NC750X 2014. Trip meter random resets

Guest D@ve

Howdy all,

New to site!

Just bought a NC 750X (normal gears) in Kent. I've only done 350 miles. I started experiencing random resets on the digital trip meter. The speedometer and fuel gauge appear to be okay so far. I've contacted the dealer today and although they confirmed they were aware of it they stated that Honda, at present have no fix for it??? They also stated that this issue only affected a handful of bikes. Apart from this I love the bike but this is truly frustrating. Any ideas anybody..

Really appreciate your help.

Dave

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mike5100

• Rocker66

• roddy

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am pretty certain that the random resets are connected to the enabling and disabling of the HISS security system.   It is very easy to unknowingly disable the HISS.   If you are trying to zero the

I have new clocks and no problems since..! The clocks are re-set to zero but on your service book the mileage is recorded when its replaced so no problem as long has you have a service record

Hi all and thanks for quick responses. The bike came from Dobles in Coulsden. I've had bikes from these guys before and never had any problems. To be fair to them the guy on the service desk didn't try and brush this off he was aware of the problem straightaway.

I'm getting the feeling there is no immediate fix for this

Guest Todd L.

Unfortunately the new NC750 and even the 2014 NC700 in the U.S. have this problem. Something with the new dash that is problematic. I really like the new features they added to the dash (gear indicator for the manual and average mpg etc.) but they come at the cost of random trip resets for most people. I wonder if the new NM4 will suffer the same. There has been no solution from Honda yet.

Rocker66

Sorry Dave you confused me when you said that you bought the NC in Kent as Coulsden is in the borough of Croydon although some still refer to it as Surrey.

Anyway you are very welcome to the forum

Dave,ring Honda head office in Swindon, ask for service section, they will tell you it is in hand,they will get to the bottom of this problem,there is 4nc waiting in Plymouth, that I know of...Ride Safe...

Mike5100

I am pretty certain that the random resets are connected to the enabling and disabling of the HISS security system.  

It is very easy to unknowingly disable the HISS.   If you are trying to zero the tripmeter and you accidentally hold the A button down rather than the B button, you disable the HISS display instead.

I suspect I have done this more than once but after re-enabling the HISS about 1600 miles ago I have not had a single reset (whereas I must have expereinced 35 to 40 previously).

If this is the answer I am amazed Honda have not discovered it for themselves.   Even if it is a bug in the software I don't think it needs a recall.  As long as owners are told that disabling the HISS display light may cause problems with the tripmeter, they will be OK about it.  Certainly better than having new clocks fitted.

Mike

• Like 1
motorbykcourier

Hi Folks,

I've had the same issues since collecting my bike (the engine management light comes on from time to time due to this issue)

My dealer informed me that although Honda are aware of it - there is no quick fix.

They also commented that it is likely that the speedo unit is not made by Honda themselves and therefore they need to establish how the fault manifests and then get new / revised speedo's manufactured.

Morning all

Rocker66. Oops yes if course it's not Kent.. Doh!

Thanks to Lenp and Mike also. I'm going to ring Honda at Swindon today to register my grief !

I'll update with their response.

Cheers all

Dave

Ok so just got off phone to Honda Customer Services. I've been given a refrence number and am now waiting to be contacted by a technical bod from their Service Dept. The nice operator said;

" I'm sure we can resolve this for you and we're sorry to hear about the problem on your new bike"

Not what I expect from Honda I replied !

I'll post the outcome here but I guess like everyone else , I'm not confident this due to be solved soon :-(.

Thanks Dave

*** Update ***

Just been phoned by Honda head office. Complete hands up that this is an issue and they've apparently been working hard to resolve. They said that a software fix is imminent and that Dealers would be informed to contact customers. This is all supposed to happen very soon. I think the best ting is to register your issue with your dealer and at least it gives them a chance to get hold of you. I have to say, Dobles in Coulsden have been fine with me so fingers crossed!

Hope this helps..

Dave

Guest nigel w

one of the little niggles i have at the moment is after i collected my bike from the dealer last Thursday for my trip to france i noticed the dash was not giving average MPG reading, and over the 800 miles i did i reset trip B each time i refuel but no ampg. so bike back to dealer next week to see if the disturbed something when they fitted a new false tank lock.

i do hope this is not going to be a Friday night bike?

Mike5100

Nigel.  You may be getting the random trip reset problem as this naturally tends to confuse the average mpg calculator.  For the record though you are supposed to zero the Trip A meter when you refuel if you want accurate readings - not the B-trip meter

Mike

Guest nigel w

Thank you Mike I genuinely didd'nt know that. Its a great bike I like it but I don't want to keep getting little issues

All the time, its a bike worth sticking with as long as we owners don't start getting fobed off by honda and dealers.

