First 16000 miles service costs!

Guest chickenflaps

Guest chickenflaps

Following on from my "First 600 miles service costs!" posting, I thought you might find this interesting.  I today had the 16k service done at the Honda dealership.

All prices below include VAT at 20%, all in £ sterling:

Labour 272.21

oil filter 11.50

element comp 35.78 (I have no idea what that is)

drain plug washer 0.71

oil 42.80

total = £363

extras, rear brake pads, fitted 67.34

grand total £430.34

I declined their offer to change my brake fluid for £56.93

I was given a free courtesy bike (A Honda Forza, probably the bike I should really have but it just lacks that tiny bit of oomph that is needed on the motorway...that's another story)

So, overall, I think that's more than enough cash spent for the time being.  My 76mpg average will look rather worse than that if I factor in the cost of the 8k and 16k  services, perhaps I'll try an excel spreadsheet on that at some point.

I meant to ask them what a 16000 mile service costs for a Honda Jazz, but I was feeling a little dizzy after entering my pin number.

My two year warranty is now finished and so my services from now on are likely to be engine oil and filter changes and not much more than that all done in the comfort of my powerless garage.  

I can't type any more now, I need to lay down in a dark room with a flannel on my forehead.

Edited by chickenflaps
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rocker66

• roddy

• pointer2null

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My only comment on the above except to agree, is that costs and prices are unrelated.    I once charged £666.75 to change a fuse on a bus. The depot manager was a screaming black-box-be-full

Probably like pouring petrol on the fire but seriously paying £67 to fit a set of rear brake pads!  It's not even a 10 minute job.  Everything on this list is really easy and cheap to do yourself exce

Over servicing is a worldwide problem.  All manufacturers put in place service intervals far shorter than necessary.  Its a way of generating revenue and making the most of peoples general lack of und

Posted Images

make it the last time!

Guest robson

as far as I know you don't have to do service in honda dealer service. Regular service station would do the job for half the price probably.

Edited by robson
Guest surreyhills1

That is truly shocking,how the hell can they justify that cost for a service on a motorcycle.

Labour £272 how many hours did they work on the bike,I am spitting blood here and it is not even my bike,bloody main stealers.

Rocker66

Here we go again a couple of the dealers over charge and suddenly they ate all thieves.

The other day I saw a guy on a black NC S going around 45 MPH in a 30 limit approaching a pedestrian crossing where a  young woman with a child in a buggy was starting to cross. The rider made no attempt to slow. Using the principle that you guys use about dealers I should now assume that all NC riders are speed merchants who have no consideration for the safety of others.

It is wrong to brand everyone in a group by the actions of a few

Guest surreyhills1

Hi Rocker totally agree we can't tar every dealer with the same brush,but more often than not we ARE being fleeced.

These are motorcycles we are talking about here and more specifically budget friendly if you believe the Honda marketing blurb NC motorcycles.

How about setting up a specific area on the forum where by member's can post the cost of each service charged by each dealer against the specific mileage.

We can then make our own minds up !

coopers12345

element comp 35.78 (I have no idea what that is)

That will be the air filter.

It all depends what you service you want from the dealer, I have a 5 service plan for my car at a dealership for a fixed price, any additional work that they identify whilst doing the service I politely decline and do  myself.

I'll quite happily do the same with my bike until the warranty's up. Although if the 2 year warranty is finished as it's due it's 16k service I'll probably end up just having the 8k done at the dealer and then do the rest myself or take it to a local workshop.

Guest chickenflaps

That will be the air filter.

It all depends what you service you want from the dealer, I have a 5 service plan for my car at a dealership for a fixed price, any additional work that they identify whilst doing the service I politely decline and do  myself.

I'll quite happily do the same with my bike until the warranty's up. Although if the 2 year warranty is finished as it's due it's 16k service I'll probably end up just having the 8k done at the dealer and then do the rest myself or take it to a local workshop.

thanks for the info.

Guest chickenflaps

That is truly shocking,how the hell can they justify that cost for a service on a motorcycle.

Labour £272 how many hours did they work on the bike,I am spitting blood here and it is not even my bike,bloody main stealers.

Sorry to upset you, but at least you'll know what's a-comin' your way unless you choose to do your own servicing.

I have no idea if they did everything they were supposed to do.  I can only assume, and hope, that the tappets were checked judging my the oily finger prints now adorning the plastic underbelly thingy.

Oh, and they also managed to move the tutoro oiler pipe away from the sprocket (but that was hardly a long fix for me!).

I read, years ago, about a Cadillac with a 100k service interval and also how trucks have an oil filter about the size of a bucket meaning that oil changes are stretched to 75k.  It seems bikes have a long way to go!

We are a load of moaners, aren't we? (I include myself in that)... we complain about the cost and quality of servicing but then when we discuss buying a second-hand bike, we wouldn't buy one that didn't have a full service history  :getlost:

I used to use a mobile mechanic who only charged slightly less than a main dealer and he had no staff or rent to pay - and he still went out of business. Despite those charges, it obviously isn't easy to make a profit in bike servicing and we should be thankful to those people who pay those charges and keep the dealers in business for when we do need them or want a new bike.

I contributed with my 8k service - no more  :cry:  :D

Edited by nelmo
  • Like 1
Guest odansky

chickenflaps,

have you changed the chain and sprockets yet? 

the dealer wanted to charge me £184 + £66 for (chain,sprockets set) + 1 hour labor. 

I was hoping to change it towards the 16k service.

Edited by odansky
Guest chickenflaps

chickenflaps,

have you changed the chain and sprockets yet? 

the dealer wanted to charge me £184 + £66 for (chain,sprockets set) + 1 hour labor. 

