Weights on wheels after new tyre is fitted

Guest irishrider

Guest irishrider

Hi,

I got new Bridgestone 023 tyres fitted to my 2012 NC700x yesterday and I was surprised to see there were 6 weights (6 x 0.5gm = 3gm) on the near side of the front wheel rim. I asked the tyre fitter why there was so many and he said it was nothing to worry about.

The bike is riding ok and there are also 3 weights (1.5gm) on either side of the back wheel.

Is this normal or should I get the wheels balance again elsewhere?

I have puncture safe liquid in the tryes so this may make balancing the wheels difficult if the tyre had to come off the wheel rim.

Any advice or thoughts appreciated please as I am heading of to France in a few weeks and I want to make sure all is ok.

Thanks

Debbie

Derek_Mac

If that's what it took to balance them and the bikes feeling fine then I'd think it's okay.

The only thing i could think is that if the wheels hadn't been spun fast enough then the liquid in the tyres wouldn't have been evenly spread out  and then you'd certainly know if they were out of balance.

Have a nice trip. :)

I can't comment as I'm not an expert on tyres and balancing them, but I will wish you a wonderful and safe trip to France. You'll love it!!

Guest bonekicker

Is it the same fitter that put the spindle bolt in the wrong way Debbie? he's not doing very well so far, did he put the tyres on inside out as well? I don't think he spun the wheel fast enough for liquid inside to equalize, could be that's why there are so many weights on wheel, give him what for, sort him out biker girl !!!!!!!!! push his head in leak detect water barrel and see if any air comes out of him, I'm sure it will :frantics:  

What tyre shop did you use over here ?.

I have found A1 tyres at Dromore the best, far better than CH.

Mo.

Dave H

I shouldn't worry ... they'll fall off quite soon.

Guest irishrider

Hi,

yes its the same fitter that put the wheel bolt on the wrong way round..... A local guy who I have been going for  years to get tyres who has always been very helpful.

The puncture safe was not put into the tyres until after they were balanced and back on the bike.

Bike is riding ok, next time I will go to one of the main tyre fitters. Thanks every one for all your help.

Debbie

Guest nc700sam

I'm interested to know,

when the main dealer changes your tyres, i assume they use the clip on weights that come as standard?

i dont want to take my bike to a small garage and save £5 if they are going to use those hideous stick on things.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest irishrider

yes they used the clip on things similar to cars. I spoke to the bike tyre fitter at Charles Hurst and they said 6 weights were acceptable and not to worry

michael

Argh! Stick on weights are the bane of motorcyclists everywhere! I much prefer the clamp ons.

I lost a factory weight *once* on a road trip many, many miles from home. The usual symptoms ("why is this road so bad? Why is my bike shaking?") so when stopped I was able to clearly see a dust free space on the wheel. I've taken to marking either side of my weights very carefully with a felt pen….if I ever lose one again, I'll know exactly where it's replacement would go without having to take off the wheel and re-balance.

One tire wag mentioned "yup, I know where it should go, but how much weight?"

UH, by the size of the dust free area? (after all if it's close it's better than no weight at all)  

I was half way wondering if he was from that island way off to the east. Perhaps you've heard of  it? NoBrains Atoll?