how to change tyre on the road on your own?

Guest robson

Guest robson

Anybody can point me to some description with pictures (or a movie clip) how to remove wheels and change the tyres on ncx?

For my own piece of mind I'd like to know this, just in case.  :fear:  I've got myself repair tyre kit but in a event the tyre is 

damaged badly it may not be enough.  Otherwise any longer trip will be scarring me off  :frantics:

coopers12345

Think how to remove the rear wheel is in the manual, but unless you've got a centre stand fitted it won't happen roadside.

But I don't see how/why you'd be changing the tyre yourself roadside though. You'd have to move to a garage to source a new tyre anyway, so can't really see the point.

Guest bonekicker

Honda Roadside Assistance, AA, RAC,GreenFlag???? seems easiest,  Not really a good idea to try and change tyres road side, and are you carrying the spare tyres around with you, what about a spare engine?  :ermm:

Hi Robert, I wouldn't' worry about having to change tyres or even punctures in terms of putting you off long trips - unless you're one of those adventure type bods looking to ride to Mongolia or similar  :hairy:

Thankfully punctures are pretty rare on modern tyres if they're well maintained and in good condition, I do about 10-12k a year across a few different bikes (about 7-8k on the NC, mainly longer trips) and have only had one puncture in the last ten years or so. That was a the valve stem being ripped out of a very old tube on a bike I had recently bought and had been standing for a while - in short I should have checked it over better before riding.

When you run through your cleaning routine take 5 minutes to check pressures and for obvious damage to tyres and don't forget to check the wear limit indicators when you know you've had a few thousand miles out of them, particularly the rear. If in doubt your local bike shop/bike tyre dealer will point out the wear indicators for you as they can be hard (nearly impossible!) to spot on some brands/tread patterns.

Hi Robert, I wouldn't' worry about having to change tyres or even punctures in terms of putting you off long trips - unless you're one of those adventure type bods looking to ride to Mongolia or similar  :hairy:

Thankfully punctures are pretty rare on modern tyres if they're well maintained and in good condition, I do about 10-12k a year across a few different bikes (about 7-8k on the NC, mainly longer trips) and have only had one puncture in the last ten years or so. That was a the valve stem being ripped out of a very old tube on a bike I had recently bought and had been standing for a while - in short I should have checked it over better before riding.

When you run through your cleaning routine take 5 minutes to check pressures and for obvious damage to tyres and don't forget to check the wear limit indicators when you know you've had a few thousand miles out of them, particularly the rear. If in doubt your local bike shop/bike tyre dealer will point out the wear indicators for you as they can be hard (nearly impossible!) to spot on some brands/tread patterns.

Thanks, I believe this is true on tarmac but I often like riding off-road, on gravel, forest paths, grass etc.  Even yesterday riding across the small forest trail I rode through piece of glass.  Luckily nothing happened.

I know those tyres are not ideal for offroad, knobby one would be more resistant to puncture but still. 

Still, unless you're going somewhere very remote carrying all the gear needed to change a tubeless tyre is probably total overkill. You'd need a bead breaker to unseat the tyre, levers to get it off the wheel (plus something to protect the rims from the levers) and a way of inflating the tyre to get it back on the rim. Portable breakers & levers are easy enough to find - but carrying a couple of spare tyres so you could use the tools might get to be a bore.

Thanks, I believe this is true on tarmac but I often like riding off-road, on gravel, forest paths, grass etc.  Even yesterday riding across the small forest trail I rode through piece of glass.  Luckily nothing happened.

I know those tyres are not ideal for offroad, knobby one would be more resistant to puncture but still. 

I understand, yes definitely more risk but not I think to carry a spare tyre. I use Puncture Safe (Goop and Slime are similar) in some of my bikes, particularly the off-road one as well as the NC and this may be something to consider. Perhaps also a change to an 'adventure' tyre when your current tyres wear out, I have Michelin Anakee's on my Royal Enfield as I do exactly this type of riding on that bike as well as tarmac roads although not long runs, not sure whether any more resistant to punctures though than a full-on road tyre.

I carried a mushroom plug kit for 5 years and 100,000 miles before I needed it. Small cotter pin punctured my tire. It had been unused in my kit so long I forgot it was there, but finally remembered.  At 5AM I had to use flashlight to read instructions, but was very glad I had it. Put another 1000 miles on yore before replacing it.