Rough noise from the engine area

Guest alexm3388

Guest Steve700x

I was surprised to discover that much of that noise from the front end must have been tyre noise from the Bridgestone BT023's.  I've just changed to Pirelli Angel ST's and they are much much quieter.  Very happy with them so far, although not been out in the wet.

Glad to know the change of tyre made a difference. I was thinking of trying PR3/4s or Angel STs when my Bridgestones finally expire. Thanks. Steve

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gercatts

• Graham NZ

• larryblag

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pull the clutch while riding, if its still there probably the tyre noise. My S tyre noise is very loud but I just wear earplugs.

Here we go, knocking HD riders again.       Andy.

The engine smoothness of my S is fine by me but then I prefer to have some engine 'feel'.   The HD thing - the knockers should first take a good look at the manufacturing quality - it's the

I've only had mine a few weeks and without earplugs I definitely notice a lot more noise coming up from the front wheel compared to my last (naked) bike. I think the hole where the front forks come up to the handle bars acts as a kind of tunnel loud speaker.

The other thing is that Honda made the engine deliberately rough to give it 'more character' by using an uneven firing interval crank, different valve timing and 'interfering' ports on each cylinder and less than perfect balancing. This is an interesting concept because most people try to make an engine as smooth as possible. Works for me though. :)

Richard

• Like 1
  • 3 years later...
Guest Nuno Monteiro

Hi, I have a NC750 DCT from 2016 and I also hear a incomodative noise from the front, like a rusty fan. This bike was bought second hand with very few km and the previous owner also heard this annoying noise. The bike is now in Honda shop being checked up, if this noise can't be fixed and is the normal noise of the bike I will sell it I buy another. Have 22 years of licence and I have lost count to the number of bikes rided, I love loud engine sounds, but Have never had a bike producing such a anoing sound.

King regards,

Nuno Monteiro

Spindizzy
3 minutes ago, Nuno Monteiro said:

Hi, I have a NC750 DCT from 2016 and I also hear a incomodative noise from the front, like a rusty fan. This bike was bought second hand with very few km and the previous owner also heard this annoying noise. The bike is now in Honda shop being checked up, if this noise can't be fixed and is the normal noise of the bike I will sell it I buy another. Have 22 years of licence and I have lost count to the number of bikes rided, I love loud engine sounds, but Have never had a bike producing such a anoing sound.

King regards,

Nuno Monteiro

Pull the clutch while riding, if its still there probably the tyre noise. My S tyre noise is very loud but I just wear earplugs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Guest Nuno Monteiro

Hi Spindizzy, thank for the tip, but it is not possible to pull the clutch in a DCT bike while riding.

I have already a response from Honda re-seller, its the normal bike noise! Maybe augmented by the type of the new tires.

For me to be completely sure before i sell the bike I will try to ride a equal bike of a work colleague.

But in the most probably cenário I will sell the bike. 

Kind Regards,

Nuno Monteiro

Slowboy

Most likely it's Tyre noise. Changes with the type of tyre fitted. My X produced a noise like you describe, generated by the tyres. Michelin pilot roads were better than Metzlers.

Edited by slowboy
  • Like 2
Graham NZ

Alex, my bet is that you're hearing front tyre noise.  The front brake on these bikes is also noisy during application.  With good ear plugs the noises disappear.  Enjoy and don't worry.

• Like 1
larryblag

I'm pretty sure the noise you're describing is tyre noise. I noticed it straight away on mine. The frunk and the the rest of the "tupperware" amplify it considerably. As does the front mudguard. Whilst fitting my fender extender I took the opportunity to lay some self adhesive sound insulation on the backside of the mudguard. Refitted it and much to my absolute surprise - it made naff all difference. Eventually I got used to it. 

• Like 1
larryblag
On 29/07/2014 at 21:43, Hamish said:

I've only had mine a few weeks and without earplugs I definitely notice a lot more noise coming up from the front wheel compared to my last (naked) bike. I think the hole where the front forks come up to the handle bars acts as a kind of tunnel loud speaker.

The other thing is that Honda made the engine deliberately rough to give it 'more character' by using an uneven firing interval crank, different valve timing and 'interfering' ports on each cylinder and less than perfect balancing. This is an interesting concept because most people try to make an engine as smooth as possible. Works for me though. :)

Richard

And yet Richard, isn't it the most vibe free bike you've ever ridden? Mine certainly was - amazingly so. 