I was hoping to change it towards the 16k service.

no, and I'm amazed to say that I've only adjusted the chain once so far.  the tutoro oiler, in my opinion, is worth it's weight in gold.

As I found with my 8000 service - put it out to quotes from at least 4 dealers before having the work done - mine ranged from 370 for the dearest (for the 8000 - basically an oil change!) to what I actually paid Kent Motorcycles 101.76.

That way there should be no surprises. In this case, the work was carried out to Hondas spec by a reputable dealer for a sensible price. So in my opinion, 75% of the dealers I put it out to quote for were way way overcharging, and to me that means I would have been ripped off by the Majority of Honda dealers who quoted for the work. That is the many, not the few.....

• Like 1
Guest surreyhills1

I will give Kent Motorcycles a call when my 8k service is due,it will be around 180 mile round trip for me but worth it if they can do the service for around the same price.

Quite a nice ride down there cross country as well.Thanks for the tip Mike!

Guest Peterpoddy

Couple of quid over £300 for the 16,000 on my 700x

That included everything, oil and air filters, valve clearances, brake bleed/fluid, coolant.

Done at Farnham Honda. Very professional outfit IMO.

Guest chickenflaps

Couple of quid over £300 for the 16,000 on my 700x

That included everything, oil and air filters, valve clearances, brake bleed/fluid, coolant.

Done at Farnham Honda. Very professional outfit IMO.

My dealer wanted to charge me an extra £57 for replacing the brake fluid - the old stuff seemed worth keeping at that price!

Slowboy

Sorry to upset you, but at least you'll know what's a-comin' your way unless you choose to do your own servicing.

I have no idea if they did everything they were supposed to do.  I can only assume, and hope, that the tappets were checked judging my the oily finger prints now adorning the plastic underbelly thingy.

Oh, and they also managed to move the tutoro oiler pipe away from the sprocket (but that was hardly a long fix for me!).

I read, years ago, about a Cadillac with a 100k service interval and also how trucks have an oil filter about the size of a bucket meaning that oil changes are stretched to 75k.  It seems bikes have a long way to go!

I know I've compared this before, but three years servicing on my Audi A1 cost me £400 as part of the purchase package, it would have been less if I had financed it, but i paid for the car outright as the deal was much better overall. About Every 18k the service comes around, and I only pay for extras not included, so far just a wiper blade on the back for some pence over a tenner at the main dealer. It's the TDI, and I get between 55 and 70 mpg. Service costs are much cheaper on the Audi than my Honda, which is just coming up to 2 years old with just over 13K on it. Oh, and the Audi warranty last 3 years, not 2, although it is limited to 50k miles.

My NC is out of warranty on a weeks time, and I will be servicing it from now on, having decided to keep is for another couple of years. By shopping around for my 8k service I saved over £100, so I would recommend ringing round come service time. And yes they were all Honda main dealers.

Scootabout

I live in London, and I expect the labour costs are higher here, so service costs are higher, too. I'm used to feeling fleeced at pretty much every service, so the 8k one on the NC was a relatively pleasant surprise at £205 (iirc). I don't have a great deal of mechanical skill or patience, so when the next one comes up I'm more likely to shop around than diy. I do get the impression that some people on here seem to have an unrealistic assumption about how cheap it can be to run a motorcycle, even one that's economical on fuel. Have you worked out the costs of new tyres, chains/sprockets, depreciation, insurance, repairs, replacement parts, VED, MoT (eventually), in addition to the fuel and standard service costs? I reckon doing the 6-8k miles pa I do on my NC will work out at around 30p per mile all told (ie fixed and variable costs included). And that's without factoring in the cost of periodic replacement of riding kit. For the pleasure and convenience I get out of biking, that amount is worth it to me. Others may disagree, but if you thought you were spending significantly less than that you'll probably keep getting shocks :)

• Like 2
Guest odansky

I live in London, and I expect the labour costs are higher here, so service costs are higher, too. I'm used to feeling fleeced at pretty much every service, so the 8k one on the NC was a relatively pleasant surprise at £205 (iirc). I don't have a great deal of mechanical skill or patience, so when the next one comes up I'm more likely to shop around than diy. I do get the impression that some people on here seem to have an unrealistic assumption about how cheap it can be to run a motorcycle, even one that's economical on fuel. Have you worked out the costs of new tyres, chains/sprockets, depreciation, insurance, repairs, replacement parts, VED, MoT (eventually), in addition to the fuel and standard service costs? I reckon doing the 6-8k miles pa I do on my NC will work out at around 30p per mile all told (ie fixed and variable costs included). And that's without factoring in the cost of periodic replacement of riding kit. For the pleasure and convenience I get out of biking, that amount is worth it to me. Others may disagree, but if you thought you were spending significantly less than that you'll probably keep getting shocks :)

Where did you service it? which part of London?

Guest jonty03

May I just add my two pennith - just had my 16000 mile service at Honda Preston:

Changed engine oil & oil filter / Changed dct filter

Changed air filter

Carried out health check & report - supplied computer readouts/ carried out resets

Serviced chain and all brake calipers

Replaced brake fluid

Checked valve clearances according to schedule - replaced the coolant as required

Roadtest and service wash

Changed rear tyre - customer supplied

Labour for service         £164.00

Replace rear tyre          £15.00

Oil filter                          £8.63

Clutch/dct filter              £6.50

O ring                            £2.87

Drain plug washer         £0.59

Air filter                          £29.82

Brake fluid                     £6.00

Coolant                         £10.48

Motul engine oil             £22.34

Something I don't recognise for £2.60

Total net                   £264.92

VAT                          £52.98

Total                        £317.90

My thanks to Honda North West for their assistance & good humour.