Clutch problem

Guest Sean

fred_jb

Let me just get this straight, people having problems with a MANUAL clutch? Surely not?

Only kidding, honest.

You said what I was only thinking.  Brave man!

Fred

• Like 1
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kevo

• Rocker66

• embee

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Let me just get this straight, people having problems with a MANUAL clutch? Surely not? Only kidding, honest.

Have you experimented with different oils and different oil levels?   I've found Castrol Power1 is good regarding clutch drag and shift quality. The NC manual shows 10W30 is suitable for UK type amb

Hi All, yes I have a clutch problem, Notchy into 1st  N and 2 second,  Then at 5200 mls total (Iv'e only done 500 miles ) the clutch started slipping in 6 gear ,  during the journey home , it graduall

Guest Rev Light

Brave, smug, or just contemptible?  Its still an issue that needs looking into and not to be taken lightly or poked fun at.  It would be interesting to compare the gearbox designs though and the clutch types - i.e. are they the same type?

A couple of times, when the engine was hot, i.e. at the end of a ride, I have had to make more than one attempt to select neutral.  However, I have found this a common issue on many bikes and have not thought much of it.  That said I did adjust my clutch lever to bite a little closer to the handle bar at one point, as my hands are not that big and I find I have better control in the middle of my reach than at the end.  I did move it back a bit.  This might be part of the issue with the clutch dragging slightly, thus pre-loading the gearbox, or at least, not completely removing the drive force.  An adjustable lever might be a better idea.

I have not recently suffered from this, I might be riding around it, it might be a non issue.  I have also started a thread about intermediate oil changes which might have some bearing on this issue as well.

Cheers

Rev Light

Guest EasyTiger

We sympathise with any fault on any NC, Steve, and recognise the misery and frustration faults inflict.

In discussions of DCTs on the forum, the claim may be made that the manual version is more reliable and that there are no issues  with the manual gearbox at all.

Your own sad experience shows that issues can and do occur - and are worth looking in to, plus comparing notes with others on the forum.

Rocker66

We sympathise with any fault on any NC, Steve, and recognise the misery and frustration faults inflict.

In discussions of DCTs on the forum, the claim may be made that the manual version is more reliable and that there are no issues  with the manual gearbox at all.

Your own sad experience shows that issues can and do occur - and are worth looking in to, plus comparing notes with others on the forum.

I can't recall any posts suggesting that manual is any more reliable than DCT. Like virtually anything man made it has the ability to malfunction.

Steve I don't think anyone would belittle your problems. I hope that you get it sorted soon and go on to post the outcome on here

• Like 1
Guest Rev Light

It seems that I do not have the above reported issue.  I might have had it by mucking around with the bite point, by adjusting at the lever, so the clutch did not fully disengage.  But no more, it seems.

Cheers.

Rev Light

Guest DelBoy

what dealer did you go to Derek

PM Sent Dazz.

Can I mention the dealer on here ?

The main problem I have with the Clutch is the reach to the lever. I have tried other NC's at dealers and most were OK, a few were like mine.. QC issue ?

As for the gearbox, I sometimes find that 5th & 6th don't always engage properly, I get a "dash" in the gear display and if I don't re select it will jump out of gear. Could just be me not being positive enough (Used yo Yamaha gearboxes).

Will have to wait and see how it is after the clutch is sorted out under warrantee (not holding breath)  :blink:

Edited by DelBoy

well nearly  4 weeks waiting for clutch parts not arrived yet and no date.

Honda was supposed to be investigating my claim after the dealer said it was not covered. but heard nothing back for 2 weeks  so I phoned and their now checking.

But reading the other clutch faults above no one has mentioned a slipping clutch . So I suppose Honda dismissed it on  a basis of clutch abuse , certainly not by me .

So has anyone experienced a slipping clutch and had a warranty claim? I'll be interested to know .Regards all

• 4 weeks later...
Guest butlerm5

I've also experienced problems finding neutral after slow riding through the city or when instructing.

Something that's helped me is lubricating the clutch cable.

Will have to see if it fixes all the issues or if I have to take it in.

After struggling with one of those clamping oilers, I investing in one of those hydraulic ones. You know - the gold coloured tubes...

It worked brilliantly in getting the oil down with no mess, but proved very difficult to remove afterwards - Difficult as it having to hammer out the cable and seal afterwards!

I'll be looking at different options for the seal - plasticine maybe ?

trisaki

Should not really be oiling nylon lined cables normally just a squirt of gt85 does the job

Not had a problem with the clutch on my bike but had a courtesy 700 with serious clutch slip, but this probably isn't surprising considering the abuse these bikes get.

I adjust my clutch lever to 10mm freeplay which helps shifting a bit and lowered the foot lever slightly which, for me at least, gives more positive up changes. I only get the usual clunk into 1st, everything else pretty smooth (but not Suzuki smooth).

