Sign in to follow this  
odansky

Helmet Camera

odansky

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for an action/helmet camera so i will be able to document my rides.

I would like the camera to have:

continuing recording/car mode (once the sd card is full, the camera will override the first files etc) 

simple recording (just a button to start and stop recording)

waterproof (for riding in heavy rain).

1080p

good low light recording.

around the £100

maybe mount it to the handlebar or the helmet (I have neotech)

Does anyone have any camera model to recommend?

Thanks, Omer

Guest engasal

I have an HD170 Stealth. Yeah it cost me about 180 quid but it's a pretty good piece of kit, but it doesn't delete stuff when full up. If you're looking for £100 then your best bet is second hand. Search my username on youtube to see what it's like. Plugging my content wheeee!

I hear bullet cameras are the way to go if you just want fuss free recording. You can wire them into your bike to start when you turn the bike on etc.

Edited by engasal

slowboy

I use a go pro hero 2 and am very pleased with the results. I have a 12v socket and a charger with a couple of spare batteries. Easy to use with a bit of practice.

Rev Ken

Mounting a camera on to a Neotec is not as easy as on a 'non-flip' helmet. Mounting it on your bike might be easier. Also if on your helmet, battery life is a limiting factor, unless you find some way of wiring yourself up. I've got a very cheap video camera, but haven't yet worked out where to mount it. I am wondering if I could fix it to my jacket shoulder, similar to the police, but think it would resemble a parrot rather than a camera.... :D

odansky

Mounting a camera on to a Neotec is not as easy as on a 'non-flip' helmet. Mounting it on your bike might be easier. Also if on your helmet, battery life is a limiting factor, unless you find some way of wiring yourself up. I've got a very cheap video camera, but haven't yet worked out where to mount it. I am wondering if I could fix it to my jacket shoulder, similar to the police, but think it would resemble a parrot rather than a camera.... :D

LOL, you could be the pirate rider, just keep saying RRRRR while riding :-)

ScaredyCat

Polly want a cracker?

Edited by ScaredyCat

Rev Ken

Mmmmm I'm not sure I would want a kiddy's harness, but I might be interested in an eye patch.

wozza

On Techmoan's website, he thinks the best cam you can get for around £100 is the TCL SCV200.

If you're not aware Techmoan does a lot of sport camera reviews and he has over 40,000 subscribers on YouTube.

odansky

I had this exact camera for 3 days!!!  on the third day I took it out of its waterproof housing (as i left it on the bike), and then I managed to drop it while walking from the bike to the office (about 30 meters), but it fell on the the lens.

3 days...and I have a broken £110 camera.

BTW - on the second day it froze after 10 mins or riding...not sure what was the issue, but I didn't have the chance to see if it happens again :-(

wozza

Ah that's a shame. Talk about unlucky....:(

Guest Mashie1964

I was a cheapskate and went for a Veho Muvi MD80. Good quality but no camera shake correction and the wind sound when the Microphone is on is unbearable. Here's my very first outing with it set up inside the helmet on a ride on my 700X (Turn volume down, trust me)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Zhd0tU_JcY

wozza

Get a camera that you can use an external microphone, as you can then move it out of the wind.

odansky

Hey guys, thanks for the update.

I ended up buying the new Drift Ghost-S. I must admit that from using the camera last night for the first time there is no comparison to the SVC-200. its on a different league.

I drove in the evening (7PM) -M25 and M4. the camera was on mounted to my handlebar using my old/new/broken SVC-200 mount. it mounted perfectly. no shakes, perfect video, and I used external mic which made the sound quiet. I will upload a clip soon. Let me know what you think.

Now I am searching for a video on how to mount the drift to shoei neotec (let me know if you find any).

Thanks, 

Omer

• Like 1

tc3

Hey guys, thanks for the update.

I ended up buying the new Drift Ghost-S. I must admit that from using the camera last night for the first time there is no comparison to the SVC-200. its on a different league.

I drove in the evening (7PM) -M25 and M4. the camera was on mounted to my handlebar using my old/new/broken SVC-200 mount. it mounted perfectly. no shakes, perfect video, and I used external mic which made the sound quiet. I will upload a clip soon. Let me know what you think.

Now I am searching for a video on how to mount the drift to shoei neotec (let me know if you find any).

Thanks, 

Omer

Lucky man, i would like one of those for my trip abroad in June. The feature where you can only save the last few minutes when pressing the remote is a huge space saver for the memory card and ideal for a long trip.

odansky

True, but there are some downsides to it as well. I think that a lot of the times if something happens, you forget to press the button, and then you missed it (even though it can record up to 10 mins before, 10 during , 10 mins after (30 mins all together), if you had an accident or something like that, you might forget to press the button.

I must admit , I am very excited!

will keep you guys up-to-date,

Omer

ste7ios

My favorite is Contour+ / Contour+ 2. It comes with a waterproof case (up to 60m ! ) and has a lot of mounting solutions, ext. microphone jack & GPS.

