Clutch problem

Guest Sean

My NC750X was always just a bit notchy when changing gear and I thought with use it would loosen up, but it has got worse. Now it won't go into neutral at a standstill when engine is warmed up. Honda are replacing the clutch under warranty but can't get the steel plates as they are on a boat from Japan. It'll be 3-4 weeks from them taking my bike apart to getting it fixed. Anyone had similar problems? Bike has done 3000 miles from May this year. Except for 200 of those miles around town the rest would have been in about 20 journeys where the bike would be in top gear most of the time touring. That is filling up and riding until it needed re-fuelled. So, little use of clutch.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kevo

• Rocker66

• embee

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Let me just get this straight, people having problems with a MANUAL clutch? Surely not? Only kidding, honest.

Have you experimented with different oils and different oil levels?   I've found Castrol Power1 is good regarding clutch drag and shift quality. The NC manual shows 10W30 is suitable for UK type amb

Hi All, yes I have a clutch problem, Notchy into 1st  N and 2 second,  Then at 5200 mls total (Iv'e only done 500 miles ) the clutch started slipping in 6 gear ,  during the journey home , it graduall

Hi, my 750X also has a notchy clutch which I hoped would get better with use. I'm at about 5.5k miles now and changed the oil at 4k which helped a bit. Its strange that it changes perfectly smoothly mostly, but occasionally is a bit notchy going from 1st to 2nd and it sometimes needs a blip of the throttle to get from 1st to neutral.

mine had the same problem, it wouldn't go into N and very difficult downshifting. Took it to dealer and apparently they changed whole clutch. Its fine now

Bike is only 5 months old

Sometimes I have similar problem, other times it is perfectly OK ... Will check with the dealer when changing the oil sometime next week.

Guest motorboy

Never had that problem with my 700 but the clutch free play had to be just right for good shifts Honda says 10mm-20mm at the lever end I found any more than 10mm hard shifting

Blipping the throttle when trying to go from 1st to N or 2nd to N helped. Otherwise you could go up and down 20 times from 1st to 2nd and back again without ever getting neutral. First 10 min of ride are fine and it works as it should. When the engine gets warm it won't change to neutral without blipping or switching off engine.

I did adjust the clutch lever but I don't know if it made any difference. Maybe slightly. Bike was in dealers and they took it apart but they couldn't get the parts for it (clutch plates) as they are on a boat from Japan. They had it for over a week and lent me a bike but I asked them to rebuild it while we wait for parts. On the journey home it was much better even though it was same old parts. I think changing all the clutch plates is what fixes it.

Have you experimented with different oils and different oil levels?

I've found Castrol Power1 is good regarding clutch drag and shift quality. The NC manual shows 10W30 is suitable for UK type ambients, but I have a feeling a lot of dealers will use 10W40 since so many other bikes use this and one bulk drum makes their life easier. Might be worth a try.

Some bikes are much more sensitive to oil level than others, and generally speaking any amount of overfill will often cause a lot of gear selection issues. Try dropping the oil level down to the lower half of the dipstick range. Dealers seem to have a habit of overfilling the oil.

• Like 1

Yesterday had the second service and now going to neutral is much, much better. Will keep an eye on that.

My bike has been in the dealers for the past month waiting  for new steel clutch plates.

I am hoping to get it back next week, it is costing me a lot more in fuel using our cbf500!!

4k miles and not an ounce of trouble from my 750X

Lucky perhaps?

Clutch plates arrived for my NC750x on Monday got the steel and "fibre" clutch plates in on Wednesday. I still had my bike and used it as I asked them to put it together again while we waited for the parts. Works fine now it's fixed. The steel clutch plates had strange straight marks on them. Like straight lines. They said they hadn't seen that type of damage before and didn't know what could have caused it. When they had rebuilt the bike before with the old plates to keep me on the road it did go into neutral much better than before even though same plates.

same prob with mine and spoke with the dealer 3 weeks back but still having problems with this going back again will let you know

steelhorseuk

My bike has been in the dealers for the past month waiting  for new steel clutch plates.

I am hoping to get it back next week, it is costing me a lot more in fuel using our cbf500!!

Philip, for bikes that are still inside the warranty I advise you and everyone experiencing extended off the road time to keep a note of extra fuel costs and record the time your bike is out of action.

Pass this information to Honda UK and ask for compensation to cover the costs.

They will not give you the cash but they will offer you vouchers to spend but you must be persistent.

--Mark--

I am just glad to have the bike back Mark,  the dealer did offer to put the bike back together while the parts tuned up but I thought it would be best to wait as we had the 500.

Due to the good weather we have put over 800 miles on the cbf which has shown up how much better the NC is on fuel.

Using the cbf 500 for the past month has made me realise how good the 750 is :ahappy:

• 8 months later...
Guest DelBoy

Picked mine up this morning after it's 8k service. they told me that the mechanic reported that the clutch was not right. The dealer has put in a warranty claim on my behalf. I had noticed the the courtesy bike (I say courtesy, as they charged me £19, saying it was to cover insurance !!) a NC700S had a much better clutch. I also fing that the reach to the lever is a lot more on mine, I also compared it to the demo bike they had and there is definitely a problem with this too. The dealer said that they will look into this too.

They have been very helpful and seem to be very customer based.

Shame about the charge for a courtesy bike ! It this normal these days.

Hi All, yes I have a clutch problem, Notchy into 1st  N and 2 second,  Then at 5200 mls total (Iv'e only done 500 miles ) the clutch started slipping in 6 gear ,  during the journey home , it gradually deteriorated and got worse right down into 1st. on even  light accl's.

Took it to dealer > Honda would not cover it on warranty (18 months old)  , they said they don't cover warranty on clutch's even after 10 miles  of use from new.

Now 2 weeks on no bike and parts on order from Japan , May be even 2 week  of August.

Pretty poor show on both accounts , how can a consumable part be so long  . I see your note they agreed to change the clutch , pretty inconsistent  , Cost will be about £200  when it's done . Any comments please ?  thank you

• Like 1
baben

Kev, who is your dealer? That sounds very off as other people have had no problems getting their clutch done under warranty. I would enquire direct (over the dealer's head) to Honda UK in case he is trying to pull a fast one.

• Like 1

Yes Glendon have already submitted a request waiting for  there investigation . Sorry won't name dealer at the moment.

cheers

embee

Let me just get this straight, people having problems with a MANUAL clutch? Surely not?

Only kidding, honest.

• Like 2
dazznutts

what dealer did you go to Derek

dazznutts

i don't know if i have the same clutch problem gear change is notchy 1st to 2nd and engine sounds as though its racing when cruising at 80 mph upwards

Guest Madmax889

Hi all

Just made a post about my chain thinking it's causing the notchy gear change. After reading this post I don't think it is.

Again mines happening after it warms up not when its first started. I had the chain adjusted a week ago which made it better all for 10mins then it started again.

Am going to speak to my Honda dealer tomorrow and see what they say. If they don't help me I'll go to Honda UK who I had to call to get the tyres paid for and changed as they went after 1000miles.