Low speed clunking

JaseR

This morning as I was pulling away I heard an intermittent clunk coming from somewhere by my feet. It appears to happen only when power is being applied as if I pull the clutch in or throttle back it stops. Anything over about 20 mph means I can't hear/feel it but I can't say I've noticed it before as I normally wear ear plugs and I've not been on the bike for nearly a week.

I cleaned and checked the chain about 100 miles ago and can't say I noticed anything wrong with it - about to phone the dealer and have a chat to them about it.

While I was tempted to say "go faster," it seems as if you've already received better advice!

Spoken to the dealer, they're happy to have a look abd have suggested a stiff link.

And yes, I tightened the chain to take up the slack... (but I didn't notice any clunking before, which didn't mean it wasn't happening)

Steve Blackdog

Spoken to the dealer, they're happy to have a look abd have suggested a stiff link.

And yes, I tightened the chain to take up the slack... (but I didn't notice any clunking before, which didn't mean it wasn't happening)

If you look at the manual, there is meant to be quite a lot of slack.  I tested mine thinking it was too loose, but it was just right according to the book.

• Like 1

Aye, I think it might be a combination of tight chain and a stiff link, I'll see if I can unadjust the chain later :)

Checked the chain and had a couple of stiff links which enjoyed some more oil and I relaxed the chain tension and everything seems okay....

• 3 months later...
Rev Ken

I have this problem too, thought it was a problem with the chain but after having this checked a number of times it seems to be the rear cush drive

Sounds a possibility. When getting my fourth set of tyes at 20,000 miles (CBF1000. There was still some meat on them but I was off on a European tour) I was shown the rear cush drive - a rubber 'spider' - and was complimented that it was still in one piece as apparently they do fail, particularly if gear changes are not smooth. Not that I'm suggesting you're one of them! It confirmed that my clutchless gear changes aren't abusing my gearbox and rear drive.

Guest nc700ls

I've only just bought this bike one of triumphs used bikes and they are being difficult about the problem. The cush drive is not covered under the Honda warranty either.

Rev Ken

I've only just bought this bike one of triumphs used bikes and they are being difficult about the problem. The cush drive is not covered under the Honda warranty either.

It is a simple diy job as you just take off the rear wheel, take out the rubber cush drive, replace with a new one -I don't know how much they cost, but it SHOULDN'T cost much. That is for a CBF1000 , but I would be surprised if the NC series is different.

Guest motorboy

You need to keep an eye on that chain once you find stiff kinks that it.Oil can not get pass the O rings to lube the pins that are dry it will only get worse. 

Mike5100

Yeah on my 700X I thought I could save the chain which had several stiff links by liberal application of oil, but over the next 100 miles or so, red dust (or rather red sludge) was evident on the swingarm - particularly where the chain hits the nylon guide.

Mike

• 1 month later...
Guest nc700ls

It turns out after finely getting triumph to agree to sort the cush drive that it was a ceased link in the chain, so they replaced the chain and sprockets and lubricated the cush drive, so redeemed themselves in the end