Sign in to follow this  
Guest Agothaclypse

LED Headlight bulb.

bikerbampi

Haven't got any experience with them myself but I too would be interested in anything that is less drain on the battery as long as the performance is comparable or better.  :thumbsup:

Puglim

I have no experience of these type of bulbs from a lighting point of view, however just a word of caution for anybody who happens to use some form of radio communication on their bike. My experience is that LED lights radiate significant radio frequency energy, in my case to block the amateur radio VHF 2metre band.

There is a thread under 'radio interference' if anyone is interested in how I discovered the problem. From a lighting point of view they sound good.

TheEnglishman

The thing with LEDs is I wonder what their light output is over time.  And temperature too.  And would the MOT man pass one? (I could do without the pfaff of changing it over come MOT time)

Those Bosch Pure Light's look good value though.

Rocker66

I see no reason why there should be a problem at MOT time

prr

I was considering such change but the bulb can't fit in NC750X :( The space between the back of the bulb and the steering is too small and there's no enough space to fit such bulb. So I will stick to the X-treme vision which are just fine for me.

Guest Agothaclypse

Thanks for all the replies.

Paul.

Guest Agothaclypse

I see what you mean PRR, however, if look closely at the photo, it appears that the electrical connection is at the side, therefore allowing enough space.

think I will invest in one to try it out.

Paul.

prr

Hi Agothaclypse,

Actually I was referring to the ventilator at the back. Please note that once you put it you also should cover it with the rubber "cap". 

Anyway. Would be glad if it fits and you share the result. I'm really keen of making this change to ...

BR,
PRR

TheEnglishman

I see no reason why there should be a problem at MOT time

Beam pattern. These things aren't approved. Well I can't see any type approval on any websites. And no ones said ' yea - really good beam pattern using xx...'

Rev Ken

Beam pattern. These things aren't approved. Well I can't see any type approval on any websites. And no ones said ' yea - really good beam pattern using xx...'

It isn't necessary to have a type approved bulb, only that the beam pattern is 'reasonable' (my interpretation) and can be adjusted according to the MOT requirements. Naturally that is dependent on the position of the light source and on quality control.

ncmf

Would be interested to know if these fit.  Getting a HID to fit in an NC is a pain, so would be good to have an alternative.

Would also be interested in the performance compared with HID.

TheEnglishman

Would be interested to know if these fit.  Getting a HID to fit in an NC is a pain, so would be good to have an alternative.

Would also be interested in the performance compared with HID.

Yea they fit - it's just an LED in an H4 fitment.

Like you, I'm not keen an a solenoid moving the bulb forwards and backwards in a HID fitment.

LED's are apparently as good as a high end halogen bulb, so some way behind the light output of a HID.

prr

Not really. There is a cooling element which the normal H4 doesn't have. And the space where the bulb is is quite limited, so I'm not quite sure it will fit. Waiting somebody to confirm/reject it before any further steps ;)

Rev Ken

Like you, I'm not keen an a solenoid moving the bulb forwards and backwards in a HID fitment.

LED's are apparently as good as a high end halogen bulb, so some way behind the light output of a HID.

I don't understand the reference to a solenoid moving the HID bulb forwards and backwards? So far as I understand there are two types. First a 'standard', equivalent to a single filament bulb. The second type equivalent to a two filament bulb has a moveable shield in the bulb glass that rotates to give two different beam patterns. Of course I could be wrong!

• Like 1

Hati

HIDs supposed to be self leveling as the car is loaded, to compensate rising the beam into the eye of the oncoming traffic. One way to achieve that is via solenoids, the other is motors. This is the reason aftermarket HID is illegal in Australia. We also have a requirement for headlight cleaner on HID lights. Usually just a window washer spray head.

ste7ios

This is not only an Australian requirement, but E.U. too.

Also add HID compatible mirror and lenses...

Rev Ken

This is not only an Australian requirement, but E.U. too.

Also add HID compatible mirror and lenses...

Only for cars in Europe, NOT for motorcycles ...... so far.......

Guest Splaxsher

Hello Everybody,

had already anybody tried it out?

thanks

Guest mez

Hello Everybody,

had already anybody tried it out?

thanks

I am currently using a LED H4 bulb in my NC700X. The light spread and density is very good for the low beam. The high beam makes minimal difference. All in all for the price I am quite happy with the result.

prr

@mez, would you share the brand/model you are using?

Guest mez

@mez, would you share the brand/model you are using?

The brand is "chin-chon-china man"!!!

But a friend of mine is vouching for the Cyclops LED H4. You can find more info on the advrider forum, and it also fits on the NC just fine.

Guest Splaxsher

I am currently using a LED H4 bulb in my NC700X. The light spread and density is very good for the low beam. The high beam makes minimal difference. All in all for the price I am quite happy with the result.

@mez thanks for the answer i'm happy for know that it is working, can you please put here some photos of how is it? and how white is the light?

Was it easy to assemble?

jonty03

I too have had a try - the Cyclops H4 led headlamp replacement. Rode with it for a few weeks to assess the performance. Just recently removed it and gone back to a Bosch pure light bulb.

Verdict? Very powerful, lots of strong white light on low beam setting but I became worried about the glare affecting other road users. The way the led can illuminate road signs 10 to 15ft in the air like the Gibb brothers teeth under UV at a 70's disco really began to bother me.

I then read a report from one of our American brethren on the other site that told of the problem this beam scatter had when he was going home one dark night through a rainstorm. The led acted like a high beam in fog causing a sort of white out effect he found to be too dangerous.

There doesn't seem to be an easy answer to headlamp upgrading - all bulbs need to work with the reflectors to be safe and useful.

Perhaps I'll just buy a new Crossrunner instead....

• Like 2