Chain and Sprockets price!!

Guest ColinB

At a disappointing 9000 miles my chain has terminal tight spots so needed replacing. My local Honda dealer charged £184.15 for the chain and sprockets and £60 to fit them. Am I out of touch or is that a bloody fortune!  The chain was well looked after and well lubed, but at this price why don't that fit an allegedly 'expensive' belt drive or a shaft?
Next time it won't go to the dealer, if there is a next time.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shiggsy

• Ralph

• embee

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The tensile strength is a bit of a red herring though, if it's strong enough it's strong enough. Sure they make different spec chains because different applications need different strength etc.   Th

I'm always told that manufacturers persist in fitting drive chains because 'they are long lasting and cheap'. My experience is that they can be one or the other - rarely both!

I can recommend the Sealy VS779 chain tool. Excellent piece of kit and not expensive. They’ve even posted a video of how to use it.    

Guest Murcuseo

You can get the standard grade DID chain for around £38 and the VX X-Ring Premium for around £99, with a couple of decent mid grades in between.

A JT sprocket is around £24.

I'm not sure how they managed to get to £184.15 plus fitting. £184.15 including fitting would be pushing it as far as I'm concerned.

Are you sure that's all the work that was done while the bike was in? I'd have a check on the invoice if I was you. 

I did mine last week had 4 tight spots , cost was £108 from calsport for chain and sprockets , fitted myself and my son well he done it i helped . 

You can get the standard grade DID chain for around £38 and the VX X-Ring Premium for around £99, with a couple of decent mid grades in between.

I'm not sure how they managed to get to £184.15 plus fitting. £184.15 including fitting would be pushing it as far as I'm concerned.

Are you sure that's all the work that was done while the bike was in? I'd have a check on the invoice if I was you. 

Definitely as just had 8000 mile service.  Now thinking about selling bike as am so disappointed with Honda's attitude.

Ditto, might be worth shopping around if you can.

I'm at about 9k too and my chain and sprockets have just about had it. I think the OEM chain is under spec for this bike, looking at the DID website the 520VX2 chain is rated to 750cc max, and the OEM chain won't be as good as that.  Interestingly their site also recommends the 525 size for NC700 (Japan Edition) ? Don't know what's going on there. 

Go ahead and get a DID 520VX2 chain and a JT rear sprocket from any dealer. The only dificult piece to get as far as I know is the front sprocket, but even if you must buy it from a Honda dealer, the entire kit is way cheaper

Guest Murcuseo

Definitely as just had 8000 mile service.  Now thinking about selling bike as am so disappointed with Honda's attitude.

I wouldn't say Honda is the problem as I use my local Honda dealers in Glasgow and both times I've had the bike in they've bumped off a half hours labour.

They also give me 10% off everything as a returning customer. I'd say whoever is managing your dealers is a fly bastard. Excuse the language.

I'm at about 9k too and my chain and sprockets have just about had it. I think the OEM chain is under spec for this bike, looking at the DID website the 520VX2 chain is rated to 750cc max, and the OEM chain won't be as good as that.  Interestingly their site also recommends the 525 size for NC700 (Japan Edition) ? Don't know what's going on there.

A chap on the US forum (although he was from the UK) did exactly that - he went up a size for his chain & sprockets and he was very pleased with the result.
Guest Pompeylad174

I've been riding bikes with belt drives (automatic scooters) for years and was surprised that the NC chain needs changing after so few miles. In general terms, what life would you expect out of a chain, either OEM or quality after market?

Guest Murcuseo

A chap on the US forum (although he was from the UK) did exactly that - he went up a size for his chain & sprockets and he was very pleased with the result.

Considering the torque range of this bike it could be extremely beneficial going for a larger size.

I'm presuming it would slightly increase your MPG as well? Slightly. Ignore me if I'm thinking like an idiot. lol

I have a Suzuki Intruder 250. 30 000 km. Just had a big service on the bike by an officila dealer and chain and sprocket are still ok.

I am very disapointed to learn I will have to change that much sooner on my NCX :getlost:

Derek_Mac

Checking the price is quite easy.

The Part number of the chain kit (chain and sprockets) is 06406-MGS-D70, if you use Lingshonda parts search you'll see what Honda UK charge for the parts.

