Chain Lube

Guest matt_bex

Guest gunshot72

Hi noticed the chain on my new NC700s looks whitish and from old school of thought looks a bit dry.

Now are we saying that this is the new generation of chains.???

yep that will be ceramic type white wax like the stuff from Wurth that a lot of dealers use.

Guest scrumpymike

I really like the idea of the new system that consists of a spring-loaded, semi-solid graphite block that stays in constant contact with the chain. Want to wait and see what people have to say about it after it's been around for a while tho. By then, it should also be available to fit our bikes.

Guest gunshot72

I really like the idea of the new system that consists of a spring-loaded, semi-solid graphite block that stays in constant contact with the chain. Want to wait and see what people have to say about it after it's been around for a while tho. By then, it should also be available to fit our bikes.

Sounds like you have those genius moments of clarity like me scrumpymike! In fact I'm currently downing a bottle of Westons Scrumpy as we speak! :drool: . Talking of your graphite block idea, how do you propose it stays cool in constant contact with a chain doing 50mph at the outer edge of a sprocket for 200 miles?

Edited by gunshot72

Holliday started a thread about the graphite block system in the Mechanical Items area, but little discussion there at the moment - I found the website for the manufacturer and posted it to that thread:

Edited by ted
Mentioned thread merged with this one
Guest Holliday

i will hear what he says about the graphite, thanks for that site jason. A bit pricey bt could be worth it in the long run.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest grimbo

i could be completly wrong here and talking nonsense..but i thought our bikes had the o ring type chain and the chain is lubed behind the o rings and the thick sticky grease that was on the chain when you pick the bike up is to cover and protect the o rings and to stop the chain from rusting.can some oils have a detrimental effect on the o rings....as i say i could be wrong and i am sure most of you are a lot more mechanically minded than me...

i could be completly wrong here and talking nonsense..but i thought our bikes had the o ring type chain and the chain is lubed behind the o rings and the thick sticky grease that was on the chain when you pick the bike up is to cover and protect the o rings and to stop the chain from rusting.can some oils have a detrimental effect on the o rings....as i say i could be wrong and i am sure most of you are a lot more mechanically minded than me...

I believe the chain does has O rings that do not need lube internally to be applied and the reason to lube the chain is to keep it rust free and avoid tight spots. I could be wrong though.....

Guest lancer58

Not sure about scotoiler. I'm sure Ihave read somewhere that its not possible on the nc because the engine is similar to a cars. Too tech for me to explain. Anyone else read this?

• 5 months later...

I have ordered a PDOiler, in the hope that it might make my chain last a litrle longer this time so I wont have to go through all the hassle of a new chain for a little longer.

steelhorseuk

For lubing the drive chain Honda recommend gear oil 80w-90 be applied and then a commercially available chain wax to seal the lube.

When I get my new chain and sprocket set fitted (under warranty) I will follow the Honda advice I think.

Each to there own though!

All the best guys...

Mike5100

can they really expect a chain wax to stick to a surface that has been oiled with 80w-90 grade oil first?

Mike

steelhorseuk

I will be trying it to see the result Mike.