Speedometer display disappearing - intermittent....help!!

Guest Isis

I bought a brand new N700x in October 2012. At around 200 miles my speedo display disappeared for the first time and the engine management light appeared. I am now at 600 miles and it has been to the garage 5 times. They cannot find the cause of the problem...they have cleaned connectors....replaced a speed sensor, but it just keeps happening. It drives me mad.

Has anyone experienced this on their NC?

I have posted under the 'repairs under warranty thread', but I'm hoping an individual thread may catch someone's eye!! Old Man thought he had read about some one else having this issue....

Thanks

Guest billc700s

Try sale of goods act " fit for purpose " with Honda UK, it is a safety issue as you do not know how fast you are going, or if the bike will cut out while riding, as they have failed to rectify the fault. It is always worth trying Honda UK and asking for a written reply to your request for a working repair or a replacement bike which you will pass onto trading standards as it is the second known fault of this type and you have not had the use intended due to the repairs, the other bike on the forum was fixed with a new wiring harness a long and expensive job for a warranty repair and it seems the dealer/Honda UK  is trying to avoid having to do it.

• Like 1
Guest NCXrookie

Try sale of goods act " fit for purpose " with Honda UK, it is a safety issue as you do not know how fast you are going, or if the bike will cut out while riding, as they have failed to rectify the fault. It is always worth trying Honda UK and asking for a written reply to your request for a working repair or a replacement bike which you will pass onto trading standards as it is the second known fault of this type and you have not had the use intended due to the repairs, the other bike on the forum was fixed with a new wiring harness a long and expensive job for a warranty repair and it seems the dealer/Honda UK  is trying to avoid having to do it.

Isis

As Billc700s says, you need to show the dealer that you are ready to go down the trading standards route.  Ask to speak to the manager,  give them a letter detailing the problem.  If they do not reply within fourteen days advising you how they are going to rectify the fault then trading standards.  If you are an AA member you can get advice from their legal services.

Rocker66

The advice given by the others is spot on. The bike is not only not fit for purpose but is ileagal to use with no working speedo.

The number of low mileage bikes with faults is starting to give me concern

• Like 1
Guest jorgegofio

The advice given by the others is spot on. The bike is not only not fit for purpose but is ileagal to use with no working speedo.

The number of low mileage bikes with faults is starting to give me concern

How many members does this forum have? Bear in mind we really only hear the complaints...no problems for me after almost 8.000km. Did yours give you any trouble before you traded it in?

Rocker66

No problems other than the change recall however I was already getting concerned about the quality of finish after just one winter

Guest seanmc

Isis... It sounds like the issue i had with my bike in that the ignition lights kept coming on. Turned out to be electrical ..there is a place below the not the tank tank where the wiring harness passes a bolt.. Mine was kinked. Honda replaced the harness and all has been ok for 14000 km's

Guest ExerciseLondon

Isis

I've had same issue. Just had bike back from FirstLine Motorcycles in north London. Honda UK advised that water can leak down wiring into ECU below tank and cause this. Honda UK advise to dry the ECU thoroughly and apply grease to prevent further water penetration.

Because the issue is intermittent, as you know, I won't know if it's worked until I know it hasn't worked.

Guest scaley

I don't suppose you paid at least the deposit using a credit card or finance. This gives you the right to sue the credit provider under the consumer credit act 1974 section 75 if you get no joy with the retailer.

I have just successfully completed this in regards to a previous motorcycle purchase. Good luck

• 5 weeks later...

I had/have the same problem.

After first 400 miles the problem started. Every now and again the speedometer disappears and the engine management light goes on.

This only happens when idling for some reason, and then I switch off and back on again, and everything resets and works fine again.

The dealer told me they have had this once before, and only option is to replace ECU under warranty, but it is save to drive, while they process the warranty claim.

Honda factory informed them on receiving the claim that the bike should not be used at all, so I had to leave it there for 12 days.

That was how long it took to order the part and replace. 

I have now ridden the bike for three days, and all was well until this evening on my way home from work, the same thing happened again.

Does someone have a solution for this?

Hi Jack, welcome to the forum. I'd take the bike straight back and demand that they find and fix the fault properly - if you were to try doing anything yourself you would invalidate the warranty.

Hi Jason

Yes, The plan is to take it back, in fact I am going somewhere during the morning.

I am just trying to establish a possible cause. I have located 3 other people with the exact problem, and it seems like none of the dealers have been able to find a solution yet.

It would be nice to steer then into the correct direction, seeing that they do not know how to fix it.

steelhorseuk

You need to contact Honda UK direct, all the details are on the Honda UK web site. (My Honda) You should have registered there anyway with your details. 

(You would have recieved your owners card)

You ask to be put through to Honda customer relations dept. Tell them its very important as the bike is unsafe.

They will ask you for the reg number, maybe the VIN# and the dealer involved!

Get a case number from them and the name of the person dealing with it.

Make sure they know you are very unhappy and that you need this sorting quickly as the bike is not fit for purpose.

If you get someone on the ball they will instruct you what to do. If they do not stay on the phone until there is a plan of action for you.

Once it is resolved you must insist on compensation for time without transport, inconveniance and stress.

Mark

ps I went through all the above recently because my bike was in the dealers 7x for warranty problems!

I got compensation.

Guest seanmc

still sounds like wiring harness issue especially if they have replaced the ECU."there is a place below the not the tank tank where the wiring harness passes a bolt.. Mine was kinked".. literally the guy had ythe bike runnning and wiggled the wires and the lights came on

steelhorseuk

I don't think Honda UK will look after him in South Africa!

Fair point concerning Jack in SA (just do the equiv for SA) Ted, my point was more general based on my experiences with problems 

All the best, Mark

Thank you all for the advice. Appreciated!

I can only take the bike in tomorrow, and they will have a look again.

According to the technician the error codes logged, warranted him to replace the ECU on the bike as prescribed by there manual for the specific error code.

He will be running a new diagnostic tomorrow, and also inspect all the wiring.

seanmc, I mentioned your specific case to them, and the tech said he fixed an issue like that previously on another bike.

Which area are you in SA, maybe he fixed yours, you never know.

Anyway, I will see how round two goes.

Thanks to all.

Got the bike back on Friday, and no issues as of yet.

Seanmc, I took the bike into Centurion Honda, according to them the problem will be fixed now.

Looks like it was similar to your problem. There is apparently a cluster of grounding wires coming together under the "not a tank", and these connections were not secured properly.

• Like 2

Great, and lets hope it stays fixed....:)

Edited by wozza

Thanks for all the replies - especially those who have encountered the same problem.

I am taking it to the garage tomorrow. The dealer where I have been taking it (but not the dealer I bought it from) has asked for one more go at fixing it before I talk to Honda. I will pass on the wiring tip under "the not the tank" and see where we get to.

Jacx - please let me know if it turns out yours is not fixed!

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

HI All

Problem reappeared again on the weekend, and also this morning on the way to work.

Will have to go back to dealer again. 

Also when I started the bike this morning it struggled to start, difficulty turning over.

But when I switched off and on again it started as per normal.

I have to say that this is terrible disappointing, hopefully I can take it in tomorrow.

Don't know what they will come up with this time?