Rear axle nut size

Guest souldemon
Go to solution Solved by Guest phantom309,

Guest souldemon

Hi,

Does anyone know what the size of the rear axle nut is please?  Is it 27mm?  Also do you know what it should be tightened to please?  I am in the middle of purchasing a torque wrench and need to know the correct socket size to purchase as I need to adjust the chain after 2800 miles.

Cheers,

Ben

Trev

Sorry can't help with info but if it saves you buying a torque wrench there is spanner in the toolkit that fits it, bit of a struggle for loosening the not though it does work, used it for my first few chain adjusts. 

I know a torque wrench is ideal but have to say I've never used one on a wheel nut, they need to be pretty tight but you have to give them a right gorilla heave to stretch/strip threads so I've never bothered, saved my torque wrench buying for one for lighter loads where more danger of under tightening/stripping.

Guest bonekicker

Ben the highest torque i 108 n-m that's for the driven sprocket nut if you are thinking of buying one.

And as phantom309 says the rear wheel is 98 n-m

post-2426-0-54230200-1407237155_thumb.jpg

This is from workshop manual.

Ben if you donate to this site you will have access to the workshop manual and owners manual on pdf. 

Edited by bonekicker
Guest souldemon

Thanks guys!  I managed to get through to Dobles who were very helpful and as some of you have already stated it is 27mm and 98nm for the rear.

bazza

as Trev says its no good tightening to correct torque if you can't undo it at the road side- but with tubeless tyres a plug type  kit could get you home in the event of a puncture -and if anything worse then we all get Recovery with our bikes anyway!

Trev

as Trev says its no good tightening to correct torque if you can't undo it at the road side- but with tubeless tyres a plug type  kit could get you home in the event of a puncture -and if anything worse then we all get Recovery with our bikes anyway!

I've used Puncture Safe in a few of my bikes for some years and applied it to the NC when I fitted new Pilot Sport 3's last  year. Not had a puncture to date, or at least not one that it hasn't filled and I've not spotted, I do check tyre pressures on all my bikes regularly   :ermm: 

Have never used it in a sportsbike due to slight concern about causing imbalance that may only become obvious at very high speed but not seen any sign of this on any of the bikes have used it on at up to three figure speeds or when wheels being balance at tyre fitters so probably me being too cautious

bazza

I've used Puncture Safe in a few of my bikes for some years and applied it to the NC when I fitted new Pilot Sport 3's last  year. Not had a puncture to date, or at least not one that it hasn't filled and I've not spotted, I do check tyre pressures on all my bikes regularly   :ermm:

Have never used it in a sportsbike due to slight concern about causing imbalance that may only become obvious at very high speed but not seen any sign of this on any of the bikes have used it on at up to three figure speeds or when wheels being balance at tyre fitters so probably me being too cautious

I have Dynabeads in my KTM as I found sticking wheel balance weights tricky on a 3" spoked rim. They can't work if you have goo in the tyre on a tubeless one though.

They are tiny little beads -much smaller than a grain of sugar-and centrifugally distribute to even up the wheel.Worked on on the KTM but then others say that tubed tyres are slightly safer if you have a massive deflation. Luckily havent been there!

Trev

I have Dynabeads in my KTM as I found sticking wheel balance weights tricky on a 3" spoked rim. They can't work if you have goo in the tyre on a tubeless one though.

They are tiny little beads -much smaller than a grain of sugar-and centrifugally distribute to even up the wheel.Worked on on the KTM but then others say that tubed tyres are slightly safer if you have a massive deflation. Luckily havent been there!

Had a valve stem tear off my Enfield not long after I had it (must have been the excessive power!) and the tyre went flat instantly, surprising how scary that was even at only 40mph on a deserted backlane, luckily it was the rear.

Guest phantom309

i had a tyre valve split going down the motorway at 70..luckily it went down slow enough for me get off motorway an i was also lucky to be 1/2 mile from tyre shop...

Trev

i had a tyre valve split going down the motorway at 70..luckily it went down slow enough for me get off motorway an i was also lucky to be 1/2 mile from tyre shop...

Scary stuff on a motorway, had a blow out in our hire Fiat 500 last year on the motorway between Milan and Verona. Getting from outside lane to (very narrow) hard should was bad enough, changing the spare with lorries flying past only a couple of metres away was terrifying. In hindsight I should have left it and waited for recovery service but the thought of waiting hours in the baking sun with only a strip of Armo (steep drop the other side) put me off.

bazza

what a lot of lucky people we are regarding tyre blow outs- but maybe the not so lucky ones cant use a forum!