unable to engage auto gear -either D or S- on NC750

bazza

Guest sykospain

This issue has definitely been addressed by the tweaks made to the 2016 models.

The delay in being able to engage drive on DCT models following engine startup has been eliminated apparently in the new versions - so the maker was clearly aware of this kind of problem Bazza, by now boasting "faster DCT engagement from neutral".

Maybe the golden rule is always to engage N when you stop the bike - before turning off the IGN.  And remember these bikes don't have what we would know as a regular carburettor - so no float bowl - electronic injection instead.

• 1 year later...

Boing an old thread.

Riding to get petrol; last night and I stopped ta a roundabout and the bike was pulling forward, like I was holding the throttle partly open? It wasn't a struggle and the brakes easily held it but I could feel this pulling forward? Got to the pump and stopped and it was trying to pull forward again. I turned the ignition off. After fuelling it started normally and rode him okay. This morning I started it and it sat at 2k revs. I let it warm a bit and snapped the throttle open a couple of times and eventually the revs dropped and I was able to get it into gear and ride to work. I came here in S mode given it an Italian tune up wherever possible. It seemed fine at every stop, just idling normally.

Did anyone ever find out what causes this?

TheEnglishman

<waves>

Something similar happened to me, with revs being applied in neutral, when one of the throttle cables snapped.  

• Like 1
SteveThackery

So it sounds like the original problem was the engine running too fast after start-up: that will prevent you from engaging drive.  I suspect things like the side stand, slopes, etc, are red herrings.

The bike has a cold start fast idle, so I guess you could get this problem if the bike actuates the fast idle when the engine is warm.  Alternatively the throttle is being held open by a sticky or maladjusted cable.

Very interesting mystery!  I wish I could make a useful contribution......

• Like 1
Guest Mac750

Not got a DCT so not much help, but didn't Bassa have a problem whilst on a recent touring trip . They showed a dodge to short the starter. The side stand switch was also suggested then. 

As for over rev, if it was on a hill which way was the bars turned, could the cables have been re routed badly when they looked at your last problem . ??

Snagged on full lock and then cleared once on the flat. Check the cable runs just in case you don't want that happening whilst riding bro. 

The throttle snaps back perfectly on mine. Also it wasn't cold when it first happpened,in fact the opposite as I'd just been  sitting at 70-80mph for about 10 miles. However, the next morning it was indeed stone cold and the revs sat at 2k? Been find since it's Italian tune up? ;)

Guest sykospain

Taking a flight to the UK two months ago, all 240 pssengers ended up sweltering in the plane on the tarmac for almost 2 hours, sitting in our allocated seats whilst the guy at the steering wheel came over the Tannoy and said.

"Sorry folks, rear cabin air con unit has blown."

We'd all gone suddenly silent a few minutes before when there was a loud bang at the back of the plane and all the lights had gone out.

Another long silence.  He came on again and said they were sending to Almería city centre for an aircon engineer, because the power unit that fed the rear cabin area aircon unit also fed the starter motors for the plane's jet engines. Gulp..

Some hopes, I thought...no way, in my experience.

Anyway an hour later he came on the Tannoy again and said in a rather embarrassed voice that he'd been in touch with the ground control centre in Luton.  They'd told him : - "Try switching everything off and then on again."

We took off shortly afterwards.  The aircon engineer never turned up.

Moral:- in case of a problem   r e b o o t....

Edited by sykospain