Fuel reserve flasher on the NC700X/S

Guest gunshot72

Guest Naana

Found the receipt! Of course it's going to need a few more figures to work properly, but we're off to a good start. Let's see if I can keep it going...

• Like 1
  • Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rocker66

• JaseR

• roddy

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As an update to this post I got my reserve flasher coming on at 177 miles today. I then rode for another 43 miles on reserve before I ran out completely. So 220 miles out of a 14.1 litre tank with a 1

I have been keeping a check on my fiel consumption my worst was 71.3 MPG & the best 85.89. the average over all my fill ups is 78.74 MPG. The furthest I have travelled before filling up so far is

Found the receipt! Of course it's going to need a few more figures to work properly, but we're off to a good start. Let's see if I can keep it going...

Another thing to note is that this app allows you to put one of costs in as well - I was thinking might be useful to keep a track of what you bought/serviced and when.

Guest gunshot72

Went out this morning and ran my tank dry. She clapped out on a left hander but then started again. 1 mile later clapped out again. 229 miles from 14 litres. That 74.36 mpg. I'm not a slow rider so a few others will get close to 80 mpg.

• 2 weeks later...
ste7ios

Never run out of gas. You may damage the fuel pump and you're not covered by warranty.

Guest gunshot72

Never run out of gas. You may damage the fuel pump and you're not covered by warranty.

Not true. Modern bikes can run the pump with or without fuel for days.

ste7ios

Are we sure for this? Anyway I prefer to never discover it!

Guest FrVentura

My flasher just came on for the 1st time at 205km or 130 miles! I need to be much more cautious with my right hand. Think I was the one with the worst fuel consumption around here, am I right?

grrr :pinch:

Guest gunshot72

My flasher just came on for the 1st time at 205km or 130 miles! I need to be much more cautious with my right hand. Think I was the one with the worst fuel consumption around here, am I right?

grrr :pinch:

That sounds OK if it's a brand new engine and you have been riding very hard in the first 5 gears. Is the bike brand new? It can take a while for your mpg to get better as the engine beds in. With 2200 miles on my clock I'm now not seeing the flasher until 180 miles and I ride quite hard. It would be best if you can fill up your tank and do another test but this time trying very hard to ride softly. Then see what happens with your flasher.

Guest FrVentura

That sounds OK if it's a brand new engine and you have been riding very hard in the first 5 gears. Is the bike brand new? It can take a while for your mpg to get better as the engine beds in. With 2200 miles on my clock I'm now not seeing the flasher until 180 miles and I ride quite hard. It would be best if you can fill up your tank and do another test but this time trying very hard to ride softly. Then see what happens with your flasher.

Yes. It's a brand new bike. It has only 220km in the odometer and the flasher ticked 10km ago. I'm refueling tomorrow. I think I'm going to follow your advice and take it really slow this time. Although I'm not goint to do 2.000rev/min as I think that's not healthy. But I'm trying really hard to do a more economic ride this time :D

Guest gunshot72

Don't worry about 2000 rpm changes the engine and gearbox are designed for lower revs anyway. You should certainly be able to go up to 4500 rpm to change gear and still get 200+ miles from a tank full of fuel.

Guest FrVentura
You should certainly be able to go up to 4500 rpm to change gear and still get 200+ miles from a tank full of fuel.

Then I don't know why I only did 140 miles. Okay, sometimes I reved a little too much, but it wasn´t always an extreme ride. It was almost normal, always in city. Besides, I always ride alone, my NCX has no extras and I weigh 160pounds. I know that the fact that the bike is brand new decreases the mpg ratio, but I don´t think that is a reason for doing only 140miles with the first tank!

Anyway, I'm going to be aware of this fact from now on and try to increase distance between refuels.

Guest Naana

It's a bit early to tell for sure, but mine seems very sensitive to any kind of "enthusiastic" riding with regard to fuel economy. Even one blast down the M1 instead of the A roads will noticeably reduce the fuel economy... Will be keeping an eye in this though as three fill-ups really isn't enough to know for sure.

