What are the differences?

Guest BlackSilverNC700X

Guest BlackSilverNC700X

Hi guys,

what are the differences between in-line 2-cylinder & in-line 4-cylinder & what are the pros & cons?

Let's have an example between NC700X & VFR800X engine. I'm not going to compare the max. power & max. torque which is obviously different.

Hope everyone here can contribute as much as possible.

Cheers..........

Rocker66

When I have a bit of spare time I will post a short comparison as I own both a 2012 NC700X & a 2011 crossrunner

Rocker66

The reason that manufactures build different engine configurations is simple. It’s a matter of horses for courses. Different engine configurations deliver power in different ways. Really it depends what you want out of your bike. For instance I own 2 bikes which are used in completely different ways. Not owning a car the NC is my daily transport including a 75 mile round commute to work hence it has to be economical both on fuel and servicing. I am averaging 77.25 MPG compared with 48.4 MPG on the Crossrunner or even the 57 MPG which I got from the Deauville 700 which the NC replaced. When buying the NC performance was not much of a consideration so long as it would cruise comfortably at motorway speeds.

The Cross runner on the other hand is purely for leisure including touring I don’t worry too much about top speed these days but I do get my kicks out of acceleration. The CR accelerates well especially if you get it into the V-Tec range whist the NC merely gets faster. I also like the way a V produces its power especially when powering out of a corner The CR is more comfortable (for me) on a long run with more weather protection. Yes it does cost quite a bit more to run but then one has to pay for your pleasure

To sum it up I bought the NC with my head and my CR with my heart.

I hope this goes some way to answering your question

I've owned bikes with 1, 2, 3 and 4 cylinders, including V-twin and V-fours (a VRF). But the pros and cons of the two you've asked about are mainly:

Parallel twin: Narrower, less balanced configuration (tends to create more vibration without some sort of balance shaft), tend to be a bit lower revving, potentially better fuel consumption, lower power but max torque tends to be at lower revs.

Parallel four: Wider, heavier, less vibration, potentially more power, higher revs.

Both can be tuned for different performance, for instance the new NC feels nothing like the old CB500 which liked to be revved. And an XJR1300 (yawn) feels nothing like a Hornet 600. Can't say which is better except that if you want speed then a four is more likely to deliver. Personal taste, but I prefer twins (parallel and V) and singles. Not sure I'd own another four cylinder bike, but the VFR is on of the greatest bike engines ever built.

Edited by beep

I've only had a testride of the NC so far, but didn't notice it vibrating too badly compared to my V-strom (a V-twin). But yes it definately vibrates more than say a CB600F or other similarly sized inline four. Not a problem for me. I seem to recall that Honda could have designed out more of the vibrations but claimed that they decided not to, to "add character". I'd probably interpret this as "it was cheaper not to install more balancer shafts so we didn't bother". However I thought the NC was quite smooth for a twin.

The vibration is nothing compared to my last bike - an FMX650 single. Some inline fours (and triples) are so smooth that, to be blunt, they're a bit bland!

Edited by beep
Rocker66

I've owned bikes with 1, 2, 3 and 4 cylinders, including V-twin and V-fours (a VRF). But the pros and cons of the two you've asked about are mainly:

Parallel twin: Narrower, less balanced configuration (tends to create more vibration without some sort of balance shaft), tend to be a bit lower revving, potentially better fuel consumption, lower power but max torque tends to be at lower revs.

Parallel four: Wider, heavier, less vibration, potentially more power, higher revs.

Both can be tuned for different performance, for instance the new NC feels nothing like the old CB500 which liked to be revved. And an XJR1300 (yawn) feels nothing like a Hornet 600. Can't say which is better except that if you want speed then a four is more likely to deliver. Personal taste, but I prefer twins (parallel and V) and singles. Not sure I'd own another four cylinder bike, but the VFR is on of the greatest bike engines ever built.

You forgot what in my opinion is the best twin of all which is the boxer twin as used in the old air head BMWs. I had several including the ultimate R90/S and really loved them. Mind you in those days a BMW cost about half as much again as a top of the range Japanese bike

Fishmanboy

I didn't find the NC had too much vibration, but then I quite like it a bit rough (no jokes please lol) if the bikes a bit too smooth then it's a bit boring and you might as well take the car haha

Best thing you can do is go for a test ride as the NC isn't too everyone's taste

Guest BlackSilverNC700X

I didn't find the NC had too much vibration, but then I quite like it a bit rough (no jokes please lol) if the bikes a bit too smooth then it's a bit boring and you might as well take the car haha

Best thing you can do is go for a test ride as the NC isn't too everyone's taste

Sure sure, not sure are we allow for test ride. Will wait for the bike to arrive.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ex-member

2 cyclinder = not so smooth, but torqueyer than 4 cyc

4 cyc = smooth but double the weight and complexity

1 cycl, very torquey but cannot rev too high.

2-cyc is also called mid-platform.

This is an all rounder bike motor config.

With a single counterbalance, you cannot feel too much vibes.

If you are picky, then get the 6 cyc boring motor.

:no:

Rocker66

If you feel that 6 cylinder bikes are boring I can only think that you havn't ridden a CBX or heard the Honda 6 that Mike Hailwood raced

My 2 favourite engine types are Vs either twins or 4s and air cooled boxer twins. I used to own what I consider to be the ultimate version of the latter in my BMW R90/S

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Fishmanboy

If you feel that 6 cylinder bikes are boring I can only think that you havn't ridden a CBX or heard the Honda 6 that Mike Hailwood raced

My 2 favourite engine types are Vs either twins or 4s and air cooled boxer twins. I used to own what I consider to be the ultimate version of the latter in my BMW R90/S

6 cylinders??? thats the same as my car!!!! oh how times have changed

I agree with you on the V's though, My current bike is a v twin and has a lovely spread of useable power and I loved how the V4 on my old RVF used to purrrrrrr. Last inline 4 I had was on a Kawasaki ZX6-R Ninja and although powerful I felt the engine was a bit too revvy and soul less. Of course this is all down to personal preferance though :logik:B)

• 2 weeks later...
Rocker66

Don't forget the V-4. Excellent engine configuration