Edited by beep
Guest butlerm5

Should not really be oiling nylon lined cables normally just a squirt of gt85 does the job

I was concerned about using oil, and settled on a universal oil with Molybdenum off that auction site.

One thing that helped me make my decision was the manual - It lists Cable Lubricant against the Seat Lock cable, Luggage Box cable, Throttle cables, and the clutch Cable.

It wasn't specific about the type though, but so far so good with what I've used - The clutch is pretty heavy anyway and every little helps.

• 2 weeks later...

well nearly  4 weeks waiting for clutch parts not arrived yet and no date.

Honda was supposed to be investigating my claim after the dealer said it was not covered. but heard nothing back for 2 weeks  so I phoned and their now checking.

But reading the other clutch faults above no one has mentioned a slipping clutch . So I suppose Honda dismissed it on  a basis of clutch abuse , certainly not by me .

So has anyone experienced a slipping clutch and had a warranty claim? I'll be interested to know .Regards all

Well here we are end of August still no clutch parts (friction discs) to repair my bike, still on the elusive boat from Japan  since 26 June , got on to Honda apologies galore but no parts new schedule date 11 Sept .

Now to miss dunton to Harwich charity ride .

How can a prestige manufacture have such a poor supply chain , have they not heard of airplanes or storage areas in Europe . I think I'll must change to Triumph in the near future , at least they make parts here.A shame as I like the nc bike

Has anyone else experience such a wait.

?

Rocker66

Honda always had (I thought that they still do) have a parts distribution centre in Holland.

As to Triumph I think you will find that many of the parts and even some of the bikes are made abroad

• Like 1
Guest dentonlad

Well here we are end of August still no clutch parts (friction discs) to repair my bike, still on the elusive boat from Japan  since 26 June , got on to Honda apologies galore but no parts new schedule date 11 Sept .

Now to miss dunton to Harwich charity ride .

How can a prestige manufacture have such a poor supply chain , have they not heard of airplanes or storage areas in Europe . I think I'll must change to Triumph in the near future , at least they make parts here.A shame as I like the nc bike

Has anyone else experience such a wait.

?

Honda Europe is based in Belgium which is where their stash of spares is kept.

I had problems with bits needed for the repairs to the Crosstourer (some will be familiar with the tale) taking months to arrive from Japan. Wozza also had to wait about two months for new handlebars, when his S was knocked over.

I kept on nagging and nagging and magically whatever was needed turned up a month earlier than it was supposed to. Still took 13 weeks mind.......

Rocker66

Honda Europe is based in Belgium which is where their stash of spares is kept.

I had problems with bits needed for the repairs to the Crosstourer (some will be familiar with the tale) taking months to arrive from Japan. Wozza also had to wait about two months for new handlebars, when his S was knocked over.

I kept on nagging and nagging and magically whatever was needed turned up a month earlier than it was supposed to. Still took 13 weeks mind.......

Well I was quite close with Holland :) :)

Hope you didn't drive those trains like that rocker but it would explain why you have visited all these places on you bikes over the years , just popping out to get some chips . Bonjour Monsieur Avec vou any frites .its only 22 mile out :0))

Rocker66

Hope you didn't drive those trains like that rocker but it would explain why you have visited all these places on you bikes over the years , just popping out to get some chips . Bonjour Monsieur Avec vou any frites .its only 22 mile out :0))

That would have been quite funny if I had actually been a train driver :)

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

i Doug any luck yet , mine took 9 weeks in all. Lost most of the summer riding.

But my gear changes very smooth now . eventually no charge and a voucher towards a service  

With a clutch which is a little hot I have found it hard to get neutral (Not on an NC), this is caused with a little drag I believe. Anyway the way I got neutral was to switch the engine off and then neutral is easy engaged and it proves clutch drag is happening.

Guest DelBoy

PM Sent Dazz.

Can I mention the dealer on here ?

The main problem I have with the Clutch is the reach to the lever. I have tried other NC's at dealers and most were OK, a few were like mine.. QC issue ?

As for the gearbox, I sometimes find that 5th & 6th don't always engage properly, I get a "dash" in the gear display and if I don't re select it will jump out of gear. Could just be me not being positive enough (Used yo Yamaha gearboxes).

Will have to wait and see how it is after the clutch is sorted out under warrantee (not holding breath)  :blink:

All clutch internals replaced by Honda under warranty FOC.

Result...

Rocker66

Glad that you got that sorted at no expense to you

I bought my used NC700X last Friday from a dealer and I'm getting the same problem, bike has done about 14,000 miles now. Can change up gears ok but changing down can be very difficult.

The bike came with a 3 month warranty so would you think this is something they'd sort out for me?