Ignition key problems

Dave H

I've had my 750X for 6 months and have had problems getting the key in the lock from day 1 but now i'm having trouble turning the ignition on and once on I can't get the key out without a lot of effort.

I've lubricated with WD40, dry film antistick, I've even tried electrical lube all to no avail.

Its going in to see about a new lock set.

Just thought I'd share.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dave H

• Rocker66

• dustync

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's definitely a quality problem as I have had similar problems with other bikes from Honda - they bend very easily and eventually crack. I am now very cautious when I use the key on my NC700S.

Guest Stephen S

Yup. Ditto.

If you look at the key side on, you might see that it is slightly twisted.  If so, try to bend it back into shape, ever so, ever so gently.  Then get a replacement and pair it to the ignition in the way suggested in previous posts.  I'm sure someone will come up with a reference before I can find it.

Mine wasn't great at first but I put a bit of simple 3-in-1 oil on the key and down the barrel and it's been much better, although not perfect...

bikerbampi

Nothing beats graphite powder for sticky locks.  :thumbsup:

Guest Stephen S

Nothing beats graphite powder for sticky locks.  :thumbsup:

Mine wasn't great at first but I put a bit of simple 3-in-1 oil on the key and down the barrel and it's been much better, although not perfect...

But Dave says he's tried a number of lubricants.

I had a similar experience.

Close examination showed that it was distorted. Other members have reported broken keys, which is guess the end-stage of the process.

Guest Stephen S

If you think the barrel is bunged up with oil and graphite powder, you could use my favourite, which is Maplins Contact Cleaner in an aerosol.

It's good at cleaning all sorts of delicate mechanisms that you can't get at directly.

If it wasn't twisted before it probably is now after all the hammer its had trying to turn it on.

A prudent course of action would be to get a replacement cut & coded and try that. Thanks Steve.

I've had my 750X for 6 months and have had problems getting the key in the lock from day 1 but now i'm having trouble turning the ignition on and once on I can't get the key out without a lot of effort.

I've lubricated with WD40, dry film antistick, I've even tried electrical lube all to no avail.

Its going in to see about a new lock set.

Just thought I'd share.

Check if the key is twisted. Mine gets twisted easily and I'm fixing it frequently (almost once a month).

Mines a f,,,ker to get in , just thought it was my poodgy hands. Will take more care oh and the bikes only 6mth old

To rule out the lock having problems try your spare key and if that is ok use it while getting a new one.

Have just put my NC on the road (and what a pleasure it's been to ride so far now that my CBR is on it's way to pastures new :hyper: ), and having read your feedback, I've been looking at this with a view to trying to avoid this problem. Is the turning/twisting action of the key in the frunk/fuel tank lock, being part concealed in the short lock but part exposed, with the resistance you push against when turning the key, causing that twist on the key which then caused a problem in the ignition? If so it looks difficult to avoid!

suffolk58

I don't necessarily think it's a key quality problem.

For a long time now, I've found, that if I'm not careful when I take the key out, I can upset the ignition barrel internals. Which means that the next time I put the key in, it doesn't seem to line up correctly, and it takes quite a while to jiggle the key in. Once back in, everything seems fine again.

Or is it just me....?

Edited by suffolk58
Guest EasyTiger

Is the turning/twisting action of the key in the frunk/fuel tank lock, being part concealed in the short lock but part exposed, with the resistance you push against when turning the key, causing that twist on the key which then caused a problem in the ignition? If so it looks difficult to avoid!

One answer is to get an unchipped steel key for the frunk, and save the chipped one for the ignition.

If worn on a lanyard round the neck, that spare key can also solve the problem if you lock the ignition key in a jacket in the frunk.

Many thanks for the replies & advice.  Its nice to know you're not a ham fisted git.  47 years of riding bikes and this is the first time I've had this problem.  makes you wonder if the renown Honda build quality is a thing of the past.

Guest Southerner

Have just put my NC on the road (and what a pleasure it's been to ride so far now that my CBR is on it's way to pastures new :hyper: ), and having read your feedback, I've been looking at this with a view to trying to avoid this problem. Is the turning/twisting action of the key in the frunk/fuel tank lock, being part concealed in the short lock but part exposed, with the resistance you push against when turning the key, causing that twist on the key which then caused a problem in the ignition? If so it looks difficult to avoid!

Russ - Push down on the frunk lid below the lock as you turn the key - it takes some stress out of turning the key I find. 

Eight months in, no key or lock problems here so far.

Edited by Southerner
glencoeman

It's definitely a quality problem as I have had similar problems with other bikes from Honda - they bend very easily and eventually crack. I am now very cautious when I use the key on my NC700S.

• Like 1

Yep, my key is bent.  Its hardly noticeable but when I used the unused spare it worked fine.

thanks for the tip on pushing down on the frunk, hadn't discovered that...cheers

sure it is, the proof is that the cheap, chipless key I cut doesn't bend at all now so go figure.... 

Guest scrumpymike

As I've said before, seems to be a strange technical blind spot peculiar to the motorcycle division of the mighty Honda corporation. The weird thing is that my Honda Civic has a key that would be strong enough to lever stones out of horses' hooves - even though the car has a starter button, so the key isn't subjected to any real loading.

The keys do bend very easily, mainly due to putting too much pressure through when opening frunk/fuel filler, or in my case not turning the bars slightly. When steering lock on.

glencoeman

When I had my CBF500, the key bent very easily and it was only used for the ignition. They are just lousy quality.

Guest The saint

Ahhh so it's not just me! I thought previously that someone had tried to nick my bike by forcing something into the ignition barrel somehow (if people even do this) and had jammed it up. I've tried WD40 & also ACF50 but which helps a bit, but it doesn't take long to get stiff again. It's ok, just takes some twiddling to get the key in initially.

Interesting that it's a common issue