Guest gunshot72
You should certainly be able to go up to 4500 rpm to change gear and still get 200+ miles from a tank full of fuel.

Then I don't know why I only did 140 miles. Okay, sometimes I reved a little too much, but it wasn´t always an extreme ride. It was almost normal, always in city. Besides, I always ride alone, my NCX has no extras and I weigh 160pounds. I know that the fact that the bike is brand new decreases the mpg ratio, but I don´t think that is a reason for doing only 140miles with the first tank!

Anyway, I'm going to be aware of this fact from now on and try to increase distance between refuels.

Also remember that the true reserve of the NC700X/S is 45-50 miles before empty.

Guest gunshot72

It's a bit early to tell for sure, but mine seems very sensitive to any kind of "enthusiastic" riding with regard to fuel economy. Even one blast down the M1 instead of the A roads will noticeably reduce the fuel economy... Will be keeping an eye in this though as three fill-ups really isn't enough to know for sure.

I found that motorway runs increased mpg due to the very tall 6th gear.

Guest BlackSilverNC700X

Hi, what do you mean tall 6th gear? To me seem weak on 6th gear if are not on the high speed.

Rev Ken

Hi, what do you mean tall 6th gear? To me seem weak on 6th gear if are not on the high speed.

'tall' means a high gear that lowers the revs so that at higher speeds the engine is as economical as it can be.... but remember whatever gearing you have it takes nearly 50% more power if you increase your speed from 100 to120km/hr, hence the rapid increase in the amount of fuel used!

Guest gunshot72

Rev Ken is right. 6th gear on the NC is like an overdrive gear. It keeps the rpms lower than normal but you sacrifice power to the rear wheel so acceleration will be slower. If you can keep to 65 mph it will help mpg, 75mph and expect 15% less mpg, 85mph and it starts to get poor.

Guest Holliday

my 6th gear is weird. All gears run fine at 2.100 RPM. but when 5th hits 3k and I go up to 6th in 2100 rpm, it feel like the bike want more revs. Onl yin 6th though, Should I run through to the limit in 6th to get it run in better blast it down the autobahn?

Guest chasp

What I have found is to stay in 5th for twisty lanes and the like (mostly all Norfolk roads are like that) and up to 6th when better "A" roads are used, but i still have to change down to 5th when overtaking just to keep the power band on.

Rocker66

Most of my riding is on my commute which is around 75% Motorway. the rest being A roads with a town at each end of the journey. Even with riding to keep with the motorway traffic flow at around 80-85 MPh the worst figure I have recorded is 73MPG. more usually mid to high 70s and occassionaly into the 80s

Guest gunshot72

my 6th gear is weird. All gears run fine at 2.100 RPM. but when 5th hits 3k and I go up to 6th in 2100 rpm, it feel like the bike want more revs. Onl yin 6th though, Should I run through to the limit in 6th to get it run in better blast it down the autobahn?

That is the tall 6th gear making that feeling. It is not going to hurt the engine. In fact that slightly chuggy low rpm feeling and sound from the engine is just a sign that you are running very efficiently at that point. I can run 6th gear down to around 35mph on this bike with no ill effects. It's a very versatile engine in that respect.

Guest BantamCock

Interested to see these mpg's. I have only filled up my NC700S twice, first time 11.04L averaging 74.1mpg and last week 11.88L averaging 86.4mpg; I couldn't believe it. I find with the tall 6th gear, I won't change into it unless bike is doing minimum 60mph at 3000 RPM it feels natural.

Guest ScottyMac

Most of my riding is on my commute which is around 75% Motorway. the rest being A roads with a town at each end of the journey. Even with riding to keep with the motorway traffic flow at around 80-85 MPh the worst figure I have recorded is 73MPG. more usually mid to high 70s and occassionaly into the 80s

I'm in the same boat.... I try to maintain 80+ on my commute where possible and my average is the high 70s mpg... every fill up it's slowly increasing it's mpg figure even though I'm convinced I'm riding it harder every time I take it out. A steady hand and patient rider should easily by in the 90s mpg.