Sign in to follow this  
bonekicker

Change Headlamp Bulb

bonekicker

It seems very ackward to change headlamp bulb do I have to remove front cowl? Please help.

Guest Quicksy

No. The easy way is to use somebody with slim hands. I changed my headlight lamp for a ultra bright from halfords a few days after getting my 700 and though it is a touch fiddley I managed it within 5 minutes. If you are going near devils bridge today ( Sunday 2nd) if you see a white nc700x it might be me and I can show you how or pm me and I will find you if needed

bonekicker

Quicksy thanks for reply, I havn't got large hands, some would say tarts hands but never mind, I changed my CB500X bulb no prob but this space is very tight, do you do it from top or bottom? 

Mike5100

Quicksy thanks for reply, I havn't got large hands, some would say tarts hands but never mind, I changed my CB500X bulb no prob but this space is very tight, do you do it from top or bottom? 

I would say with tart's hands you are always better working from the bottom up especially if the bottom is tight.

Mike

Edited by Mike5100
  • Like 1

Mike5100

More seriously - I did wonder myself whether any of the cowl bits had to be removed, so it's good to know that it can be done quite easily.

Mike

bonekicker

Mike5100 Iv'e tried top to bottom, side to side, even had little old wife having a go ( she looked quite dersirable layed across bike I would like to brag about being manly enough by taking her there and then but when shes says keep your dirty hands to your self she means it and as done for the last 20 years) Is the 700x the same around these areas? I think the cowls will have to be removed. Do we have any forum member who has a service manual, I can't find one on the tinterweb.

dandemann8

Mike5100 Iv'e tried top to bottom, side to side, even had little old wife having a go ( she looked quite dersirable layed across bike I would like to brag about being manly enough by taking her there and then but when shes says keep your dirty hands to your self she means it and as done for the last 20 years) Is the 700x the same around these areas? I think the cowls will have to be removed. Do we have any forum member who has a service manual, I can't find one on the tinterweb.

Join as a Full Member and theres a manual in there... ;)

Peterpoddy

I've got fat hands and it is a squeeze but it is possible. A torch is handy as it's dark in there but otherwise it's no different from any other bulb (car or bike) I've ever changed. if I recall correctly I put the steering over to one side to do it.

Guest Quicksy

Hi all just got in and dried off a bit. I went in from the top as I found it easier and like peterpoddy says you have to turn the steering to one side but I found it easier to unplug then remove rubber then unclip lamp and exchange and then refit. I will have to do a show and tell one day at the bridge or the carousel lol

bonekicker

Well I must have Fat Tarts Hands after all. I hate giving up I'm a stubborn bastard (old bastard) If peterpoddy can do it with his fat hands so can I!!!!!!! I'm changing the bulb and upgrading,because when I took the brighter bulb out of CB500X to part ex and replaced with standard bulb I went out for last ride on it and thought the bulb had blown it had'nt its just dull after the upgraded one. 

Peterpoddy

What upgraded bulb are you using?

bonekicker

H4 12v 60/55w Osram Night Breaker Unlimited

Up to + 110% more brightness

Up to + 35 m more distance

Up to + 20% whiter light

Thats what it says on packaging, all I can say is they are a lot brighter, dont put on full beam with traffic coming other way they don't like it.  

Mike5100

I have always been slightly doubtful about the claims.  Presumably the 60/55w rating is the same as the OEM bulb? ... and it uses the same technology (ie it's not LED)?  Why then wouldn't Honda pay 20 pence more to the manufacturer to get a more than double strength brightness bulb.  I'm saying 20 pence because I'm sure that Osram would do them a deal for a million bulbs (or whatever).

Guys were fitting 110w bulbs in place of 55w standard fitments on the Triumph Rocket and these did indeed provide a much brighter headlight, but since there were two of them, it does bump up the power usage to the limits if you are also trying to run other stuff like heated gear.

Mike

bonekicker

It's all about fractions of pennies over the entire bike x millions of bikes all using the same parts.Honda won't spend anymore than necessary. Not being scientic about bulbs they are just a lot brighter,I would presume that if it's rated the same 60/55w its drawing the same powerb but what do I know? I paid £15 for 2 from Amazon to me its the cheapest mod so far. 

edgey999

Thanks all for this thread.