An eye watering £184.15 plus an FRT (Flat Rate Time) of 1 hour, so maybe you could quiz your dealer on the charges for time if they charge less than £60 per hour.

You can point out that Honda actually say that the job should take one hour in their parts manual for the NC 700.

Guest Flighttime

Wow. Why such a short chain life?

I'm at 18,000Km on my 700S and the sprockets both look like new. The chain has been adjusted a couple times but still way of the stretch limit. All are original sprocket & DID chain.

I lube every 500Km with Spectro Z-Clean. The bike gets used daily. Rain, hail or snow.....

Really, it looks like I should get to 30K without to much effort.

Edited by Flighttime

It really depends on a load of things how long your chain will last. Do you keep it clean, ride it hard acceleartion wise, ride in the wet, ride on dirty roads with salt or grit, even your weight can affect it. I had a chain go at 8,000 miles on an XT660 but they are bad being single cyclinder but if you fit a scott oiler or the likes you can easy double or triple the life of a chain. One thing to also check when you change the chain is the rubber blocks inside the rear sprocket since they will also maybe need changed.

One thing I do check when I clean my chain - I check each roller individually to make sure each roller is free running. My chain is spotless and has way loads of life in it yet....... (I think)

steelhorseuk

Hey there ColinB. Thats too expensive for an NC sprocket and chain. Did the dealer fit a standard 520 O ring OEM replacement?

If it was me there would be another email to Honda UK complaining!! They will then ask who the dealer is and sort it for you....

All the best

Mark

ddazzler64

Yup, my dealer was going to charge pretty much the same - £160.  I went with a recommended mechanic and had another put on. Sprockets are around for the front - which is what was knackered more on mine than the chain.  Mechanic charged £130 total.  He did think that i should "upgrade" the chain and sprockets to a bigger size, but i declined this: scardy-cat that i am. 

Mind you, being out of warrantee means i could change it I guess.  

stay safe out there

I always used to find that you could double your chain life if you change the front sprocket early. As it's that which seems to go first then nacker the rest.

So try and change that before you see any wear, say every 5 or 6 thousand miles or so.

Guest esullivan

I have 11,300-ish miles and my chain is nearing the end of the adjustment, and it has tight spots. I discussed it with the dealer today and discovered all of the above -- the OEM chain and sprocket kit is overpriced and made of chocolate. Can someone point me at somewhere where I can buy the 525 size chain and sprockets?

• 4 weeks later...

Just put my new chain and sprockets on today, used a DID 520 VX2 Premium Gold (£98) and a JT Rear sprocket - JTR1303 (£23).  JT do a front sprocket but it doesn't appear to be available in this country yet, I emailed JT UK to see if I could get hold of it anywhere and they just referred me to a couple of on-line sites, so I emailed one (Wemoto) who listed the rear JT sprocket, to see if they could get hold of the front one too. Never got a reply from them but next time I looked at their site they listed the front sprocket but not currently purchasable.  Unfortunately my chain was already making the clack clack sound so I couldn't wait to see if it was going to arrive anytime soon and had to order the Honda OEM item (£40!).

The old front one was quite badly hooked. For anyone else is doing this, I couldn't find the torque values anywhere, so they are front sprocket bolt  54 nm, rear sprocket nuts 108 nm.  I rang the dealer to order the Workshop Manual, something I have been meaning to do for ages, and then ask him what the torque values were in the meantime, he gave me the values which is just as well as he said Honda don't release the Workshop Manuals to the public. That's a bit disappointing.

Be interesting to see how much longer this chain sprocket kit lasts.

I purchased a DID VX2 chain for my Integra last week from the Busters shop on the auction site as it was a bit cheaper (£62) than the lsting on their website. In my experience always a good supplier.

Their website lists full chain&sprocket kits for the X and S, for example (hope the link works)

http://spares.busters-accessories.co.uk/k3/category/10199000000/vehicle/71876/?k3_editor=

(Edit - the link seems to take you to an RK endless chain option for some reason, just go back into the previous section to choose option)

Edited by embee
ddazzler64

Considering the torque range of this bike it could be extremely beneficial going for a larger size.

My mechanic said this but i renewed with the same size due to the warrantee 

Guest johnsosn

Just came back from my Honda dealer after they fitted a 525 chain and sprockets. I don't think there will be a warranty problem with the dealer fitting them.