Fuel reserve flasher on the NC700X/S

Guest gunshot72

Guest NSXED

For me the tank size means I'll have to fill up more often on the NC700 compared with my Varadero 125 which has a 17 litre tank and I've had 296 miles out of it and can probably get a little more.

I don't think I'll have any problems getting decent mpg out of the NC700 though as I'm coming from a slower bike.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rocker66

• JaseR

• Fishmanboy

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As an update to this post I got my reserve flasher coming on at 177 miles today. I then rode for another 43 miles on reserve before I ran out completely. So 220 miles out of a 14.1 litre tank with a 1

I have been keeping a check on my fiel consumption my worst was 71.3 MPG & the best 85.89. the average over all my fill ups is 78.74 MPG. The furthest I have travelled before filling up so far is

Found the receipt! Of course it's going to need a few more figures to work properly, but we're off to a good start. Let's see if I can keep it going...

Guest Naana

I'm definitely doing something wrong. Tonight's fill up calculated out at about 67mpg... I am tending to ride mostly between 3,000 to 4,000 rpm rather than 2-3 though, so that's probably it.

Tell you what though, it feels great at 4,000rpm - there's a lovely growly power band thing going on there. :)

(shame it uses more fuel)

Guest LuisLx

I have a DCT version. Let me describe what Honda feels it's the best relations to a good mpg (sorry: lt/100km)

In automatic D option (it has a manual and a S -port?) gears change at about 2100 rev, meaning that if you are not giving to much gas, 6th gear appears at about 66 km/h, in an horizontal plane. The engine seems happy with that except when you're climbing and it insists to keep the 6th. then you get a bit unconfortable with an unhealthy rev for a climb and intuitively reduce manually to 5th (2nd generation gearbox) it works for a second or two but then again there's the 6th. When riding slowly and climbing one should use the S option or the manual gear (both at the touch of a button). I think Honda should allow some more 500 revs to go when you force 5th gear in a climb. But they know better!

Anyway, otherwise it seems perfectly normal to ride in 6th at about 2000 rpm.

Rocker66

My NC spends much of it's time around 4000RPM on the motorway section of my commute yet I have never dropped below 73MPG

Rev Ken

Do you know whether you are in top gear - or do you ride with your brake on - just in case'? :D

Sorry, but unless you are thrashing your bike, there must be something wrong. :cry: My wife empties my pockets at night, could something similar be happening to you - siphoning out a little each night? :devil: Or do you have a leaking petrol tank? :hairy:

I'm only trying to be helpful..... :flowers:

Guest gunshot72

I'm definitely doing something wrong. Tonight's fill up calculated out at about 67mpg... I am tending to ride mostly between 3,000 to 4,000 rpm rather than 2-3 though, so that's probably it.

Tell you what though, it feels great at 4,000rpm - there's a lovely growly power band thing going on there. :)

(shame it uses more fuel)

I was getting 67mpg in my first few fill up now it's gone up with 2600 miles on the clock to an average of 75mpg. Like Rev Ken said I hope your not resting your foot on the rear brake lever! Also check your chain slack as it can have a slight effect and also that the brake pads aren't binding.

Guest Naana

800+ miles up, my best tank mpg was the 2nd one at about 76. I was being VERY careful on that tank to see what I could get. Perhaps I'm just a deeply inefficient rider, I do like to get well away from traffic lights before the cagers mess up the place...

I'll think about the rear brake thing, but can't see it - I'd like to think I've been riding long enough not to fall for that one! But you never know, new bike, things in different places & so on...

Rocker - when I'm on the motorway, the revs are rarely much below 5,000 (yes, I do know what speed that equates to) ...

And yes, I'm definitely in top gear. Trust me, I check several times... ;)

Edited by Naana
Rev Ken

800+ miles up, my best tank mpg was the 2nd one at about 76. I was being VERY careful on that tank to see what I could get. Perhaps I'm just a deeply inefficient rider, I do like to get well away from traffic lights before the cagers mess up the place...

I'll think about the rear brake thing, but can't see it - I'd like to think I've been riding long enough not to fall for that one! But you never know, new bike, things in different places & so on...

Rocker - when I'm on the motorway, the revs are rarely much below 5,000 (yes, I do know what speed that equates to) ...

