Guest adis.arapcic

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bigk

• scara

• Rocker66

Does look quite cheap and nasty for something that's going to get a lot of use.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest nigel w

This lock issue has struck my bike today, key in lock on false tank turn to the right seems tight

Goes about 45deg without opening, key slightly twisted now.

Is this becoming more of a common problem??

Bike has only done 450 miles.

Guest Seane

Mine literally snapped in the not tank on my NC700s a month or so ago.  Managed to still open it just by pressing the snapped key were it originally snapped off.  Went straight to Honda and they managed to get the snapped part out of the lock at no charge.   Even now it still sometimes feels not right and no doubt in time will snap my second key. :mad:  

Guest hunter

Same happened to mine.

When I collected my bike after purchase I noticed that the key / lock was very difficult indeed to turn to the right (OK to the left) which made it very difficult to open the trunk so much so I kept waiting for the key and or something else to break and was loathe to use the trunk.

I returned to the dealership a few days later to demonstrate same and they agreed something was not right and immediately took the bike into the workshop to investigate.

cable was found to have been routed incorrectly and was therefore very tight hence difficulty in turning key.

Problem was fixed within a day (including some new parts as well) and the lock is very easily now lock is easy to use now however both keys are twisted.

Edited by hunter
Guest maui4

Same with my bike too....

At first thought that it was a thief who tried to open it buy after reading the above post, it became certain that its honda issue...

i was also dissapointed with them..

i want to ask the people who fixed it. Did you replace that part with metal one/other lock and if its easy where i can find it? i dont wanna go to honda again after 2 months for that..

Thanks in advance!

Guest nigel w

Hi maui4, I cant help you with your question as my bike is still with local honda dealer. I called them this morning and they are not sure what they have to do with it yet. Hopefully I will have some answers tomorrow.

Guest Arynaka

Hi all

Ive just joined the site and found your posts which got my attention as im having the same problem.

My bike has done 300miles and is now back with Honda to repair the storage lock which failed when i tried to open the lid to get my phone and bank cards out.

I noticed the lock was stiff when i opened it but didnt think to much of it as the bike was new,but when i got home i tried to open the lid and the key just turned to right but would not release the lid

I took the bike back to the dealer who said this was the first lock to fail on their bikes.they took the bike to the service area and within 25mins the guy came back with my phone and cards but said they would have to keep the bike to repair the lock and the plastics around the lock which they had to cut open to get into the storage area.

I will let you know how i get on but im now worried to see how common it is on here and if this problem returns again...

Bye for now.

Guest hunter

Just as a matter of interest.

Although my faulty lock problem was fixed within a day I found out a week or so later, whilst speaking with the Honda technician who fixed my lock about another matter that he was still waiting on the parts as they were on back order.

To get me back on the road he said that he had loaned the necessary parts from one of their own bikes to fix my lock and get me back on the road.

Edited by hunter
suffolk58

Note to self: Never put wallet, phone and credit cards in storage box!

Rocker66

Just as a matter of interest.

Although my faulty lock problem was fixed within a day I found out a week or so later, whilst speaking with the Honda technician who fixed my lock about another matter that he was still waiting on the parts as they were on back order.

To get me back on the road he said that he had loaned the necessary parts from one of their own bikes to fix my lock and get me back on the road.

Sorry to hear of your problem but good to hear that you received very good service from one of those evil dealers that we hear so much about

Guest scrumpymike

There's a number of topics on the international NC forum relating to this, including 'How to open glove box without a key' by 'hondabikepro' and 'Emergency frunk cable made simple' by member 'itlives'. (Obviously the latter precaution is best taken before any problem occurs with the key-operated release mechanism.) Because I could see this becoming a widespread problem, I translated the keyless entry procedure from American and summarised it as follows:

If the key turns in both directions and the rear seat opens but the tank-box will not, it’s likely that the white cable holder on the bottom of the key assembly is faulty. (NB: This is part of the lock assembly and can’t be bought separately.) Here is how to activate the cable to open the tank-box and access the lock:

1. Remove the two push-pins on the right side of the black plastic housing that the tank-box key goes in.

2. Now you can pull the right side silver plastic scoop backwards. Pull it backward just enough to remove the front clips from the black plastic, taking care not to break the tab on the upper rear corner of the silver scoop. There is still one bolt holding the cover that you can’t get to with the tank-box lid in the closed position but, if you just pull the silver scoop up, you can see a hole. Look into the hole with a torch and you will see the lock and cable.

3) Make a small rod with a hook at one end and use this to hook the inner cable only (not the outer housing). Pulling on the inner cable will open the glove box allowing complete dismantling and access to the lock.

Unfortunately the accompanying pics had timed out, so I was not able to view or copy them. When I pm'd hondabikepro asking him to re-post the pics, he replied saying he no longer has them but added the following:

"Sorry did not get wright back to you, i am on the road, i leave for Oregon next week, and then to Texas, and then to colorado to do the the bdr. will not be back till mid august. i do not no how to repost the pics, i do not have the pics in photo bucket anymore. but if you pull up on the trunk on the right side at the point, you can see one screw, take this screw out, it will be tight not very much room, then the two in the front of that cover, then pull the cover back and off. if you look under the key from the right there is a hole, in side is the cable and latch, try to pull the cable. if anyone know how to repost the pics, without photo bucket please pm me. dale"

Not sure how helpful the above is but may be better than nothing!! When/if I get this fully documented, I'll re-post.

I honestly despair over Honda's apparent inability to design keys and related assemblies that are fit for purpose - this is a serious blind-spot in their technical vision.

Guest EasyTiger

Mine literally snapped in the not tank on my NC700s a month or so ago.  Managed to still open it just by pressing the snapped key were it originally snapped off.  Went straight to Honda and they managed to get the snapped part out of the lock at no charge.   Even now it still sometimes feels not right and no doubt in time will snap my second key. :mad:  

A good case for a non-chipped cheap steel dupe just for the Nottank...

Guest nigel w

Hi all a quick update for you regarding my false tank lock, my bike has been with Maidstone honda since Saturday. I called them at 5.30 this afternoon for an update, they have today submitted a warrenty claim to Honda uk for a new lock set. The bad news is they said it may not be sorted by friday when I'm due to go to france.

Is this honda trying to save money with cheap lock parts????

Guest scrumpymike

"Is this honda trying to save money with cheap lock parts????"

Seems to be par for the course in my experience of Hondas. Never had any issues with keys/locks on other makes of bike.

Guest hunter

I too am awaiting a new lock set under warranty.

My bike had been booked in to have the work done more than two weeks ago however on the evening before I was due to take the bike in the dealership phoned to cancel the appointment because a new lock set was unavailable and is now on back order.

Edited by hunter
Guest nigel w

Update on my false tank lock, just contacted dealer to see if lock turned up today. No should be in anytime soon they said, can you just check for me that its not on back order I ask, all goes quiet then the answer I didd'nt want it's showing not available until 15th August.

Don't know why this didd'nt get picked up when the order went in.

Guest hunter

Hi.

I received a phone from the Honda dealership, this afternoon, to say that the lock set had arrived this morning.

The work is scheduled to be carried out next Tuesday morning. 

Guest nigel w

Update on the false tank lock. Laguna honda maidstone came through for me today, first service, centre stand fitted, and a new lock set on the false tank. Off to France 06.00am on my war graves visit. Friday and saturday 1st world war. Sunda and monday 2nd world war. Going to find my nans brothers grave SGT Thomas Harris VC From upper halling near Snodland.

Ride safe.