I don't believe that you'll find an action camera with this 'car' mode. And IMHO it's silly. You may lost a very nice or important moment!

Also I wouldn't recommend 1080p. 720p @ 50 fps is descent enough even on an 1080p display and smooth (25 fps are not enough for motorcycle speeds) and it needs less storage capacity than 1080p, and it's easier to edit on a computer.

And if you want sound an external microphone is necessary, installed in a protected area from the wind. Even a microphone with a dead cat can not cope winds of above 20kph...

And lastly, If you want to check the quality of a camera's quality don't look at YouTube. It drops quality in favor of small video sizes.

tc3

Also I wouldn't recommend 1080p. 720p @ 50 fps is descent enough even on an 1080p display and smooth (25 fps are not enough for motorcycle speeds) and it needs less storage capacity than 1080p, and it's easier to edit on a computer.

I have a Contour Roam2 and prefer to use it at 1080 30 fps then 720 60 fps as you can clearly see the difference in quality. It runs smooth enough and I can still capture blur free pictures from the movie when I want to grab a frame. I have used 720 60 fps a few times when I wanted to slow down the movie.

I am pretty sure if you are using 720 at either 50 or 60 fps it uses the same amount of space on card then if you are using 1080 at 25 or 30 fps so that point is not really valid

Edited by tc3

odansky

My favorite is Contour+ / Contour+ 2. It comes with a waterproof case (up to 60m ! ) and has a lot of mounting solutions, ext. microphone jack & GPS.

I don't believe that you'll find an action camera with this 'car' mode. And IMHO it's silly. You may lost a very nice or important moment!

And if you want sound an external microphone is necessary, installed in a protected area from the wind. Even a microphone with a dead cat can not cope winds of above 20kph...

And lastly, If you want to check the quality of a camera's quality don't look at YouTube. It drops quality in favor of small video sizes.

The Contour 2  was definitely only my list when I started looking for action cameras. it was actually at the top of my list initially, but sadly I have been told that its low light / night / UK winter weather is not the best to say the least. So i had to turn away and keep on searching.

Maybe in the future (when they come back from administration) they will come up with a new version which is good for low light.

Also, the Contour 2 plus is not longer waterproof, and they recommend using the underwater housing for rain etc - which is kind of missing the point (the contour was 1 Meter waterproof without the external housing.

The Drift Ghost-S has the Car mode option! you have a couple of options with Car mode. one for auto (stop/starts when car is switched on/off), other option is manual which will start recording when you hit the record button. it will record until the end of SD card, and when full will loop and start from the first file again until you will press the record button again. When you are using the car mode, you can set the segments to be 1/3/5 mins long. 

Omer

ste7ios

I just checked the settings in Storyteller with my Contour+...

1080p @ 25 fps @ Medium quality is 10' / GiB (Full HD)

720p @ 25 fps @ Medium quality is 18' / GiB (Contour HD)

720p @ 50 fps @ Medium quality is 8' / GiB (Action HD)

So yes, you're right about the size.

ScaredyCat

I have a Contour Roam2 and prefer to use it at 1080 30 fps then 720 60 fps as you can clearly see the difference in quality. It runs smooth enough and I can still capture blur free pictures from the movie when I want to grab a frame. I have used 720 60 fps a few times when I wanted to slow down the movie.

I am pretty sure if you are using 720 at either 50 or 60 fps it uses the same amount of space on card then if you are using 1080 at 25 or 30 fps so that point is not really valid

If you run at 720p (50/60 fps) then you get ~170 degree view it drops to 125 degrees at 1080p. I prefer the wider angle. I now nave one facing forwards and one facing backwards, so that's nearly a full 360 degree view

• Like 1

tc3

Since I like to grab pics from my video I prefer the 1080 setting even if it is no so wide. Images are better quality then at the 720 setting and less distortion too.

odansky

Since I like to grab pics from my video I prefer the 1080 setting even if it is no so wide. Images are better quality then at the 720 setting and less distortion too.

where do you mount your camera? do you mount it on your helmet? or roll bar?

tc3

Depends what I want really. I either mount on my helmet or on the front brake reservoir cap on the handlebars using a mixture of mounts to allow any positioning angle and quick on/off the bike. The pic was taken at close range and makes it all look bigger than what it is

i-xwcLkbV-M.jpg

Edited by tc3

odansky

Depends what I want really. I either mount on my helmet or on the front brake reservoir cap on the handlebars

Does the helmet base mount prevent from placing your helmet in the fake tank helmet thingy?

tc3

Depends what I want really. I either mount on my helmet or on the front brake reservoir cap on the handlebars

Does the helmet base mount prevent from placing your helmet in the fake tank helmet thingy?

That all depends on the helmet and what mount you use. With the Contour I have the option to use a very slim mount. What helmet do you have?