Oil use?

axis

Hi all - anyone's engines using oil and having to top up between services ? I've got out of the habit of checking oil level regularly as my last few bikes have used none.

bazza

I checked mine as it's fine -off on a 1000 mile ride on Thursday.just talked to my dealer and he tells me they use 10-40 semi synthetic as there is a line of thought that fully syn can cause clutch slip.

I checked mine as it's fine -off on a 1000 mile ride on Thursday.just talked to my dealer and he tells me they use 10-40 semi synthetic as there is a line of thought that fully syn can cause clutch slip.

enjoy your trip to Scotland and the fishing   :thumbsup: ps haven't forgotten the pics just maniac at moment with work wiil do some new ones next couple weeks and post enjoy your break

Guest Todd L.

Any oil will make your clutch slip if it has friction modifiers in it. It does not matter if it's synthetic or not. Look for the JASO MA approval and you don't have to worry about clutch slippage. Never heard of any oil use from anyone since this bike has been out.

embee

Agree with Todd, a lot of urban myths about the differences between synth and semi-synth. Don't get hung up on it. A good brand semi-synth will do just fine, the JASO-MA says it has been tested and is shown to be suitable for wet clutch as Todd says, go there and you'll have no issues

I haven't seen any oil usage on my 700, I run it mid-way on the dipstick. Did a 2300ml Euro tour in June and the breather tube had about half a cc in it (it looks more because of the black plug in the bottom, but remove it and just a few drops come out).

bazza

Agree with Todd, a lot of urban myths about the differences between synth and semi-synth. Don't get hung up on it. A good brand semi-synth will do just fine, the JASO-MA says it has been tested and is shown to be suitable for wet clutch as Todd says, go there and you'll have no issues

I haven't seen any oil usage on my 700, I run it mid-way on the dipstick. Did a 2300ml Euro tour in June and the breather tube had about half a cc in it (it looks more because of the black plug in the bottom, but remove it and just a few drops come out).

thank Embee & Todd, just repeating what the service manager at Colwyn Bay Honda told me re fully synth oil!

Good to hear these engines don't use oil, thanks for the responses. No change on my oil level but I'm only at 2000miles so far.

michael

24,000+ km's and no oil use/loss.

Mine has gone in today at 4,150 miles for a oil and filter change and a general once over, will let all know the price when I pick it up later today.This one is going to go the whole 100,000 miles so I want to keep the engine in tip top condition if I can.