Chain and Sprockets price!!

Guest ColinB

The link to the other site's chain discussion seems to be inaccurate, they are saying that the 525 chain is just wider and heavier and offers no benefit. That doesn't sound right otherwise why would they make it?  D.I.D have a specification chart, and if you look at that the 525VX chain is manufactured with higher tensile strength and wear resistance compared to the 520VX2. Obviously its heavier and will affect mpg.  

usaSpecs2014.jpg

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shiggsy

• Ralph

• embee

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The tensile strength is a bit of a red herring though, if it's strong enough it's strong enough. Sure they make different spec chains because different applications need different strength etc.   Th

I'm always told that manufacturers persist in fitting drive chains because 'they are long lasting and cheap'. My experience is that they can be one or the other - rarely both!

I can recommend the Sealy VS779 chain tool. Excellent piece of kit and not expensive. They’ve even posted a video of how to use it.    

The tensile strength is a bit of a red herring though, if it's strong enough it's strong enough. Sure they make different spec chains because different applications need different strength etc.

The slightly lower wear rate is because the pin bearing length is slightly longer and the rollers/bushes are wider, so more metal there, but the difference between 3500 and 3600 wear resistance index is hardly dramatic.

The 520VX2 performs well on the NC in my experience, that's what I have on mine and a world of difference to the poxy OE item.

Fit a 525 if you wish.

• Like 2
Mike5100

but ..... the standard chain on mine is a DID.  How do we know that the OE chain is so much worse than the 520VX2 which DID sell at inflated prices to punters like us.  Surely Honda's engineers will have worked with them to produce a chain well suited to the job.

Having said that I'm about to buy an aftermarket DID chain but the dealer says it's a 520VXGB  and I can't see that in DID's current product range.

Mike

• Like 1
Slowboy

but ..... the standard chain on mine is a DID.  How do we know that the OE chain is so much worse than the 520VX2 which DID sell at inflated prices to punters like us.  Surely Honda's engineers will have worked with them to produce a chain well suited to the job.

Having said that I'm about to buy an aftermarket DID chain but the dealer says it's a 520VXGB  and I can't see that in DID's current product range.

Mike

Mike, alternatively they may have worked with them to get a chain that gets through the warranty period a minimum cost, thus reducing the unit cost of the bike and hitting their cost/ profit targets. Bottom line is fit what you think and pay what you can justify. The rest is down to trust. Me, I agree with Murray that a 520VX2 is a pretty good choice, inflated price or no.
  • Like 1

Very useful discussion. I just cant come to a conclusion without studying all the pro and cons.

Yes. as Peter says, the difference in feel between the OE DID O-ring chain and the VX2 "X-ring" chain is night and day, the VX2 feels smooth and free compared to the stiff feel of the std chain. They obviously selected a chain spec which would meet the mechanical requirements but at minimum cost (witness the fact that they used 3 different suppliers/sources for the OE chain on the 700 originally, which is  why they ended up with the recall. ) 

• Like 1
steelhorseuk

I can vouch for the VX2-520 X-Ring.

My NC700SA went through three OEM (DID) O-ring chains during the warranty period. (All within 5K miles)

On warranty expiry I fitted the DID VX2 Pro X-ring GOLD and the difference is there in performance and reliability.

-Mark- 

I'm always told that manufacturers persist in fitting drive chains because 'they are long lasting and cheap'. My experience is that they can be one or the other - rarely both!

:)

• Like 2

Does anyone have details of a supplier for DID 520VX2 520X112 chain, a 17T front sprocket and a 39T rear sprocket for my NC750XD. JT sprocket don't list the sprockets for my bike and neither does AFAM. As the uses 17T front and 39T rear sprockets I can't use the ones for the 700x. Any clue where I can buy these? Thanks.

I got my chain from Busters because I had a voucher at the time. I checked their own website and their shop on the auction site, and the shop version turned out to be  a bit cheaper. Other places to checkout are M&P and Wemoto.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest nibbler

Had to have my chain and sprockets replaced at my 8k service the other week got charged £184 plus labour and wasn't very impressed as they also charged me £50 plus labour for a new set of front pads

I have read with interest this thread as my chain is completely goosed after 9500 miles with a chain oiler, although I commute even in the winter. The standard NC750X front sprocket is 17 teeth. I looked at JT sprockets catalogue which lists the 17T sprocket. B & C express are the UK distributor and after speaking to them today, they have no stock. JT are going to introduce it but it may be some weeks away. I have been told to ring weekly for an update.

