burning smell after riding in the rain

Guest robson

What can it be? yesterday I finished short trip during the rain and when I arrive

more steam then usually showed up from the engine and radiator and I smelled

some burning odor.   Today when I started engine the smell is gone it's gone.

It's normal. Do a search of the forums and you'll find a few threads from other riders - the muck off the road thrown up by the front wheel into the radiator & onto the cat gets burnt of & evaporates so when you stop the smell just rises up.

• Like 1
Rocker66

It's normal. Do a search of the forums and you'll find a few threads from other riders - the muck off the road thrown up by the front wheel into the radiator & onto the cat gets burnt of & evaporates so when you stop the smell just rises up.

Your absolutely correct. It has been well documented on here

thanks, that must be it then because I don't see any animal hanging there :)

good, because I was worry some cables are burning....

ScaredyCat

It's normal, probably just small bugs + rain + grime from the road. I get it all the time in the rain, can only smell it what I stop though.

• 5 months later...
Guest Zeetsman

Had the same problem started last week, smell of burning, today it cut out on the way into London.... being recovered and taken to the dealer. Not good.

Guest jdearauj

I had the same issue and investigated for hours. Eventually found it was my 3rd Party exhaust which was the culprit and only happens when it rains.

Huskyteer

I always get exhaust smell in the rain - it's very noticeable.

Also water vapour coming up through the headset, which was a bit alarming the first time!