Sign in to follow this  
kordun

Givi screen not tall enough - very noisy

kordun

Today i fitted new tall screen (Givi D1111 ST) to my NC750x and just been out to test it on motorway and other A/B roads. With original screen i was getting all wind in to my chest/neck area but now with this taller screen wind was hitting my face/helmet and noise was almost unbearable. Im 6'2 tall 

I think i will just put the original back on or maybe try adjust new one 

Marte

You may also try an adjustable deflector on top of the GIVI screen. It would allow you to redirect the airflow and reduce turbulences.

scrumpymike

As already posted in other screen topics on this forum, the Givi only appears to work well for riders up to around 5'9".

Guest Neil700

I have the givi and fitted Bruudt screen adjusters and now it's perfect and I'm also 6.2. Have it on the lowest setting with the adjusters and am really chuffed. Not cheap but beautifully made ...

nelmo

As already posted in other screen topics on this forum, the Givi only appears to work well for riders up to around 5'9".

Not true - it works fine for me and I'm 6' 2".

I find it makes little difference at eye level but what it does very well is take the pressure off chest, arms and shoulders so high speed on motorways is comfy. With the stock screen, 60 was the highest I could endure.

Edited by nelmo

kordun

i ordered that Bruudt so will see when it arrives 

Guest bluepaul40

I've got the Givi screen fitted and it has certainly helped to relieve the pressure from the wind and rain. It has made my 90mile daily round trip much more pleasant.

Steve Blackdog

I have bruudt adjusters with the standard screen, which doesn't really help.  With the Givi screen plus the bruudts, do you lose the buffeting around the helmet?

Guest Neil700

Hi Steve, with the givi / Bruudt combo I don't have any buffeting and can ride at 75mph with the visor open and still look over the top of the screen.

Steve Blackdog

Hi Steve, with the givi / Bruudt combo I don't have any buffeting and can ride at 75mph with the visor open and still look over the top of the screen.

Thanks Neil, that is quite tempting.  I came home from a ride today with quite a stiff neck from taking all the wind on my shoulders and helmet.

scrumpymike

Although a number of owners seem happy with their Bruudt brackets, for me any adjustable screen brackets should include adjustment for rake as well as height. If you can have it, why wouldn't you want it?

Guest Neil700

Hi scrumpymike. Rake adj. would be great, thing is though the Palmer products adjuster is bleeding fugly IMO. The Bruudts are a work of art and function brilliantly. I am happy with them ..

scrumpymike

Neil, you're right that the most complex solution tends to be the ugliest one - like the MadStad IMHO. In practice, I hardly ever adjust mine now that I've found the optimum setting. On that basis the best screen for each of us would be a fixed one that exactly suits us. If you manage to find one though, you're very lucky. And if you find one without wasting a chunk of money on the way, then you're even luckier!!

• Like 1

chicken george

i ordered that Bruudt so will see when it arrives 

Any updates on how you got on with these?

Thanks

kordun

it is a lot better but not perfect 

northmalvern

I am 6'4" (but ride a little slumped)

Originally I had the stock screen on my NC700X. I got no buffeting as the wind was hitting my chest, but the wind noise got really quite loud over 60mph.

I had ordered a Givi screen from Bransons of Gloucester to be fitted when I bought the ex-demo bike, but it was late into stock so rode without it for a few weeks. When it did arrive in stock I rode over (20miles) and waited while it was fitted. I then had another 20-odd mile trip to Bristol with the new screen and the buffeting around my head was awful. The taller screen seemed to put vortices right at my forehead height. The vibration effected my vision, let alone the noise - loud hard cracking wind noise.

After reading a few threads on here and the US site and ordered some Bruudt adaptors.

Out of interest I first tried the stock short screen on the Bruudt adaptors at full height (+c.50mm). WInd noise was louder than without the adaptors, but no buffeting.

I then tried the Givi tourer screen on the Bruudt and it was significantly better. No buffeting, but still some wind noise, but much less than with the short screen.

To improve things further I did the screen drilling mod to improve high pressure air bleed behind the screen. This certainly improves things again and the screen now performs reasonably well.

