16,000 Mile Service Cost

JaseR

Hi all,

Just started looking around for price of a 16,000 mile service - been told it's in the region of £350 - £375 so far!

I'll keep looking.....and updating....

Other dealer has quoted £320 (depending on adjustments) + parts (fluids, filters, spark plugs, etc) but if I did an annual service (£160 (£120 at the other dealer)) and then did the 16k not long after then they'd not redo the fluids/parts from the annual....

Something to think about :D

Edited by JaseR

That's pretty steep, at my current annual mileage that would take me 5 years to reach but it's a shame that those with a cast iron backside are being so roundly punished.

I just did the 12,000 mile service on my CB.

I went by the workshop manual so it cost me;

Oil and filter - £30

Air filter - £12

Spark plugs - £10

Brake fluid - £4

My time minus PG Tips - £0

Total - £56

Honda dealer quote? £320! On yer bike! (pardon the pun)

Cemented my belief that main dealer servicing is one MASSIVE ripoff!

Guest esullivan

What is the big cost element that makes it so different from my £145 including valve adjustment  at 8,000 miles?

According to the maintenance schedule in the manual, the difference is they replace the air cleaner and the clutch oil filter and "inspect" the spark plug. That's it. But I suspect this service is when they actually check quite a lot of things (e.g., open up and look at the steering head bearings, valve clearance) instead of just checking a box and stamping the book. The 8,000 mile service, as far as I can see, consisted of changing the oil. There was nothing in the invoice about valve clearance checks (other than maybe twisting the throttle?), for example.

Yesterday, I had one rear Tyre replaced bt023, new clutch cable, oil and filter change and a general once over, £275. and thats the cheapest I could find. 

Guest EasyTiger

What is the big cost element that makes it so different from my £145 including valve adjustment  at 8,000 miles?

According to the maintenance schedule in the manual, the difference is they replace the air cleaner and the clutch oil filter and "inspect" the spark plug. That's it. But I suspect this service is when they actually check quite a lot of things (e.g., open up and look at the steering head bearings, valve clearance) instead of just checking a box and stamping the book. The 8,000 mile service, as far as I can see, consisted of changing the oil. There was nothing in the invoice about valve clearance checks (other than maybe twisting the throttle?), for example.

I think that's probably true - no automatic valve adjustment at 8,000. When Fowlers of Bristol quoted me £353 for the 8,000 mile service one explanation by a salesman later was "worst case in case they need to adjust the valve clearances"...

Thunder Road at Cwmbran did mine, they did check and said they did make an adjustment - they included 2.5 hours labour in the £145.00 as well as consumables and VAT. Which is why at first sight Jase's quote seems high by comparison. I know there are additional changes like the oil on a DCT then, but £200 difference on a bike Honda trumpet for its low running cost?

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone that has had the 8,000 or 16,000 mile service, or have done their own service at home.

Can you tell me, what the valve clearances were?

I want to do a valve check at 4000 miles to see where they are.

If they are still in the middle great!

I have read that at 8000 one guy had to adjust a couple of valves as they were a slightly tight, and his bike ran better after the adjustment

Edited by westgl