NC700X engine smoothness

Guest JLL

As I explained in my first post, I'm looking for a replacement for my Honda Deauville 650. Because of my height (6'2") I specially like the ergos of trail bikes, even though I will not be doing any kind of off-road.

I tried Suzuki V-Strom and I really liked the bike but the V-Twin is quite rough. Also tried Varadero 1000 and, although it's smoother than the V-strom, it's still not what I'm looking for (after trying 4 cylinder Suzuki GSX and Yamaha FZ6, V-twins feel like tractors to me).

The only 4-cylinders trail I found is the new Kawa Versys 1000, but it's out of my budget and I don't like the design at all.

I've also heard that Triumph Tiger 800's thee cylinder engine is superb and almost as smooth and vibration-free as a 4 cylinder one.

I had discarded the NC700X for being a 2 cyl. but I've read a review on a spanish mag. stating that the NC700 is very smooth and almost vibration-free. Then I looked in the internet and some others say that still has some of the "character" and vibrations of a paralell twin.

What's your opinion about this? I booked a try in the Honda dealer but they don't have units available in my zone so I have to wait at least a month.

Rocker66

Having come to the NC from a Deauville 700 I would say the amount of vibration is simular

I've had a testride and would say that it's definately less vibey than my V-strom and also a Transalp 600, which a has a very similar engine to the Deauville. I've also ridden the FZ6 and the NC isn't as smooth as this bike. But to be honest I don't think ANY of these bikes have too much vibration!

Edited by beep
Fishmanboy

I have an SV650 and the NC has less vibration than that, I doubt it would be as smooth as an inline 4 or triple though

Hi there and thanks for the replies.

I haven't tried a Deauville 700 but by 650 (2002) will make my hands and feet numb after half an hour in the highway. I thought it was a tire bad alligned but it's not so it's maybe more engine related. Maybe I'm too sensitive.. :P

Rocker66

Hi there and thanks for the replies.

I haven't tried a Deauville 700 but by 650 (2002) will make my hands and feet numb after half an hour in the highway. I thought it was a tire bad alligned but it's not so it's maybe more engine related. Maybe I'm too sensitive.. :P

I think it must have been your bike or you were riding in the wrong rev range as I used to take my 650s from Kent to both Ireland & Scotland with no numbness

Guest gunshot72

I've found my NC fairly smooth and nothing excessive for a twin. In fact it's the smoothest twin I've ridden and that's includes any BMW boxer or parallel twin. Because of the low friction design of the NC I find this has helped smooth out the vibes. Also, remember that the Honda designers had to engineer in some mild vibration because the engine was too smooth to begin with.

I've felt that the NC has a very specific vibe coming in at a certain rpm but this is usually low down as the engine 'chugs' out of low rpms. Generally at cruising speeds it is very smooth for a twin.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest CvEsch

I had a ride today and recon the engine is very nice to handle. The vibration is certainly not to bad coming from a XL1000 but has a nice feel when going into 4500 rpm+. I love the engine ass it gives some twin like feedback while being very smooth on lower revs.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Steve

I personally think this bike is quite vibey, but then I am getting used to it after an inline 4. Also my right hand is damaged so I find riding more than an hour uncomfortable...I am hoping that once the running in period of my NC is over I will be able to open the engine up a bit more and that the vibrations will hopefully decrease.

Guest gunshot72

I also came from a line of inline 4's but don't find the NC overly vibey, especially compared to others I've ridden - Ducati 848 Evo, Aprilia RSV4R, F800GS. These are all more vibey.

Rev Ken

Honda DELIBERATELY twists the crankshaft to give some vibs to give it some 'character' - but it is low frequency, as it is a low revving engine, and from memory it is less obvious or intrusive than the 650 & 700 DV - but more than my CBF1000. However I haven't heard of anybody finding it uncomfortable, unlike the CBF1000 that has an annoying vibration around 5,000 rpm that causes some riders 'numb fingers and b*ms'. The only answer is to get a good long ride on one before taking the plunge.