Rear wheel removal

Guest Smidsy

Removal is straightforward if you follow the manual. Putting it back on is a bit of a balancing act getting everything lined up. Better if you can make it a two man job. I managed by myself but it was a bit of a struggle.

(I hope you have centre or paddock stand and a torque wrench!)

uhm, I've collected more than my fair share of sharp objects in my back tire….i've repeatedly used gooey worms (plus) with a great deal of success. 

Although I'm laying down on the ground to insert them, I don't have to remove the back tire.

(I"m from the "if it holds air it's good enough for me," school of thought)

I recognize others are from the "do it right and be worry free," school by using proper patches or mushroom plugs.

Back to your question. Straight forward. Watch the rear brake calliper doesn't get out of shape before you re-install. Also, I tend to spend an inordinate amount of time obsessing about the alignment between the front and rear sprockets. If you don't have the fancy tool, eyeballing across the top of the chain and measuring the center-to-center of the axle and swing arm pivots usually sets my mind at ease.

• 2 years later...
Dunnster

Having a read through the procedure, is it necessary to remove the rear wheel speed sensor?AKA the abs monitor. 

Guest machinman
33 minutes ago, Dunnster said:

Having a read through the procedure, is it necessary to remove the rear wheel speed sensor?AKA the abs monitor. 

No need to remove sensor, everything stays in the carrier.

Dunnster
7 hours ago, machinman said:

No need to remove sensor, everything stays in the carrier.

Yeah that's what I thought, but according to the manual, remove speed sensor!

:turned:

• Like 1
Dunnster
8 hours ago, bonekicker said:

Be careful with the sensor and ABS ring--the wheel is heavy so get a hand--just be careful --let us know how you get on--grease the spindle at same time :thumbsup:

I was very careful Boney, that wheel is heavy and I greased my spindle good n proper :drool:

Think the manual stating to remove the abs sensor is incase it gets damaged with removal and refitting. 

Edited by Dunnster
Dunnster
1 minute ago, bonekicker said:

Mike do you grease your spindle regularly? :ermm: Does the wife lend a hand?:baby:

Only when I have to. No the wife is too heavy handed but she did hold the brake pedal down when I was tightening up my sprocket nut :D

• Like 1

Not a bad idea to clean and grease the wheel bearing  seals as well, when the wheel is off.

• Thanks 1