I also rang Bike Torque Racing in Frome. They are UK distributors for Afam who I have used many times before and are very helpful. Afam are listing the 17 tooth front but again no stock. BTR have a delivery due around the end of March which may have the 17T included. If not it should definately be in the next shipment which will be sometime the week starting 20 Apr. Prices from AFAM;

17T front £18.57

43T rear £27.70

Afam 520 x 114 link chain £59.98

Prices include VAT.

If I can't wait I may have to use 16T front. Has anyone with a 750 used the 16T?

The Honda OE 17T is £49.56 I think, without VAT. Yikes.... I know I need to do something soon as my chain is in terminal stretch mode and I do approximately 1500 miles a month!

shiggsy

Whats the state of your front sprocket, is it hooked up? Mine was on my 700x when I replaced the chain and sprockets at similar mileage with DID VX2 and a JT Rear sprocket, but like you I couldn't get a JT front sprocket at the time and went with the Honda oem at +£40 quid.  However when I checked again after about 9k mileage of use, the front sprocket was still in good shape as opposed to being  knackered.  

Edited by shiggsy

I haven't looked at front yet. To be honest, the rear looks pretty good it's the chain that's not fared well. I won't be keeping the sprockets though! I may go with a 16T front until 17T arrives with UK distributors. I will pull cover off the front later today and have a look at condition of front.

Well I took off sprocket cover today to look at state of front sprocket. It looks in reasonable shape as does the back. This leads me to believe that the Tutoro chain oiler is doing a good job and it's just a poor quality chain that Honda have used. I am going to order a JT drive kit tomorrow. That way when the 17T front is launched in UK I can just replace the front sprocket. I'll probably be fitting it at the weekend.

• Like 1

Let us know how you get on with the 16T. In theory, you should increase your acceleration but decrease your economy. Bearing that in mind, and the fact you're buying two front sprockets instead of one, I would be tempted to go OE on the front as being the cheapest solution in the long term.

I agree with the acceleration economy bit Tex. However, even buying 2 front sprockets is more economical than the ludicrously priced OE item! Getting the JT kit will mean the machining should be the same as rear. I'd wait a bit longer but my chain really is that bad now :(

Tonyj

Had to have my chain and sprockets replaced at my 8k service the other week got charged £184 plus labour and wasn't very impressed as they also charged me £50 plus labour for a new set of front pads

where did you get this done

I just purchased a DID VX2 112 Link chain off the auction site for 69.95 Delivered.

I also got a 39 tooth rear JT Sprocket for 24.00 Delivered.

It has been impossible to get an aftermarket 17T Front, so rang round a few Honda Dealers and managed to get an OEM one from the most helpful Honda parts Dept I have yet come across - Blackpool Honda who agreed that Honda's pricing was high, I asked them if they could maybe give me a bit off and they said sure - and gave me 25% which brought the cost down to 39.00 delivered. What nice chaps.

As my original chain and sprockets will have lasted 18000 miles by the time I replace them in 2 weeks, (and the fact I will be replacing them myself) I think the total cost for the job is pretty good value.

Cheers,

Mike.

• Like 1

Well I changed chain & sprockets today. I bought JT from local shop outside where I work as I could pick up on my way home rather faff with delivery. On inspection of front sprocket, it has started to hook. Rear looked ok. Chain was really badly worn out. I will test it on Tuesday to see what difference 1 tooth smaller on front makes. I could have just gone for smaller rear but I think changing front to 17T will be quicker and easier option and will allow more chain adjustment as wheel will be further forward in swing arm. I paid £87 for the kit. Took me a couple of hours as I cleaned off a load of crud and greased up spindle, fitted new rear tyre and noticed I need a set of new rear brake pads. The dealer changed the fronts about 1500 miles ago but didn't comment on rears. One pad is scarily thin so hopefully pads will arrive Monday.

• Like 1

Well, as expected little less speed at same revs but not overly noticeable. Don't know about economy yet. Still, bike feels much smoother now :)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Alfie434

I purchased a Honds Chain and sprocket, it appeared to be a DID O ring chain, cheap as chips, plus  non descript sprockets, all set me back more money than i paid for the gold chain and sprockets. I made it last 14000 miles and will be fitting a DID Gold X Ring chain and JT sprockets this weekend.   

I have found the fuel economy to be better now I've changed chain and sprockets even with 16T front. I can only assume there is less friction with the new set up and the motor has bedded in after 11K!