ABS or No ABS?

Guest BlackSilverNC700X

Guest Whiteyez

Never had ABS in 10 years of riding so don't know what i am missing. Did not have enough time to really test it on the NCX test ride. Am sure that it must be effective as a safety feature but for many years people have managed without it. It will not improve your riding in anyway but might get you out of a "oh shit" moment.

Would you buy a car now without abs if you have the option?

ste7ios

Definitely ABS! It saves lives, in wet, in panic... And Honda's implementation is one of the best!

Never had ABS in 10 years of riding so don't know what i am missing. Did not have enough time to really test it on the NCX test ride. Am sure that it must be effective as a safety feature but for many years people have managed without it. It will not improve your riding in anyway but might get you out of a "oh shit" moment.

Would you buy a car now without abs if you have the option?

Yes i would. In the 2 biking accidents i have had in 10 years ABS would have not made any difference. Every bike i have had i have practised and got to grips with how the brakes work so as not to lock up a wheel. No that can never replace ABS but it does go a long way into helping you out in an emergency rather than just applying the brakes as hard as you can which unfortunately a lot of people do when they panic and the bike washes out beneath them.

ABS is a safety feature but NOT essential in my opinion but it is up to each individual to decide for themselves. Would i buy a bike without ABS? Of course i have no reservations about doing so and if there was no ABS available for the NC700 bikes it would not make the least bit of difference in my decision.

At the end of the day if someone is not confident enough to ride without ABS i consider them a risk to themselves and others. Just my thoughts ..... which i am sure not all will agree with :)

Edited by tc3
Rocker66

For many years I and all other riders had to ride without decent lights tyres or brakes. We accepted this as the norm at the time but I for one would not want to do so these days. In the same way I wouldn't want to go back to non ABS bikes. Does this mean that after 75 bikes 49 years of only having bikes as my personal means of transport I should be considered a risk to myself and others? Personally I embrace anything that makes my riding safer. It is called progress.

Does this mean that after 75 bikes 49 years of only having bikes as my personal means of transport I should be considered a risk to myself and others?

My comment was more towards new bikers who as soon as they pass their test insist they must have ABS ..... why not just stay at home in a big ball of cotton wool. My neighbour passed a month ago and says he would never risk riding a bike without ABS. Makes no sense to me at all as riding in itself is a huge risk which ever way you want to look at it and having ABS wont stop hin getting T boned.

Rocker66

When I started riding helmets were not compulsory however I always said that I would never ride without one. I see no difference between this and your friends comment about ABS. Should I have stayed home wrapped in cotton wool? As a matter of interest without a helmet my history would have read Rocker66 born 13 Feb 1947 died 21 May 1966.

If your friend feels safer riding with ABS thats fair enough. Can you deny thqay you don't feel safer riding with disc brakes than you would with the drum or even block brakes that were fitted years ago. Can you deny ithay you would feel safer wearing proper motorcycle clothing than shorts & T-shirt?

People should wear or use whatever equipment makes them feel more comfortable

When I started riding helmets were not compulsory however I always said that I would never ride without one. I see no difference between this and your friends comment about ABS. Should I have stayed home wrapped in cotton wool? As a matter of interest without a helmet my history would have read Rocker66 born 13 Feb 1947 died 21 May 1966.

If your friend feels safer riding with ABS thats fair enough. Can you deny thqay you don't feel safer riding with disc brakes than you would with the drum or even block brakes that were fitted years ago. Can you deny ithay you would feel safer wearing proper motorcycle clothing than shorts & T-shirt?

People should wear or use whatever equipment makes them feel more comfortable

Well i would never ride without a helmet but as to ABS i could not really care less so will leave it at that. You are correct that people should wear and use equipment that makes them feel comfortable. I guess everyone has a different view on what they think is acceptable in terms of cutting down risk etc.

Before I had ABS I had the same thinking. Why pay for ABS when I can brake just as good without it.

Bike with ABS is approx 20% more expensive.

Unfortunantely the NCX cannot be bought without it here - and now that I've tried it I will never buy a new bike without it.

That goes especially if you ride in the winter months.

Maybe after actually owning a bike with ABS i would think along same lines as i do ride all year.

ste7ios

As I remember, here in Greece, we have many motorcycle experts that where against ABS when it first appeared. Today, they really appreciate it, they can't imagine a motorcycle without it, especially on roads with low traction... (the majority of Greek roads).

They've done some extensive tests and the result shows that the ABS is more effective than the driver, even the experienced.

(The link is in greek, sorry)

Rev Ken

I tried one of the first mechanical ABS systems fitted to a BMW while undergoing trials at the Transport Road Research Laboratory as it was called in those days. The bike had outriggers, and I had to ride over wetted pebbles and slam on the brakes. My self preservation instincts made it almost impossible to slam on the brakes and it took three attempts before I managed! The Maxaret mechanical system could be beaten by an experienced rider, but the modern systems are very different, and after 50 years without ABS - I'm a convert as it has saved my bacon once - and that is enough for me! Unless I go back to 'classic' (ie Brit) bikes, then I won't buy a modern bike without ABS.