And yes, I'm definitely in top gear. Trust me, I check several times... ;)

There's your reason! I'm sure you know that wind resistance goes up as the square of the speed, so that if you double your speed (all things being equal) you'll use FOUR times as much fuel, not twice! Things aren't of course equal, but a small increase in speed does have a very detrimental effect, and 5,000 rpm on motorways will eat fuel..... :cry:

Guest Holliday

I did 77 mpg imperial this time (3.65 l/100km) and really happy with that. will try even higher. but the first tim i was in 6th gear less and got 88 mpg lol

Guest scrumpymike

As already mentioned, the 'sweet spot' for the NC engine seems to be around 4k rpm but at the speed that equates to on the road in top gear, I would guess that fuel consumption is starting to suffer from the extra work the engine has to do to push the bike through the air. Certainly by 5k rpm, your fuel consumption has increased significantly.

Re acceleration in top gear, my bike feels comfortable accelerating gently on a level road from around 2500rpm, but it gets noticeably smoother from 3500rpm. Going up a fast slope - even a gentle one, I'd generally drop down my manual box to keep it spinning above 3500rpm. I agree with Luis that 2100 rpm in top on anything but a dead flat road seems instinctively wrong. Of course, Honda presumably have data to 'prove' otherwise, and have set the change-up points in Drive mode accordingly. I'd certainly be interested to see the power v torque curve for our engine to know where the peak power and torque points are.

My only experience of auto transmissions is in cars, which often seemed to change up too soon. (Most annoying of all was when they would change up a gear as soon as you lifted off the gas to get on the brakes approaching a bend!!)

Rocker66

I haven't ridden the NC DCT but on my VFR1200DCT when in Drive it certainly changed up sooner than I would have liked. Iused to keep it in Sport except when on the motorway where Drive gave better MPG

...I'd certainly be interested to see the power v torque curve for our engine to know where the peak power and torque points are...

This was on Ash On Bikes:

Honda_NC700X_29.jpg

Guest BantamCock

Thanks for the power - torque curve J; I have been wanting to see this. 50+ Nm throuhout & maximum torque just under 5000 RPM. Great :D

Rev Ken

That's what I like to see - in every day riding the NC700 is far more 'sprightly' and usable than the CBF600 - which in itself isn't a bad bike!

Guest dersan

I am out of gas at 387 kms that means i burned 3.5 litres for 100kms thats cool.I ride it 2 up and lagguage

562236_249249838516726_1597848634_n.jpg

And i ride it 3000 4000 rpm range and never pass 110kmh try to stay in 80 100 kmh range.

• Like 1
Rocker66

That picture is really great. I wish that we had the bike in blue over here. That would certainly have been my choice

Guest gunshot72

That picture is really great. I wish that we had the bike in blue over here. That would certainly have been my choice

I think it's black actually. The effect he has on the image makes it look blue. Am I right or am I wrong? :hmm:

Rocker66

Pity as it would be really good in blue. Preferably Navy Blue and white with yellow pinstriping. Now why would I love that colour scheme I wonder ;)

Guest ScottyMac

My recent commuting habits have kept me riding for about 60% of my 50 mile journey at or around 90mph. This few mph average increase, as well as the sustained duration increase has had a dramatic effect on my MPG figures...

My last few fillups have shown :

76mpg,

77mpg,

78mpg,

and the latest....

74mpg.

Boooo, Hisssss! :D

Guest duk2n

this weekend i rode my bike for 290 km, with passenger and luggage. My cruiser speed was between 90 and 110 km/h. Well, it only wasted 9,9 liters. That's mean 3,41 l/100. Fantastic, it spends less than a cigarette lighter!

Rocker66

Find it odd that you guys have such difficulties to get it above 90 mpg - as mentioned before once had it a 100 mpg.

My average is around 88 mpg with very variated driving patterns.

Perhaps Im the only one that thinks the engine feels greatest between 2200 and 3000 rpms. :)

Tried riding at those revs today which produced speeds of 50-60 MPH. Whilst this is fine for a steady ride on A roads but on my daily commute this would be be almost dangerous as it would put right in with the HGVs which is not a nice to be. I would rather maintain normal motorway speeds of 80-85 MPH and still get mid 70s MPG

Guest Holliday

at first the 2k rpm mark seemed wrong, now I love being at 2k. It is smooth and really eco friendly. :) it will come when the bike breaks in