Thanks again.

Guest nigel w

Used the bike yesterday and today now noticed the average mpg trip is all working ok, four days and 800 miles not working now working fine. So canceled visit to dealer monday.

So that will mean ANOTHER 120 miles trip to Dobles for me. Had the 600 (750 actual miles) service yesterday and the invoice said "No outstanding product update campaigns for this vehicle". If I have to go down there again I'm going to get the trailmaster tyres replaced at the same time.

Edited by djsb
  • 3 weeks later...
baben

Got this reset problem too. Phoned dealer and they are contacting head office for me (I hope). Love the bike though. It is best at back lanes and fast A roads though I find the suspension rather harsh. Definitely not nice on a motorway though - that's when I get the VFR out!

Mike5100

Glendon - have you checked out post #8 in the thread above?

Mike

Gareth,i am having my instrument panel renewed on my750x on Wednesday 27august at 9a/m at GT motorcycle,hope this will sort out my trip meter etc,if you around fancy a coffee while I am waiting?

Len, and to all that this applies to. Had my panel completely replaced today so hopefully all the gremlins will be sorted out, will report back if I still have problems.Takes all of 20 mins

• 2 weeks later...

I am pretty certain that the random resets are connected to the enabling and disabling of the HISS security system.  

It is very easy to unknowingly disable the HISS.   If you are trying to zero the tripmeter and you accidentally hold the A button down rather than the B button, you disable the HISS display instead.

I suspect I have done this more than once but after re-enabling the HISS about 1600 miles ago I have not had a single reset (whereas I must have expereinced 35 to 40 previously).

If this is the answer I am amazed Honda have not discovered it for themselves.   Even if it is a bug in the software I don't think it needs a recall.  As long as owners are told that disabling the HISS display light may cause problems with the tripmeter, they will be OK about it.  Certainly better than having new clocks fitted.

Mike

Hi Mike,

This looks very logical. I have noticed that some times when I check the trip immediately after turned off the engine, it hasn't been reset, but when returning to the bike, trip has been zeroed. So the reset problem occurs when the meter panel goes to sleep, and obviously fails to write the trip content to the memory. Now when HISS indicator blinks the meter cannot go to the deep sleep and even if the writing to the permanent memory would fail, it will stay in run memory 24 hours. I am pretty confident that your fix works, at least logically it prevents trip reset for 24 hours. It may also provide time for the write process to complete and there is possibility that it fixes the trouble completely. I had the HISS turned off by accident :D Now turned on again for couple off days and still waiting for the trip to reset...

Oh, hopefully this wouldn't spoil anybodies relief, but it would be good to know what happens with the meters that hasn't had any problem, or the replaced panels when the HISS is turned off.

- Matti

Hi Mike,

This looks very logical. I have noticed that some times when I check the trip immediately after turned off the engine, it hasn't been reset, but when returning to the bike, trip has been zeroed. So the reset problem occurs when the meter panel goes to sleep, and obviously fails to write the trip content to the memory. Now when HISS indicator blinks the meter cannot go to the deep sleep and even if the writing to the permanent memory would fail, it will stay in run memory 24 hours. I am pretty confident that your fix works, at least logically it prevents trip reset for 24 hours. It may also provide time for the write process to complete and there is possibility that it fixes the trouble completely. I had the HISS turned off by accident :D Now turned on again for couple off days and still waiting for the trip to reset...

Oh, hopefully this wouldn't spoil anybodies relief, but it would be good to know what happens with the meters that hasn't had any problem, or the replaced panels when the HISS is turned off.

- Matti

I checked out HISS and it was switched off so I switched it back on and I did begin to think the problem was solved because we did over 800 miles with no issues. The on the last run home from Edinburgh to Aberdeen we had a reset whilst on the move!!. Yes we never stopped or switched off the engine but my bike was reading 119 miles and the NC just 48 so we still have a fault!

Mike5100

I checked out HISS and it was switched off so I switched it back on and I did begin to think the problem was solved because we did over 800 miles with no issues. The on the last run home from Edinburgh to Aberdeen we had a reset whilst on the move!!. Yes we never stopped or switched off the engine but my bike was reading 119 miles and the NC just 48 so we still have a fault!

I haven't had that happen to me yet since resetting the HISS, but I must admit that my gut feeling is that it's not the HISS being switched off that CAUSES the trip resets, but disabling and re-enabling the HISS might well solve the problem for some time, but not permanently.

Mike