Chain replaced (by me!) or: How I spent an Unfulfilling Hour in my Shop.

michael

27,000 km's (16,000+ miles) and my chain was exhibiting all the signs of being "toast." Tight links, difficult to adjuster due to the tight spots and a more telling sign, crackling while running.

As it's my daily driver and I'm taking it to work each day, I didn't want to run the risk of being stranded, either by the side of the road or at home.

I acquired a chain, but couldn't source (quickly enough) a 17 tooth front sprocket or a 39 tooth rear sprocket. I've been wanting to change the final gearing for a while, to reduce the RPM slightly at what I affectionately refer to as "Nominal Destination Velocity." So I've committed the ultimate chain replacement sin….I've slipped a new chain over used sprockets. Yes, yes, as a purist I've certain I've doomed the chain to a shortened life span; I'm hoping to source the sprocket's I desire when it comes up for replacement again next year.

Removing the old chain with my trusted chain breaking tool was easy. Slip the pin over the exposed rivet and twist away with a wrench/spanner. 

The new DID VX2 chain arrives with 120 links. Easy enough, count off 6-remove those-and Robert is your Mother's Brother. (Bob's yer uncle)

Broke the tool.

Grnnnnn.

Resorted to my Dremel tool to grind away most of the pin and link, then used a centre punch to finally drift it away. The rest of the replacement went easily.

Result? Properly adjusted chain has eliminated (obviously) the worn chain noise and vibration. The bike feels to me, to run more smoothly now that power is reaching the rear wheel in the manner the engineers intended.

I'll continue to search for the gearing I'm hoping to try (imagine, 2 dealers with no sprockets in my size!), ensuring I have them waiting and ready for the next installation of my chain *and* sprockets together.

dandemann8

You can purchase the same chain with 114 links..... ;)

dandemann8

Another Great White NC750X bit of information, there's no flies on this lad :D

Perhaps he wanted more for his money...... ;)

I did my own chain once and it took me so long, I vowed to get a pro to do it from then on. Local garage charges one hour labour (I buy the chain and sprockets separately) - no brainer for me...:)

You can purchase the same chain with 114 links.....

Yes, yes one can.  Given the time. I've discovered one can buy them as a kit. Sprockets and quality chain with the appropriate number of links. Which is what I may do next time. Or…….

I vowed to get a pro to do it from then on. Local garage charges one hour labour (I buy the chain and sprockets separately)

Which is most definitely my preferred method of riding motorcycles. Although I enjoy doing some of my own maintenance, these types of jobs are best done by someone else. Some one whom does it for a living while I'm happily working away in my office.

Is there realky a problem using the old sprockets if they're not badly worn or hooked? I recall old advice saying one could reuse even hooked tooth sprockets if ya turn 'em round. Has new technology made this practice redundant?

Will u consider a 525 conversion when u next replace the chain Michael?

Guest motorboy

Is there realky a problem using the old sprockets if they're not badly worn or hooked? I recall old advice saying one could reuse even hooked tooth sprockets if ya turn 'em round. Has new technology made this practice redundant?

No never turn them around bad things happen , my rule has allways been front sprocket with new chain rear sprocket every other chain thats if it is a steel one and I do clean and lube every 300-500 miles

Guest Southerner

Hey Croz, what's a '525 conversion'....?

In a perfect world you'd always change chain and sprockets together - but who lives in a perfect world? Sometimes, circumstances (availability, finances etc) force one from the path of righteousness. :)

If the sprockets looked to be in good shape, I don't see a problem. Be interesting to see what sort of mileage you get from the new chain.

Where's a good place to buy C&S kits from? I have to put some on my son's Street Triple soon (and he doesn't have the cash to pay someone to do what his old dad will do for free - I'll probably buy the bloody parts too - sigh).

I had not considered the 525 conversion, as I'm uncertain there is much to be gained.  

Although I may just be returning to my practice of keeping a master link threaded through a lace hole of my boot. Oh wait, I don't wear those boots any more. I used to carry a master link not so much for myself, but in the event a fellow motorcyclist ran into chain issues. Hasn't happened, although I've stopped for a fair share of final drive failures in my time.

I'd be delighted if I achieve the same mileage with the same sprockets (old) being yanked by a new chain. Secretly, I'm dreaming that constant lubrication will play a role, although I'm fairly convinced my need to replace the chain without my replacing sprockets will probably have me changing chains and sprockets next year.

