anybody ran out of fuel already?

Guest robson

I wonder how does it feel like on this bike

with that freaky fuel gauge. I got many times

way too early last, red bar blinking with 0 gallon or liters left display but I didn't have courage

to wait longer to see how much fuel is left.

What will happen after red bar blinking is done, an audible signal or

message on display to stop the bike? 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shiggsy

• Scootabout

• bazza

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The red blinking bar / 0.0 is the warning! Just find the nearest gas station. You've ~2.9 liters / 0.77 US gal / 0.64 Imp gal remaining to do this...   Also have in mind that running so low it may b

Surely once you see the flashing light it would be a good idea to slow down a bit to try to conserve the remaining fuel

Ive ran out of fuel last week did 193 miles and squeezed in 13.5 litres but what happened to the 0.6 litre that should of  been left in tank Mind you this was after doing a 85-90 mph cruise on motorw

I find on my NC the blink starts at consistently 10.5 lts used, so I feel completely confident in going another 20-30 miles before fuelling up, though I do start to look for fuel once it starts blinking (having got very very close to running out on a couple of occasions in the past, I don't want to go there again).

I doubt if there will be an audible signal or message - I think you'll just be pushing like we did in the old days!

I just think it can be dangerous at higher speeds when all of the sudden engine starts to choke...

Slowboy

There is no message, it just stops. I use my trip meter as a fuel guage, and fill up between 170 and 200 miles, because I know I can do over 210 on a tank full. Of course the 700 doesn't suffer from the random resets on the trip meter. Either that or just fill up when the blinking starts, there will be at least 30 miles left in it. Never worried about it myself.

i deliberately ran out - my dct went to 0.6 in the display -about 50 miles from 1st notification (0.0)

But its a stupid idea and Honda needs us all to notify them -surely its only a software change that could be done on service? If is actually to mean something ie counts down from say 0.6 to zero it would be better or why not a miles used since you got to "reserve" - works perfectly on my KTM.

Rocker66

I just think it can be dangerous at higher speeds when all of the sudden engine starts to choke...

Surely once you see the flashing light it would be a good idea to slow down a bit to try to conserve the remaining fuel

• Like 1

15058388809_c4acf39e0c_z.jpg

The red blinking bar / 0.0 is the warning! Just find the nearest gas station. You've ~2.9 liters / 0.77 US gal / 0.64 Imp gal remaining to do this...

Also have in mind that running so low it may be bad for the gas pump, because it may get some dirt in it, and it's not cooled. 

• Like 2

294km? Well done.

I'm getting up to 212, and rarely less than 200.

Oh, but that's to reserve, and that's miles!

That's 342km to reserve. :)

not all town riding then Peter?  I get better consumption on distances but around 170mpg around town

No! This is with 0L left in the tank! 

My best is 314Km with 10.375l :) (3.3l/100Km)

It was in the countryside...

Edited by ste7ios
steelhorseuk

I regularly ride with the low fuel warning light flashing and it has never run out.

I am now confident it will do at least 40 miles like this.

exactly! 

--Mark--

If you want to try out how far can you go until the bike stops, you can put at least a litre bottle with fuel in the nottank, so if the bike stops, just pour in the fuel and good to go for about 20 more miles :)

If you want to try how it feels when run out of fuel, just push the kill switch, which will stop the ignition/injectors.

Guest Geeman58

Hi guys i'm a newby here having just purchased 750xa. On ride home from picking it up, the fuel indicator went from 2 bars to flashing red whilst steady riding. One minute i was in comfort zone, the next nervous of running out on motorway. Is this normal behaviour with these guages?

Hi guys i'm a newby here having just purchased 750xa. On ride home from picking it up, the fuel indicator went from 2 bars to flashing red whilst steady riding. One minute i was in comfort zone, the next nervous of running out on motorway. Is this normal behaviour with these guages?

unfortunately yes, and that what scared me first time I saw it.  Honda could do better then that, I mean we riders are nervous as is no need to extra attractions.... 

Edited by robson

294km? Well done.

I'm getting up to 212, and rarely less than 200.

Oh, but that's to reserve, and that's miles!

That's 342km to reserve. :)

well, I guess that guy got the record  440 km / 273 miles on a tank ! 

Edited by robson

They have their sums wrong, no way 73 mpg equates to a 273 mile range.  73 mpg = 16.04 miles per litre and with a tank capacity 14.1 litres that gives a range of 226 miles.

I use a spreadsheet to record fuel economy (yes, sad, I know).  At the end of every entry I extrapolate by calculating what the tank range would have been based on that tank full fuel economy.  The best I got was 225 miles.

They have their sums wrong, no way 73 mpg equates to a 273 mile range.  73 mpg = 16.04 miles per litre and with a tank capacity 14.1 litres that gives a range of 226 miles.

big difference 226 miles or 360 km but I think it's still possible to get that posted range. I don't take notes about my mpg but I think I was getting once around 3.1 or 3.5 l/100 km don't remember (long trip) what would be even more range. Unless the on board computer is teasing. 

It is possible, you'd have to achieve 88 mpg. Best I have ever got is 92 mpg, but that was really trying, clutch and drift where possible etc. Wouldn't want to do that all the time.

Edited by shiggsy
Guest Peterpoddy

not all town riding then Peter?

Not much no, but there's traffic! 26 miles each way 5 times a week.

A few miles of motorway filtering at each end between j4 on the m3 and just past Twickenham and about 4-5 miles total of back roads split between each end of that. Probably around 10-15 miles of clear road depending on the traffic. Currently averaging around bang in 85mpg over the last 3 months/2800 miles.

Guest Peterpoddy

I use a spreadsheet to record fuel economy (yes, sad, I know). At the end of every entry I extrapolate by calculating what the tank range would have been based on that tank full fuel economy. The best I got was 225 miles.

I use an iPhone app called Road Trip. It's very useful. It's giving me a theoretical range of 262 miles. Best I've had is 240-something, but I'm not trying to beat it, I'm commuting and I fill up every 4 days at the same place.....

Guest Mashie1964

I ran out of fuel on the hottest day last summer. My NC700X showed 2 bars, so I planned to refuel on the way to work. After lest than 5 miles, the oil warning light came on and its just came to a gradual halt. No coughing or spluttering, just a loss of power. Got recovered back to the dealership who said that my fuel bubble had got stuck and I was in fact out of fuel. I always check miles since last refuel now. Lesson learned...don't trust the fuel gauge.

Edited by Mashie1964

I ran out of fuel on the hottest day last summer. My NC700X showed 2 bars, so I planned to refuel on the way to work. After lest than 5 miles, the oil warning light came on and its just came to a gradual halt. No coughing or spluttering, just a loss of power. Got recovered back to the dealership who said that my fuel bubble had got stuck and I was in fact out of fuel. I always check miles since last refuel now. Lesson learned...don't trust the fuel gauge.

that sucks, we got to remember to reset trip computer all the time... 

In the old days we could trust analog gauges didn't we?