Chain and Sprockets price!!

Guest ColinB

Newoldbiker

My OE chin made 21000 miles.  Just changed it - bought a DID 520 X chain and sprocket set from Bike Torque Racing for £92 delivered to my house.  Then paid £50 to fit it myself at the Oval Motorcycle Centre aided by the excellent staff there - Matt and Lewis - so £142 for a much better chain the the OE one fitted in 2 hours by your truly - where on earth Honda get off on charging £180 just for the chain and sprockets!!

One other thing - Matt at OVC - was surprised at the poor quality of the OE chain - he thought Honda always fitted DID chains - this was definitely the OE chain as I've had the bike from new.  Having said that t did last 21K miles so I guess I got my monies worth. 

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shiggsy

• Ralph

• embee

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The tensile strength is a bit of a red herring though, if it's strong enough it's strong enough. Sure they make different spec chains because different applications need different strength etc.   Th

I'm always told that manufacturers persist in fitting drive chains because 'they are long lasting and cheap'. My experience is that they can be one or the other - rarely both!

I can recommend the Sealy VS779 chain tool. Excellent piece of kit and not expensive. They’ve even posted a video of how to use it.    

DaveM59

What chain splitter/staking tool does anyone use or recommend?

• 3 weeks later...

Had my chain and sprockets changed yesterday a Honda DID standard one plus rear brake pads changed £252 parts and labour, I was quite happy with the price as I do not have the skill to do the work myself

Huskyteer

I also received new chain and sprockets yesterday! DID, 40 minutes' labour, total £155.

Alice, that is a very very good price. The cost of the chain and sprockets for me was £113, pads £40 the rest was labour....! I might have to query it? 

Huskyteer

Your chain should be easier than mine to fit, as the Integra has more plastics. Maybe the brake pads were a pain?

Guest sykospain

Guys like Gareth in Newton Abbott should take heart from Delboy on YouTube - he of the "Delboy's Garage" DIY bike maintenance videos.  He has chapter and verse on chain drives in a detailed ½ hour vid about the importance of checking the pesky front sprocket - and how straightforward it is to change the usually incredibly tightly-attached sprocket, provided you're aware of his imaginative work-around tip.

The front sprocket on most bikes is applied with a 90Nm air-wrench during factory assembly, but if you have available a 36mm socket with breaker bar or a hefty 36mm ring spanner, and know of Delboy's clever trick, starting off by removing the rear wheel, the job is 'simples - tsk' :- 

https://youtu.be/zxXKo7kwAIU

Edited by sykospain
  • 1 year later...
MikeBike

I have sticky links after 16,500miles on the OEM chain (Tutoro Oiler) although sprockets look good and chain never needed adjustment.

So have ordered the upgraded DID VX2 in Gold for my 2015 750 X DCT:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/chain-520-VX2-X-Ring-Gold-112-Links-Continuous/dp/B00UL9EIK8/ref=nav_signin?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1503418953&sr=1-22&keywords=did+520+vx2+112&

NB: Continuous. Seems a bargain at under £59.64 with free delivery  and cheaper than the £73.48 at Busters.

Front Sprocket £17.33

http://www.busters-accessories.co.uk/en/vehicle/honda-nc-750:74673/article/609255

Rear Sprocket £21.38

http://www.busters-accessories.co.uk/en/vehicle/honda-nc-750:74673/article/510111

So new DID VX2 chain and sprockets for £98.35

Not sure if dealer will fit third party parts, but I'll ask.

MikeBike

The parts received from Busters were not as ordered. They were not JT (seems like they know this as tried to defend) and the front sprocket was not in the centre but offset. See thread

• 3 weeks later...
MikeBike

Just to update on prices paid yesterday for new (upgraded) chain and sprockets my 2015 750x DCT:

Changed order for DID VX2 gold/black chain with split link to avoid swing arm removal by dealer (same source as amazon link above) £59.64 delivered

Honda Sprockets £90.04 inc VAT and 10% disc (compared to £40 for the offset & unbranded/non-JT ones I returned)

23801MJLD30 SPROCKET. DRIVE (17T*G  5.20 7.801  43.36  39.03
41201MGSD70 SPROCKET. FINAL DRIV*G  4.80 7.201  40.01  36.01

Fitting by Honda dealer:

1.07 hours at £72/hour (just gone up from £69) = £77.04

So total £226.72

Bike feels much better for it!