Chain and sprockets may be sourced here, albeit it's this side of the pond.

http://sprocketcenter.com/index.php/street-sprocket-applications/honda/nc-700x-2012-2013.html

These fellows also market sprockets…and they have the 39 tooth rear apparently available, although I believe I'd prefer the 17 tooth front and the stock, 43 tooth rear:

http://www.jtsprockets.com/catalogue/model/4928

I suspect if I maintain my current riding pattern (16,000 miles in 15 months) I'll be sliding my credit card over the counter to the dealer to replace these items again within another 12 to 15 months.

Then, there's my much enjoyed toy for just poking around the gearing world:

http://www.gearingcommander.com

Hey Croz, what's a '525 conversion'....?

(Croz assumes race face with thousand yard stare) you want the truth Doe? You can't handle the truth!

Oh.... alright then...

Some people have talked about going up in chain/sprocket size from the STD 520 to a 525 (a little wider) as an aid to chain longevity. I don't know what to think of it as the blokes with the big Gixxers are replacing their 530s with 520s!

Maybe best to just be careful not to lug the donk when riding, but keep it spinning a little more (having read of knocking out Norton twin main bearings and flogging Harleys by reving too low).

BTW - what's this "optional H mode" bizzo then?

Croz out.

Guest Southerner

(Croz assumes race face with thousand yard stare) you want the truth Doe? You can't handle the truth!

Oh.... alright then...

Some people have talked about going up in chain/sprocket size from the STD 520 to a 525 (a little wider) as an aid to chain longevity. I don't know what to think of it as the blokes with the big Gixxers are replacing their 530s with 520s!

Maybe best to just be careful not to lug the donk when riding, but keep it spinning a little more (having read of knocking out Norton twin main bearings and flogging Harleys by reving too low).

BTW - what's this "optional H mode" bizzo then?

Croz out.

Thanks Croz - interesting. Wonder if a wider chain sits OK on standard sprockets, or does the sprocket need to be wider too? Just curious.

Optional 'H' Mode = Hooligan....! Just refers to my riding style at times.... :fear:  

Yeah I think it needs new, wider sprockets with the chain.

Weren't the Hooligans a family/gang of wild Irish thugs in London years ago?

Spot ya

I fitted a new DID VX2 chain to my existing sprockets at about 4k miles (from new) if I remember correctly because with the reputation of chain issues and the feel of the OE chain I felt happier with a better spec item. The teeth looked pretty much unworn so the judgement was that a new chain would not suffer. The chain was about £60 from Busters eblay shop, I reckoned at that price even if it reduced the service life a little it would be a lot more cost effective than a new set of sprockets at the time. You have to use judgement on these things, a new chain is likely to be kinder on the sprockets than a stiff creaky stretched old one. Wemoto is another useful trustworthy supplier of bike spares.

As Michael said, the new VX2 feels silky smooth compared to the OE (DID Japan O-ring) chain.

As a suggestion, if you have a centre stand, consider getting an endless chain and drop the swingarm out to fit it. I rivetted the chain myself, but decided to take the s/a out anyway to check the grease in the bearings, and it was pretty easy to do and really doesn't take long at all, plus needs no special tools just regular sockets. Next time I'd go for a factory rivetted (endless) chain.

The VX2 has done about 5k miles now and is still smooth and has had only one minor adjust after bedding in, so I reckon has a pretty good service life in it, no need for a 525 conversion IMO (and yes, you must use the correct sprockets for the chain width).

Edited by embee
  • Like 1
steelhorseuk

I fitted a new DID VX2 chain to my existing sprockets at about 4k miles (from new) if I remember correctly because with the reputation of chain issues and the feel of the OE chain I felt happier with a better spec item. The teeth looked pretty much unworn so the judgement was that a new chain would not suffer. The chain was about £60 from Busters eblay shop, I reckoned at that price even if it reduced the service life a little it would be a lot more cost effective than a new set of sprockets at the time. You have to use judgement on these things, a new chain is likely to be kinder on the sprockets than a stiff creaky stretched old one. Wemoto is another useful trustworthy supplier of bike spares.

As Michael said, the new VX2 feels silky smooth compared to the OE (DID Japan O-ring) chain.

As a suggestion, if you have a centre stand, consider getting an endless chain and drop the swingarm out to fit it. I rivetted the chain myself, but decided to take the s/a out anyway to check the grease in the bearings, and it was pretty easy to do and really doesn't take long at all, plus needs no special tools just regular sockets. Next time I'd go for a factory rivetted (endless) chain.

The VX2 has done about 5k miles now and is still smooth and has had only one minor adjust after bedding in, so I reckon has a pretty good service life in it, no need for a 525 conversion IMO (and yes, you must use the correct sprockets for the chain width).

Yep, totally agree, the VX2 X-ring transformed by NC700SA. I had endless chain problems and if this didnt fix it the bike was getting P/X'd for sure but happily I had no more problems!

--Mark--