Chain Slack

Guest Black Knight

Rocker66

If the sprocket is worn it will knock out a even a new chain quickley. False economy not to replace worn sprockets

• Like 1
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ddazzler64

• embee

• ncmf

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One thing I have found interesting, what with me being a chain newbie and having compared to NC chain with the CB - The NC's chain looks like it could barely cope with a small child's pedal bike, wher

If you want to know the correct method of adjusting your chain August BIKE mag page 111 has a walk through on chain adjustment. The NC is done with the bike on the side stand and not on a centerstand

I quite like the Tutora Oiler, it's fairly basic and is easy to fit & set up by yourself, there' no complicted wiring to worry about and prices are reasonable.

I always err on the side of slack rather than tight.

As discussed plenty of times elsewhere, as the suspension moves and the gearbox sprocket/swingarm pivot/rear wheel spindle move into alignment the chain slack reaces a minimum. If the slack is all removed just before the alignment is reached, the chain will become very heavily tensioned (due to the leverage effect) and this will put very high loads into bearings, chain pins, and between chain and sprockets. This will wear chains very quickly. Not only are the forces high, but if there is no slack side to the chain as it rotates, the grease between the pins and bushes in the links can't spread back round the bush and just gets squeezed out of the side taking all the force. 

I checked on my Integra and the minimum slack is with the wheel lifted about 60mm from fully extended, I'm not sure if the geometry is the same as the "S", I would have thought it probably is. The "X" is probably a bit different. Following this check I now set the Integra chain at NO LESS THAN 35mm slack in order that it does not go tight at 60mm travel.

In 9000 miles I have adjusted my chain 3 times. Hate scotoilers just use a standard chain lube and not very often.  WD40 is not suitable for lubricating a chain, it's more a cleaner than a lubricant.

That's not correct about WD40, I will post a link tomorrow.

As a total newbie (I had never even sat on a bike 12 months ago) I am amazed about the amount of ideas / methods around chain maintenance, even from the professionals, use wd-40, wd-40 will kill the o rings, oil after every ride, oil once a month etc etc

I am going to persist with more frequent lubing and see how I get on, the chain is about the worst part of the nc experience and even that is not too bad!!

WD40 does not kill O-rings I will post a link tomorrow

WD40 does not kill O-rings I will post a link tomorrow

Agree. My guess is chain O-rings are very probably nitrile (NBR), a typical "rubber" used for oil/grease environments up to around 100C, many seals in engines are nitrile. Only really aggressive solvents like benzene, acetone etc should be avoided, other mineral oils will be fine. WD40 is, I believe, (but stand to be corrected by those in the know) basically akin to a mixture of white spirit and light mineral oil, with some smelly stuff for character. I'm sure the manufacturers say there's a magic ingredient.

WD40 isn't really intended as a long term lubricant, but I know plenty of people use it as such. There are better lubricants.

The most cost effective (and often recommended by the chain manufacturers) cleaner for chains is simple paraffin/kerosene and a soft small brush, but WD40 will be fine for cleaning if you prefer. Remember that cleaning with paraffin etc will then expose the chain to corrosion so it needs protecting with oil/grease/wax.

• Like 1
Slowboy

If the sprocket is worn it will knock out a even a new chain quickley. False economy not to replace worn sprockets

Wise words sir, sprockets should always be changed when they are worn out

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...
Guest Teal

Hi, Yes I have had similar problemns with a slack chain. I bought my NC700 3months ago from a Honda dealership. The bike had been serviced by them. Two days ago the chain came off on a corner. I couldn't believe how slack it had become in just 3 mnonths presuming the chain was correctlyt tensioned at time of sale. My fault for not checking really but I am no bike mechanic really. I have contacted the dealership and am still awaiting a reply. Bit P****d off that they have not come back to me yet as it was poterntially a serious matter. I will check the chain every few weeks now as good practice. Cheers...Teal