ste7ios

I'm looking for greases that are compatible with Honda's specs and available in the E.U.

The specified greases are:

1. Multi-purpose grease (lithium based multi-purpose grease NLGI #2 or equivalent)
  2. Molybdenum disulfide (MoS2) grease (containing more than 3% MoS2, NLGI #2 or equivalent) like:
    1. Molykote® BR-2 plus
    2. Multi-purpose M-2 (Mitsubishi Oil)
  3. Molybdenum disulfide (MoS2) paste (containing more than 40% MoS2, NLGI #2 or equivalent) like:
    1. Molykote® G-n Paste
    2. Honda Moly 60 (U.S. Only)
    3. Rocol ASP (Rocol)
    4. Rocol Paste (Sumico Lubricant)
  4. Silicone grease (No specs here but must be SI 300, heavy)

Many of them are not available in all countries, so I'm trying to find equivalent products from other manufacturers. It seems to be a difficult task...

Any ideas?

Isn't it infuriating when manufacturers do that? They list endless products that 'must' be used - and then fail to supply them!

My advice would be to go to a well known brand - such as Castrol - and use their stuff. You can't tell me that it is so 'hyper critical' to follow the makers rules - which are mostly there to scare you into going to your dealers for service, who will (trust me on this) use any old shitty grease they can buy cheaply.

Obviously I'm trying to do this but it's not easy to locate them because many of the manufacturers don't supply this vital information. You've to look in all of this MSDS complicated information...

The above products are not supplied by Honda. You can buy them from Molykote, or Roccol but they don't sell them in some countries.

For now, I'm trying to locate them by NLGI number & MoS2 concentration... It's simpler. I've seen Castrol but they don't specify this information.

The plain old multi purpose grease (lithium based with NLGI #2) it's much easier to find it but you can't use only this. It's not appropriate for all applications.

The common greases in your list have direct equivalents made by many lube manufacturers.

I tend to use Castrol LM for general purpose bearing grease.

Castrol MS3 (also marked as simply "Moly") for a light duty moly grease (pivots etc, not continuously rotating)

Castrol also do CL (calcium base) for wet applications like chassis parts, brake pedal pivots etc

I also use a high temp version of Castrol LM (simply called "High temperature grease", ideal for anything on/near the engine, also suitable for wheel bearings etc)

The Honda Moly60 paste is available in the UK (despite what people will tell you) from http://www.motocrossworld.com/site/index.phplisted in the Honda Oils section. That's where I got my tube from, I visited since they are near to me. This is used on drive splines, typically for Deauville wheel splines. People have found alternative 60% Moly pastes on the auction site.

I also use "Red Rubber Grease" for anything near brake system seals etc. It's made by various suppliers.

Loctite aluminium anti seize paste 8060 (stick type dispenser) for fasteners into aluminium, preferable to copper grease (for steel/iron applications).

I have some Wurth Silicone grease aerosol, but this is not the spec you list. I also use Dow Corning DC4 dielectric grease, which is a silicone base for use on anything electrical, connectors and terminals etc. though ACF50 works well here too.

Hope some of that is helpful.

• Like 3