Guest andyrooster

Honda heated grips instructions/help?

Guest andyrooster

Hi all,

I've got an X that has the Honda heated grips that were fitted by the previous owner. When I bought the bike I didn't get any instructions for the grips.

My question is, has anybody got a copy of the instructions or give me an overview of how they work?

I have worked out how to switch them on and with a bit of trial and error I can normally get them to turn off but I'm wondering if there are different modes or heat settings?

Sorry for sounding dumb!

Thanks

Andy

shiggsy

You got the type with one button and three red lights?

Dave D

Press and hold initially and the light will flash 3 times (which repeats 7 times), that puts then on the high setting, press and hold the button again for a few seconds and the light will flash twice )which again repeats 7 times) which puts the into medium, press and hold again and the light will flash once (x7) which will put them on the low setting.

Press and hold again will turn them off.

Switching off the ignition will also turn the heated grips off.

shiggsy

Well I haven't done the press and hold thing and I don't have the instruction manual as mine also came without it 2nd hand, but:

Press once turns on and sets at full power, all 3 LED's on and then you press repeatedly to lower the power.

I find:

2nd press press makes the top LED dim slightly.

3rd  press makes the top LED slightly more.

4th  press makes the middle LED dim.

5th press makes the middle LED dim slightly more

6th press turns it off (i think?)

chris

The Honda heated grips only have one LED, control process as described by Dave

shiggsy

These are what I have and are sold as Honda Heated Grips:

untitled12.jpg

Guest andyrooster

Thank you Dave, I knew there was more to it! Much appreciated.

Shiggsy, those in the picture aren't the OEM Honda heated grips but thanks anyway.

Cheers

Andy

Mike5100

Yes the later incarnations of the heated grips are very neat and so far very reliable.  Mind you they should be at 10 times the price of aftermarket ones :-(

Mine are adjusted via the single pressbutton

Mike

Edited by Mike5100

Guest Vento3600

One press on.

Second press medium

Third press full

Fourth press medium

Fifth press off.

chris

One press on.

Second press medium

Third press full

Fourth press medium

Fifth press off.

Honda grips are one press full, second press medium, third press low, fourth press off.

Heat output is very good. They are very expensive but look very neat, just like original parts.

Guest Vento3600

One press on.

Second press medium

Third press full

Fourth press medium

Fifth press off.

Honda grips are one press full, second press medium, third press low, fourth press off.

Heat output is very good. They are very expensive but look very neat, just like original parts.

Will check next time I'm out - mine seem to get hotter on the second press, although that just might be my anger as to how hard it is to press the button with winter gloves on!

shiggsy

Thank you Dave, I knew there was more to it! Much appreciated.

Shiggsy, those in the picture aren't the OEM Honda heated grips but thanks anyway.

Cheers

Andy

Yes they are, Honda Part No. 08T50-EWA-800C

(I'm not saying they are any good btw! I think the push button system is crap )

Dave D

I like them they are simple to operate have a good heat output and I used mine all last winter commuting, although riding home in the early hours at -4 degrees isn't something I'll be missing this winter!

shiggsy

I agree, nothing wrong with the heat output from the grips, I just find the button system a bit clunky, if I have them on medium and want to turn them up one setting I have to press the button 5 times. The Oxford grips with a dial system I have used previously was so much easier.

chris

The heated grips listed for the NC700 are 08T50 MGE 800, they're the 360° type. Honda used also to list a 180° type where the heater elements only covered half the grip. They also probably have several different versions for other models they've produced over the years. So I guess we might not all be talking of the same product.

I've got the MGE 800 version on my bike and they work very well: It took me a while to get used to the press button - the tip of the thumb of my glove tends to fold over and if I press with that then the button doesn't work. Now I can operate them quickly without having to look to see what setting I'm on.

I like the design - very neat and tidy. I do wish the pricing was more sensible though, they work out something close to £250 here - plus the relay and harness.

Guest Stavig

I have the new ones fitted. But I am away from home for another week. I do have the manual and I will post it as soon as i come back. Its been a month since I last saw my bike but I think they have the switch on the grip instead of being mounted on the bar and they have 3 leds. Its been a month since I last saw my bike but if i remember correct because I switched them on once in my life they work one to switch them on and go on lower. One more for medium one more for full and one more for off.

I'll scan and post the manual when i get back

ken218

hi chaps, 

sorry to bring up the old thread. I am about to get a NC750, with 3 different options on heated grips.

08T50-MGE-800: new style, very sleek looking, but some said it generates less heat, and costs over 250 fitted.

08T50-EWA-800C: the older model with the control box, which looks rather ugly, but is still genuine Honda part and about 150 fitted.
Oxford (not sure the model number): it is... well, oxford, the cheapest, only 120 fitted. 

I was wondering which one you guys will go for, and the reason?

Thanks a lot

Chris750

I can recommend the Honda ones with the ugly if they are the 360 heat version. I have them on two bikes, very good.

ken218

mm... now the next question... how do i know if it is the 360 degree heated version?

Even worse, the "good looking" version seems to have different part numbers too

08T50-MGE-800 seems to be for NC700

08T70-MJL-D10 is for NC750, but said to have discontinued

08T70-MJN-A01 is the part number I found on Honda website

:S

Chris750

I have a spare set, I'll have a look and post the part No, out at mo.

ken218

Thanks so much Chris.

Chris750

Part No 08T50-EWA-800C

I bought a few sets from Doble Honda who currently have them on an auction site item No 401479473528

The NC specific kits come with a new throttle tube where as these ones you have to do a little plastic removal from the throttle tube as it has a bell end on the NC's!!

I can only compare them to the CRF grips with the integrated switch which are adequate but setting 5 is about the same heat as setting 3 on the ones with the ugly box. 

For the price difference I'd put up with the box.

ken218

the review on the Honda integrated heated grips seems very inconsistent, feel like I should just avoid it :(  but I really like how it is integrated to the dashboard display.

between the old ugly Honda OEM and Oxford, Oxford's control box looks nicer, but I suspect the dealer I am buying from only has the old Oxford models (which has power, +, -, 3 buttons)

is there any benefit buying Honda ones over Oxford?