If I were a few inches shorter it would be perfect, but for me at least it minimises vortices and the subsequent buffeting and presents high pressure air sufficiently high enough to just about go over my helmet.

IMG_20140911_183012.jpg

Edited by northmalvern
  • Like 1

Guest EasyTiger

As Marte suggested above, sometimes an extra adjustable spoiler at the top of the screen can make all the difference.

I have one I attach for Motorway work, though I prefer to look over the CalSci screen the rest of the time, particularly in beading rain.

You can get an idea if it would make any difference by holding your hand where it would be...

roddy

Would anyone know if  the Palmer product adjusters would fit the S?

Guest stevieb

I don't know about the givi screen but I have just bought the puig one as I thought it looked better. As per previous posts the original screen I was getting the wind on my chest. The puig does send the wind over my head but its a lot noisier.

scrumpymike

Would anyone know if  the Palmer product adjusters would fit the S?

I'm pretty certain it doesn't.

Guest The saint

I don't know about the givi screen but I have just bought the puig one as I thought it looked better. As per previous posts the original screen I was getting the wind on my chest. The puig does send the wind over my head but its a lot noisier.

Did you get the Puig screen with the top adjuster added or just the screen? I'm thinking of getting the one with the adjuster but it's quite a lot more expensive (£115ish). As long as it stops the loud helmet turbulence I don't mind but at 6'5 I'm not holding my breath!

TGreg

I then tried the Givi tourer screen on the Bruudt and it was significantly better. No buffeting, but still some wind noise, but much less than with the short screen.

To improve things further I did the screen drilling mod to improve high pressure air bleed behind the screen. This certainly improves things again and the screen now performs reasonably well.

If I were a few inches shorter it would be perfect, but for me at least it minimises vortices and the subsequent buffeting and presents high pressure air sufficiently high enough to just about go over my helmet.

Hi Northmalvern, thanks for this post. I have exactly the same setup. With Givi screen I also had the awful buffetting, so I ordered the Bruudt adaptors. Now it is better but still have wind noise at higher speeds and some bufetting (I'm shorter than you I think - 176cm)

In which position do you use the the screen on the Bruudt adaptors? If I set to the highest, then the handlebars touch the Givi screen when turning left. If I set lower, more bufetting starts.

This is when I fix Bruudt adaptors on the lower position on the bike. If I mount it on the higher position I can't lift the screen more than 1-1,5cm from the bottom because it is in the position where touching the handlebars. So, I'm planning to cut the side of the bottom part of the Givi screen.

How did you drill holes on the screen? Did you put just three "random" hole? And what tool you used for this?

Edited by TGreg

northmalvern

Hi TGreg

I mount the screen at the top of the bruudt range - yes the levers do just touch the screen shortly before full lock. If I have problems with MOT Ill just either rotate the levers a touch, or trim off some screen with a jigsaw fitted with a fine tooth blade.

The holes were drilled with a 22mm core drill. Very easy to do, the plastic is not too brittle and machines easily enough.

I just measured three holes symmetrically spread across the bottom of the screen above the logo. Nothing too scientific.

Coincidentally I was taking the M5 back from Bristol airport the other night (around midnight) so had a chance to open it up (ahem) and drop in behind the screen. It's wonderfully calm and quiet if you lean forward and down over the frunk and just look over the top of the screen. all the air goes way over the top of you.

Edited by northmalvern
  • Like 1

wozza

A lot of peeps seem to be obsessed with tall screens which in reality create more wind buffeting around the helmet and so create more noise.

Low screens for me any day. 

michael

http://www.wunderlich.de/shop/en/wunderlich-varioergo-screen-deflector.html

Tried one of these after trying a CalSci windshield. Ditched the CalSci and added the windshield deflector on the stock screen. Not exactly Gold Wing weather protection but fit my 5'10" girth so that I'm not getting a wind blast in the chest/chin.

I'm quite pleased with the results, and son of a gun, it's inexpensive. A little trial and error to find the right angle and Robert is your Mother's Brother.

(Bob's yer Uncle).