Rocker66
12 minutes ago, larryblag said:

And yet Richard, isn't it the most vibe free bike you've ever ridden? Mine certainly was - amazingly so. 

Yes but then you had A HD😂😂

Bart Stilgo

I have Pirelli ST's and they have reduced the tyre noise on the front end BUT the fairing around the front does act like an echo box

It begins at low speed and stays regardless of speed

You will notice a change when road surface changes.

Like others have said it is part of the NC's character

I get engine noise when the bike is hot (sounds like a mild cam chain sort of noise)

Also on the DCT the gear change is clunky when cold and smooth when hot

So there are a load of different noises

Its been the same for over 6000 miles  Very consistent.

I took mine back to a dealer and the DCT mechanic took it out for a ride and just said everything was ok.

Noisy Character that's all

• Like 1
larryblag
2 minutes ago, Rocker66 said:

Yes but then you had A HD😂😂

Harsh Rocker :rolleyes:

But fair :console:

• Haha 1
outrunner

Here we go, knocking HD riders again.;)

Andy.

• Haha 2
Rocker66
10 hours ago, outrunner said:

Here we go, knocking HD riders again.;)

Andy.

Actually I was referring to to the bike not the rider and one of the things many HD riders like about the bike is the feel of that big V- Twin.

Graham NZ

The engine smoothness of my S is fine by me but then I prefer to have some engine 'feel'.

The HD thing - the knockers should first take a good look at the manufacturing quality - it's the best of all the makes.  The local HD agent has a showroom full of them along with Hondas, Ducatis and BMWs, and Harleys stand out as being the best finished. Next, ride a few in the way they were meant to be ridden - as cruisers and tourers.  If you want a nimble city commuter or a sports bike look elsewhere. And then there's the feel factor - here the HDs excel if you want to be riding an engine on wheels with base music accompaniment rather than be astride a sewing machine.  My Buell has a modified HD 1200 Sportster engine and I love the feel and sound of it.  Overall I rate it as a MUCH better bike than my Honda as a pleasure-giver.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
Bassman

Reading the replies to this topic with great interest. I am on the point of changing my NC 750S just because of this roaring noise from the front I am convinced it is tyre noise. Does anyone know of a tyre that seems to even improve the transmission of road noise. My front tyre is a Michelin street which I believe is a cheaper line tyre it is not worn out, if I could be sure fitting a PR3 or 4 which a lot of you guys recommend  would even make a bit better it would be worth a try before binning the bike. There are many things about the NC that are great but it is a noisy beast mechanical  noise I mean, not what you expect from Honda engineering. I take the point about wearing earplugs which I do but I can still hear this noise must be the frequency that  just gets to me. any help or comments would be great. I am thinking of replacing the NC with a CB500X although not made in Japan it looks a very good bike.

Rocker66
43 minutes ago, Bassman said:

Reading the replies to this topic with great interest. I am on the point of changing my NC 750S just because of this roaring noise from the front I am convinced it is tyre noise. Does anyone know of a tyre that seems to even improve the transmission of road noise. My front tyre is a Michelin street which I believe is a cheaper line tyre it is not worn out, if I could be sure fitting a PR3 or 4 which a lot of you guys recommend  would even make a bit better it would be worth a try before binning the bike. There are many things about the NC that are great but it is a noisy beast mechanical  noise I mean, not what you expect from Honda engineering. I take the point about wearing earplugs which I do but I can still hear this noise must be the frequency that  just gets to me. any help or comments would be great. I am thinking of replacing the NC with a CB500X although not made in Japan it looks a very good bike.

Having owned 2 CB500Xs I can really recommend them. If/when the Crossrunner gets too much for me then I’m more likely to return to a CB500X than get another NC.

• 1 year later...
St Albs commuter

I bought a NC750X back in November. I started noticing the irritating sound from the front after about a month, I have to admit. The sound is coming from the front tunnel. I have tried several fixes but nothing seems to tame it. I have added soundproofing material in the tunnel on the plastic parts that act as a megaphone. I took the bike back to the dealer to check the front rollers/bearings and they found nothing wrong. I then added soundproofing material to try and cover the tunnel altogether. If you attach it to the windscreen there is so much wind coming in from the front wheel tunnel that lifts it up once you hit more than 20mph!

