Bent ignition key

Guest ronecc

Guest ronecc

I know some of you have broken the ignition key. Mine bent 90 degrees when the bike fell over (don't ask how it fell over) Thing is, I have no idea how the key bent. It was in the frunk and the bars cannot twist enough to hit it. Anyway, new key required. Who got the best price??

The key has a transponder built into the plastic fob - I think they're only available from Honda and the transponder will need matching to the bike ECU so it can work the inbuilt immobiliser. Looks like the dealer is the first port of call - I have heard tell they're expensive.

Rev Ken

The key has a transponder built into the plastic fob - I think they're only available from Honda and the transponder will need matching to the bike ECU so it can work the inbuilt immobiliser. Looks like the dealer is the first port of call - I have heard tell they're expensive.

There are two much cheaper ways.....

Get a blank key on e-Bay, get it cut (assuming you have a sound key) by a local locksmith, cut the old bent key 'head' off and have it on your key ring. So long as it is near the ignition lock all will be well.  Total cost could be below £10

A slightly more expensive, but 'satisfactory', way is to buy a 'proper' key with it's transponder, open up both keys and swap your 'programmed' transponder into your new key - us a dab of silicone to make sure it stays in place', and Bob's you Auntie.

There is a third way that requires a bit of wire, a resistor, and a detailed 'procedure' to programme your new key, but that will need someone who has done it to give details.

• Like 2
Guest mikmcd

Should be possible to get replacement key reasonably cheaply. I got a new one cut simply for opening the frunk & unlocking the steering but my local key cutter said he could code it if necessary. Certainly going to be cheaper than Honda replacement.

Guest ronecc

Thanks, I thought there were other ways. I had already ordered a key to be cut to use in the frunk, but typically it did not arrive before my trip. Lucky I took the spare key, but a bu..er because it was in the frunk when it got bent. Had my ordered one arrived, all would be sweet.

Rev Ken

Rev Ken are you McGyver in disguise?  :fear:

Weel ah cum frae north oh the border.............. :flowers:

• Like 1
Guest ronecc

I have managed to straighten the key. Very gently, with a pair of 'mole' grips, (with the tips protected so as not to mark the metal) I gradually tightened them, taking a bit more out of the bend with each turn of the screw. When it would straighten no more, I clamped it inside a heavy door hinge, and turned the grips up tight. I then left it for a day. When the grips were opened, I had a straight key, with no apparent cracks, that worked the ignition. Just in case anybody else has this problem, you may like to try this, before spending a fortune on a new one. It is now used as the spare key.

• 2 years later...
Guest danielsmith
You should be able to find a locksmith who can make an "impression" key for the bike. They do this by putting a blank in the ignition. They work the blank back and forth looking for the nicks of contact with the tumblers and then the file away till the key works. And Bolingbrook Locksmith can do this, but if you can't bring the bike to them, and they made you keys.

• 4 months later...
Guest Mhsilverw

Should be possible to get replacement key reasonably cheaply. I got a new one cut simply for opening the frunk & unlocking the steering but my local key cutter said he could code it if necessary. Certainly going to be cheaper than Honda replacement.

Hi

Do you have details of the blank non transponder key. A search on that auction site only seems to throw up chipped keys; is the blank suitable for other models to widen a search?

Mark

Hi

Do you have details of the blank non transponder key. A search on that auction site only seems to throw up chipped keys; is the blank suitable for other models to widen a search?

Mark

Sorry - that was about 3 years ago so can't remember details, also no longer have the NC. It was in a small independent local heel bar/key cutter so I'd imagine most of them would stock suitable blanks. Probably an after market standard part.

Guest sykospain

Most reputable key shops can sort you out - provide a new key copied from your damaged one and then program its transponder by the wire/resistor/know-what-you're-doing method, to create a new electric key.  About fifty snoojits all-in.

And a plain spare key without a transponder is useful to have for the Frunk.  I cut mine down and Araldited a black plastic bottle cap on the end to sit permanently in the Frunk keyhole.  It looks anonymous enough and sometimes I forget to take it with me when I park.

So far, no hay problema...

Never had a bike with the Hiss 2 system before and I don't actually know what it is apart from the bike won't start without it's pre programmed key . But it won't stop it being wheeled off into a waiting Transit van. I have a spare key at home which came with the bikes info pack. I'm not sure if this is pre programmed also. Conversely I had MZ bikes for work and back which only had a pointy metal stick for a key. It fitted every MZ I ever tried it in, no fancy anti theft measures and funnily no one ever touched it :)

Guest Mhsilverw

Never had a bike with the Hiss 2 system before and I don't actually know what it is apart from the bike won't start without it's pre programmed key . But it won't stop it being wheeled off into a waiting Transit van. I have a spare key at home which came with the bikes info pack. I'm not sure if this is pre programmed also. Conversely I had MZ bikes for work and back which only had a pointy metal stick for a key. It fitted every MZ I ever tried it in, no fancy anti theft measures and funnily no one ever touched it :)

TS150 brilliant, as was a Supa5 (even with a chair) and BEST of ALL a fantastic ENCLOSED CHAIN.

:-( Sadly missing from the NC series.

Derek_Mac
>snip<

There is a third way that requires a bit of wire, a resistor, and a detailed 'procedure' to programme your new key, but that will need someone who has done it to give details.

The method that works for older Hondas still works. :)

The connector you need to use is the Red connector under the battery, at least it is on an NC700X.

• 1 year later...