Sign in to follow this  
CRP47

Heated grips

CRP47

I have an NC750x & would like to fit heated grips. Any recommendations folks? I don't really want to pay Honda prices & a friend reckons his Oxford grips are ace but when I looked on FleaBay there seems to be many different Oxford models so don't know which ones would suit my bike. All advice appreciated.  :phone:

Trev

I have this version on my NC700X - Oxford OF691 Premium Touring Hotgrips

Already fitted when I purchased the bike so not sure how easy to fit but certainly work very well with the 5 levels of heat allowing you to choose from luke warm to toasty. Allows me to use unlined gloves on all but the very coldest/longest trips.

The 'intelligent' controller even turns off the power if you leave the ignition off for more than a few minutes so no need to wire through the ignition.

Rogue

I also have the Oxford Premium Touring Grips, again fitted by dealer to new bike so no idea how difficult to fit.

So far they seem like excellent heated grips and I prefer them to the last set of Honda Heated grips I had fitted to my old bike

Marvincon

On my 750S I used the Oxford Premium sports grips as they are the same length as the original grips and require no cutting. Very tight on the LHS and required enlarging slightly. A tip, if you are as clever as me, don't put the glue on the inside of the throttle side grip, only on the outside of the inner plastic twist grip. It leads to a solid throttle ;( Compared to the Honda grips on my Crosstourer they are excellent but the controller size is much larger.

Radarman

Any idea how much dealers may ask for fitting them on our NCs?

Guest Steve700x

Hi. I've had the honda dealer fit Oxford grips on my last two bikes including the NC. It was around £110 as I recall including fitting a couple of years ago. Agree that Oxford are good and reliable. The tightness of them to the bar makes it a tricky job without tools, hence why I got the, to do it!

Guest Stavig

I have the Honda ones but it was an freebie from honda when I bought it new. The problem with the oxford ones from what I heard from friends and seen it on their bikes is that after some time they lose the grip on the handle so they have a bit of slack and in one case the cable was kind of getting in the way on the throttle side. The honda ones are not slip on as they are the actual grip so no problems there. On the minus side not very easy functional. 3 scales and you have to go from max to med to low and if you want max is off and on again. Also from max to off you have to go through each one which takes 3-5 secs for each transition. But from personal experience heated grips do half the job. The other half are the handguards for a warm ride.

Arthritic Toe

I fitted Oxford hotgrips last year on my 700x.  They are excellent.  Took me a full day, but most of that was getting all the plastic off and on (would be much quicker a second time).  In terms of the wiring - arm yourself with a connector kit and some heat-shrink to do a proper job with the connections and get a relay from Maplins to make them switch off with the ignition.  The easiest switched live feed is from the rear brake light near the switch just below the front of the seat on the right.  Theres an existing connector there which you can connect into without cutting any existing wiring.  While you're at it, if you havent already got one, its a great opportunity to put a 12v socket in the 'tank'.

Good luck.

Edited by Arthritic Toe

Lenp

Data tool heated grips that's what I am going to get worth having a look on the web...Ride Safe..

upandhonda

oxford sports grips last 2 bikes -fitted as part of deals

- best 50.00 quid i've spent - latest ones switch off automatically if you forget- well recommended-sports and tourers have a differen

t grip pattern- worth comparing for preference

fat al

i fitted the oxford premium touring hot grips to my 750 dct a couple of weeks ago,  the left hand one  was very tight ie handle bar od is slightly greater than hot grip id,  solved with a bit of sandpaper on inside of hot grip, on the throttle side  after removing the  honda grip you need to file down the lumps on the twistgrip so that the hot grip slides on, making sure that the cables are in the right position before securing it with the superglue supplied.

al

ncmf

I had oxfords and they kept breaking and the grips would melt.

Now have the Daytona ones. Easy to fit and less wires as they attach directly to the battery and auto cut off when not in use, which unlike tge Oxford ones that claim to do so, actually work.

Also there is no separate control unit as this is built in to the left hand grip. So tidier and less to go wrong.

• Like 1

michael

My Oxfords failed…in a unique way (on my other Honda). They shorted and stayed on full hot. In the desert. At 114 degree ambient temperature. A roadside stop and pulling the fuse "repaired," the issue.

The NC arrived at my door with Honda grips.

They failed, also in a unique way. A portion of the left grip got very  hot and stayed extremely hot (didn't have my laser thermometer with me) so it was uncomfortable to keep my hand on the grip. They failed (no heat) shortly after.

Repaired under warranty.

Yes, the switch gear (high, medium, low) is fussy. Which is odd. Other Honda heated grips I've owned have a variety of controllers, all of which are easier to work. i'm wondering whatever happened to a simple dial? Even Harley has a simple dial at the bar end. Brilliant in its simplicity.

Anyway, because of my experience with the failure/warranty repair, I'm sold on the factory items. Of al the heated grips I've owned, those are the only 2 failures.

Guest The saint

If I dont get some soon, my fingers are gunna drop off. 

Looking at the Oxford premium touring jobbies. I'm not massively confident at doing this myself and not making a right mess, but alas, I'm going to have to.

It's the electrical bits that I'm concerned most about, how straightforward is this part of the job?

scoot_to_boot

You might want to check these. The website language can be set to English.

http://www.coolride.de/home/

You insert heating cartridges into the bar ends. No moving parts, next to invisible, but you have to drill a 8mm hole between the bar clamps to run the cables out.

If you don't like the 2-stage switch and find the electronic control to expensive, you can find several diy controllers described on the internet...

• Like 1

roddy

ROXTER heated grips £30 on that site, absolutely brilliant piece of kit had them on all my bikes , they heat up quickly and get very hot.

Forgot to mention I had my dealers mechanic fit them rather than flaff about myself.

roperk

does anybody know where I can get the instructions for the honda heated grips which I have fitted to my nc750s.

nico

I could send you a copy of the instructions that came with my Honda heated grips. They only consist of operating not instillation instructions. 

Nic Lancaster Lichfield. pm me your address if of any use.

Steve Blackdog

If you don't have the inclination to replace the stock grips, you can use Oxford wrap around heated grips. I have some and the are much better than I expected.

Mine are 'hot hands".

Normsthename

A much better alternative to Heated Grips are Heated Gloves :)

I have Gerbings, not cheap but worth it!

Only problem with heated gloves are you have to plug into the bike, not a problem on longer journeys.

You can either wire direct to the battery or like me plug into the accessory socket with an adaptor.

The benefits are that all your fingers are heated front and back!

I have had loads of bikes with heated grips but I know which I prefer!

Luxury :D

Andy

Guest Pappasmurf43

Plus one for Gerbing heated gloves. Used all through winter last year and were fantastic!

roperk

Thanks Nico but since posting the message I had a call from the dealer I bought the bike off to say he had found a spare copy.

djsb

Which Gerbing gloves are people using? Are they the hybrid type that can be powered off the bike with a battery? Are they truely waterproof? Can they be operated ALONGSIDE a heated vest? I'm looking at a long term investment in some decent glove so the Gerbings are interesting. I'd like the option of NOT having to rely solely on the bikes electrical system. Thanks.

Normsthename

Are they truely waterproof?

As waterproof as any other leather gloves i.e not very! :)

At least if they do get wet, it's a warm wet! :D

Andy