Chain Lube

Guest matt_bex

Guest matt_bex

Hi

Just wondering if anyone knows how often I need to lube my chain? And also are scottoiler's available for the NC?

Any help appreciated

Matt

Guest BlackSilverNC700X

Wow I didn't realise it was that frequent! Ok I'd better pop to the shops tomorrow. Thanks mate

No worry please, that is my practice to prolong chain lifespan which is very costly for us.

Edited by BlackSilverNC700X
Fishmanboy

I think most people recommend every 500 miles or so.

I guess u can never do it too frequently, but then the cost of lube starts to outweigh the price of a new chain and sprocket.

Guest matt_bex

Yea I guess you're right.

Ok for my next question, any good ones anyone can recommend? Would love to keep the grease 'splatter' down to a minimum

Guest BlackSilverNC700X

Agree with fishmanboy, that will depend on weather too. My country tend to rain & shine frequent, that is the only way keep the chain in good condition.

Rocker66

certainly you should do it after a wet ride. you should also clean the chain on a regular basis. If possible it is always best to lube the chain after a ride whilst the chain is still warm. Chain lubing is the main reason that I have ordered the centre stand

Fishmanboy

Products ive used and been happy with:

- Wurth HP dry chain lube (good stuff, cheap, but doesn't last too long and isn't 100% fling free)

- Wurth brake and chain cleaner (Really good stuff. but will only do 3-4 good cleans max)

- Silkolene chain lube (nice foaming stuff, but expensive compared to wurth)

Maybe we should have a tried and recommend section on here? ya know reviews on products, kit, bikes etc? :D

Guest matt_bex

Cheers for your input guys.

I got some from J&S accessories in Eltham called Dr Bike which is I think their own brand £9.99 for a large can. Seemed ok, clean application but as mentioned above, the centre stand will be on my shopping list soon, will make it easier to apply also looked this morning and no flicks of grease anywhere.

Guest gunshot72

I'd stay away from scottoilers and the like if I were you. More trouble than they're worth and messy. I've recently switched to Motul chain paste from aerosol types because I can brush it on and stop overspray and waste onto the rim.

Guest Tumbleweed

I use Wurth dry chain lube. I always consider a Scotoiler when I change my bike but still never fitted one. Everyone I ask about them either hates them or swears by them. I kind of enjoy :) spending an afternoon cleaning every link with teeny bits of old t-shirt ripped up.......my other half thinks I`m nuts :blink: as he`s got a shaft drive on his BM and a belt drive on his Harley.

Guest gunshot72

Bloody hell you're like me Tumbleweed I do exactly the same thing. Small bits of old tshirt cleaning every link. I ACF50 the side plates as well as this keeps surface rust at bay.

Guest Tumbleweed

Bloody hell you're like me Tumbleweed I do exactly the same thing. Small bits of old tshirt cleaning every link. I ACF50 the side plates as well as this keeps surface rust at bay.

Well we`re both either very sad :( or extremely practical and methodical B) lol. I`ll go for the latter. My other half thinks I`m sad but I don`t care :P as I got over 17,000 miles out of my last chain,riding all year round and I`m not sure how long it had been on the bike when I got it. A bit of old t-shirt is cheaper than a new chain and sprocket set. Anyway, it`s my idea of therapy - beats been dragged round Tesco on a Saturday.

Guest steveR

I use Wurth dry chain lube. I always consider a Scotoiler when I change my bike but still never fitted one. Everyone I ask about them either hates them or swears by them. I kind of enjoy :) spending an afternoon cleaning every link with teeny bits of old t-shirt ripped up.......my other half thinks I`m nuts :blink: as he`s got a shaft drive on his BM and a belt drive on his Harley.

Gotta admit, it took me years to fit a chain oiler to a bike and then 3-4 years ago i got a PD oiler and what a transformation. The ride was improved from always having a lubed chain and it was a lot quieter too. On big trips, the lube rate could be adjusted for the type of riding (and weather0 and it reduced the hassle of chain monitoring when away from home and tools.

I could not be arsed to fit a Scottoiler, but the PD uses an electric "pump", so I tapped into the rear light as I ride with lights on anyway, so always had a +ve feed when the bike was running :)

My history of chain maintenance goes back to removing my chain every month and dunking it in a tin of Linklyfe. I was banned from the kitchen at the time by me Mother, so I used a little camping stove outside.. :huh:

Guest Tumbleweed

Gotta admit, it took me years to fit a chain oiler to a bike and then 3-4 years ago i got a PD oiler and what a transformation. The ride was improved from always having a lubed chain and it was a lot quieter too. On big trips, the lube rate could be adjusted for the type of riding (and weather0 and it reduced the hassle of chain monitoring when away from home and tools.

I could not be arsed to fit a Scottoiler, but the PD uses an electric "pump", so I tapped into the rear light as I ride with lights on anyway, so always had a +ve feed when the bike was running :)

My history of chain maintenance goes back to removing my chain every month and dunking it in a tin of Linklyfe. I was banned from the kitchen at the time by me Mother, so I used a little camping stove outside.. :huh:

Cheers Steve,

I`ll have a look for one,

Jen

Guest steveR

A PD oiler sounds good any info anyone?

Regards Jim

http://www.pdoiler.co.uk/

Nice guy runs the company and used to make the units himself. I had a BFO unit built at the same time as I bought one for the bike, to use on a bit of farm machinery. Never fitted it, so i have it ready for my next bike with a chain!! :)

I used chainsaw oil in it for better retention and low fling.

Edited by steveR
Guest Tumbleweed

I've recently switched to Motul chain paste from aerosol types because I can brush it on and stop overspray and waste onto the rim.

I always make cardboard templates to go round the wheel hub to stop overspray onto the rims. Usually works a treat.

Guest getingonabit

Regards Jim

Nice guy runs the company and used to make the units himself. I had a BFO unit built at the same time as I bought one for the bike, to use on a bit of farm machinery. Never fitted it, so i have it ready for my next bike with a chain!! :)

Regards Jim

• 1 month later...
Guest PlymouthBikers

Hi noticed the chain on my new NC700s looks whitish and from old school of thought looks a bit dry.

Now are we saying that this is the new generation of chains.???

Rev Ken

Hi noticed the chain on my new NC700s looks whitish and from old school of thought looks a bit dry.

Now are we saying that this is the new generation of chains.???

Probably the lubricant you can see - it often is a very sticky, when dry - 'white' colour - it helps to see when you have lubed the whole chain!

Guest Holliday

My mothers Boss has a silver 5 year old CBF1000 and he told us that he ordered a chain lube system that quite interrested me.

Aparantly it is a graphite block that fasten underneath the chan and lasts about 10,000 km. 130 euros for the fastening system and the black, and then a 35 euro top up for a new block after the 10k.

Once you clean the chain you put it on and it dry lubricates the chain continously. As it is dry lube it dirst doesnt get stuck to it like grease.

What do you people think, is this a good option or just a gimmic?

I dunno, seems a bit expensive but maybe the way forwards for a cleaner bike?

I still like my, hypoid oil and a toothbrush, method myself! ;)