I have changed the bulb to a Bosch (90% brighter). It has transformed night riding, the best mod I have made to the bike.

BTW I changed it in 5mins with big, fat, man hands :D  :D  :D  :D

Marte

Has anyone change the headlamp bulb of an Integra without dismounting panels?

Peterpoddy

H4 12v 60/55w Osram Night Breaker Unlimited

Up to + 110% more brightness

Up to + 35 m more distance

Up to + 20% whiter light

Thats what it says on packaging, all I can say is they are a lot brighter, dont put on full beam with traffic coming other way they don't like it.  

That's the one I've got. TBH I don't think it's significantly better then the OE bulb. It's better, yes, but not a massive amount. 

There's no way any bulb is going to give "Up to + 35 m more distance" anyway, as the shape of the pool of light is governed by the reflector and glass, not the bulb.

Rev Ken

I have always been slightly doubtful about the claims.  Presumably the 60/55w rating is the same as the OEM bulb? ... and it uses the same technology (ie it's not LED)?  Why then wouldn't Honda pay 20 pence more to the manufacturer to get a more than double strength brightness bulb.  I'm saying 20 pence because I'm sure that Osram would do them a deal for a million bulbs (or whatever).

Guys were fitting 110w bulbs in place of 55w standard fitments on the Triumph Rocket and these did indeed provide a much brighter headlight, but since there were two of them, it does bump up the power usage to the limits if you are also trying to run other stuff like heated gear.

Mike

110w bulbs are illegal and are likely to overheat the plasic lenses.

With regard to power consumption, the wattage is the power input - not light output. (That is the weaknesses of lighting regs as when they were written there were only 'filament' bulbs and are based on input, not output. A 35w HID bulb puts out masses more light and can cause serious dazzle, even when fitted as OEM with self levelling and washers.)

bonekicker

Peterpoddy are you just checking brightness during the day or at night in the dark no street lamps? especially at full beam!!! I would'nt go back to standard bulb now and I also think that during the day people in cars etc can see me better, mind you I've got 2 spotlights as well, hi vis jacket, it does all help, we need as much visabilaty as possible, its a dangerous place out there on them streets!! :fear:    

P1xel8

I had to take the fairing bits off to access the bulb. I couldn't get my paws in there to save my life with all the plastic in the way. After that I got the bulb out and was carefully lining up the new Osram bulb and it fell all the way through the hole into the bottom of the headlight bucket. Now my fancy bulb is completely irretrievable, tried to hook it with small mechanics jaws but can't line it up perfectly to get it back through the hole. I've got to tear the whole front of the bike off to remove the headlight assembly to fish out the bulb! I'm feeling a bit pissed off at the moment. The bike and I are taking a bit of a break from each other to cool off. Grrrr.

• Like 1

ScaredyCat

Use a magnet to get the base?

kayz1

I thought the bulbs metal bits, apart from the element thingy, were plated  brass...

Defender

I changed mine last week as I had a 'better bulb' sitting around, took me no longer than ten minutes from bike on centre stand to bike off centre stand, including getting the bulb from the house, it's no more difficult most other bikes I've had, but I am used to ding stuff like this at work from time to time, connections on the back of 19" racks are worse than that.

The 'better bulb' is an Osram Night Racer with the same rating @ 60/55 watts, but operate at a higher temperature and give a brighter light. It does appear to be brighter, but I've not used it at night yet and the tunnel at work is lit so all I can go on is the peeling paintwork on the back of cars etc. when I'n behind them!

My MSX125 is next but that needs the headlamp removing from the cowling so will take longer and needs three arms apparently, where's the apprentice gone just when you need one?

wandw

Managed to change my head light bulb today and yes it is straight forward and access without seeing what you are doing is easier from under neath - my problem was getting the spring clip to re-attach. After multiple attempts the pressure of the wire on your fingers can make them go numb - mine are still recovering whilst typing this. I managed it in the end from the top using long nosed pliers with the wheel to one side. Much easier when you can see what you are doing.

Just a tip for those that are taking more than 10mins to do it :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1