Edited by MikeBike
  • 1 month later...
pointer2null

Just doing mine - hence reading the chain and sprockets threads ...

From fleabay "JT sprocket and chain" but the front isn't a JT it's a Chiaravalli.

Fitting: £0.

Chain kit: £81 (inc delivery)

Tub of grease: £5 cause I lost the last one somewhere in the back of the shed.

• Haha 1
  • 4 weeks later...

When it comes to chains and sprockets  I have found pbr sprockets to be very good but when it comes to chains tabsuka and renthal have been my go to as they appear to offer far less resistance . I also prefer to use just the standard o ring type and use  X 1 spray oil on them . I run all weathers all year on various types of bikes no problems  and no rust . The worst chain I have used has been EK  . I will do the same if I get the xadv . On a similar powered machine to the nc on a 520 chain  20k no problems .

• 1 month later...

Evening all,

Just fitted a Scottoiler to my NC750X (2014n so its the electronic one), cleaned up the chain and after adjusting, it looks to be on the max length limit so is going to need changing sometime soon, hoping to get a couple more months out of it until the salt on the roads starts to subside before changing. The bike only has 8k on it, but reading through the posts on here, it seems the OEM items are pretty pants so 8k isn't unheard of.

So before buying a new set, a couple of questions:-

1. Number of links - looking through the seeling sites, it seems to be either 112 or 114 links? Given that the OEM has stretched so substantially, would it be worth fitting 112 links??

2. Has anyone gone down the 525 chain route?? If so, how have you got on with it? Has it had a major impact on the bikes response/MPG etc.

3. Make and type - DID seems to be the way to go but there seems to be a myriad of options, what are peoples recommendations??

4. Fitting - never fitted a chain and sprockets myself but I'm pretty handy with a set of spanners. If I go down the split link route, any pitfalls I should look out for? Or is it worth investing in a chain splitting/making tool and riveting the chain? Or if I'm going to the expense of buying tooling, just letting the local garage do it (it's due an MOT in Feb, just get them to do it at the same time??)

Thoughts/theories??

Many thanks in advance for any input, and a Happy New Year all........ :-)

Cheers.

Kev

pointer2null

Invest in a chain tool. Since I bought mine I've done 4 chains so it's paid for itself.

Changing the chain and sprockets on the NC was easy (no high torque sprocket nuts to fight with like other bikes).

I can recommend the Sealy VS779 chain tool. Excellent piece of kit and not expensive. They’ve even posted a video of how to use it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Graham NZ

Working on the NC's chain is a little easier if the chain guard is removed.  A 6mm dia hole bored through the footrest mounting plate opposite the front guard screw makes the task even easier.  I never hesitate to bore a hole if it makes things easier.

• Haha 1
  • Sigh 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2013 at 11:18, johnsosn said:

Just came back from my Honda dealer after they fitted a 525 chain and sprockets. I don't think there will be a warranty problem with the dealer fitting them.

I also converted to a 525.

Massive improvement.

now done 14K and chain and sprockets still OK , mind you I did fit a Turoro oiler at the same time, never been a big fan of oilers, but they really do work.

On 12/31/2017 at 17:30, pointer2null said:

Invest in a chain tool. Since I bought mine I've done 4 chains so it's paid for itself.

Changing the chain and sprockets on the NC was easy (no high torque sprocket nuts to fight with like other bikes).

I know, but although I am a competent mechanic (previously rebuilt engines/gearboxes etc) I really hate this job.

Fortunately I have an ex Honda bike mechanic (retired) living locally who does it for me.

He does a proper job, last time he noticed that my rear brake caliper needed a service and did that also.

Saves me the hassle and gives him a few bob, everyone is a winner  :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...
TheEnglishman

I'm doing mine at the weekend.  I buy a pre-ritited chain and take the swing arm off as I'm greasing/checking all the bearings.  I'm sure it's ok but personally I wouldn't trust a split link.  <PeteAndDud>I like my right leg and appreciate having something against it</PeteAndDud> ;)

The job's not difficult, just time consuming.  

Edited by TheEnglishman