The bike is very nice overall but just this unwanted sound feature makes it unbearable. It will drive me deaf in a few months time. It is not an enjoyable ride by any means. More than 20 miles an hour and it sounds as if my front forks are grinding the tarmac!

I am really let down by honda on this aspect. I am also riding on Bridgestones and a fellow NC rider told me that they are rubbish. I hope it is them but still hard to believe they can actually be THAT rubbish. 

Happy to hear if anyone who replaced the Bridgestone tyres lived happily ever after. Otherwise, I am selling the thing and then going for a X-ADV as the mechanics are the same but it does not have the stupid forks tunnel to destroy the experience. 

poldark

It isn't the "rubbish" Bridgestones (which certainly aren't!) though the change to non-adventure rubber seems to soften the road noise/roar.

With earplugs in place it becomes a characteristic rather than a deal breaker for the majority.

• Like 1
Graham NZ

People often talk a lot of ignorant rubbish when it comes to motorcycle tyres.  Established manufacturers would not be able to continue in business if their products were 'rubbish'.

I'm happy to use Avon, Dunlop, Pirelli, Michelin, Metzeler, Bridgestone, Yokohama, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

Some of us choose tyres because we like the appearance.  How discriminating is that!

If a manufacturer says that this model is their Sport Touring tyre I'm happy to fit a set to my NC.  For my Buell I want larger tread blocks because it has enough torque to tax small ones and I accept the need to ride it more conservatively in rain.

Tread pattern has scope for preferences when choosing tyres.  Large tread blocks as found on Sport Tyres deflect and flex less under driving loads than small ones but have fewer stipes for water channeling.  Many small tread blocks have many stipes and are likely to perform better on roads with surface water.

Some rear tyres have no sipes crossing the central strip and rely on the matching front tyre to disperse surface water before the rear one gets there.  Maybe, but my preference is still for tyres which do have stipes everywhere, but what would I know compared with a tyre manufacturer? 

To look at MotoGP bike tyres tells us a lot.  Slicks with no sipes for dry conditions and Wets with many small tread blocks and sipes for wet conditions.  Bring that back to road riding and there it makes sense to have tyres to cope well with wet roads because you never know when it'll rain.  Even the Forecasters often don't know that!

Then there's the miracles in grip achieved these day by the compounds used.  Having been riding since 1959 when tyres lost traction at the sound of rain, even on dry roads I can't bring myself to ride to anywhere near the limits of what current tyres can deliver.  10mm wide 'chicken strips' are far enough over for me, Mum!

• Like 1

Well there is a certain subjective side to any tyre conversation. But I generally concede that most opinions are anecdotal and not first hand . I on the other hand have found certain tyres suit certain applications and bikes more then others and this may be from an older model Dunlop on a ducati super light to the Pirelli corsa on my own 848 . My scooter didn’t handle as well on the better Michelin 2ct tyre as was on the Bridgestone hoop . The Michelin’s were probably to soft but the b/stones were a mare in the wet and on overbanding.

had contimotions on the nc for a while but replaced with pr4 which suit it better in the rain and has its england it rains a fair bit..

I don’t always buy into the blurb from marketing has this years sport/commute tyre was last years hot stuff. Hence the confusion I think , it suits the retailer 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Steve Case

Hi,

Its the radiator, its normal but because of the big gap behind the forks the noise is amplified then bounces off the screen.

If my tyres were that noisy I'd stop and check they were still there.

Steve Case

Oh and on the Bridgestones, they grip fine but I've always found them a bitch to turn and they are prone to tramlining

Trumpet

Motorcycle manufacturers do deals with tyre manufacturers on new Motorcycles. The tyres fitted to new Bikes are not necessarily the same as the tyre you can buy now in the shops. They can be designed specifically for that manufacturer to a different price point to the tyre you can buy. ..  In other words, don't condemn a tyre brand or type unitl you've tried a second set.

Edited by Trumpet
  • Like 1
Steve Case

not tried the avons or pirellis yet but the pr5 i have now are fine.

all the michelin i've run have been good or better with the exception of the power pure on the burgman 400 which was the wrong tyre for it.