Body Panel Removal

Guest CBR45

Guest CBR45

Anyone tried yet?

I asked my dealer, but as the bike is no new, even they havent tried!

What they did say, was that as there are concealed clips, expect them to snap off when you try and remove the panels the first time. A common problem for VFR1200 owners apparently, but the clips can be replaced.

It looks like the black infill at the top of ther not-the-tank will come off first, but not sure after that.

I want to take the bodywork off so I can get busy with the ACF50.......

Guest CBR45

Well, I did this today...

IMG_20120412_152334.jpg

Its the biking equivilent of a Rubiks cube!

Lots of hidden bolts, lots of clips, panals that slide into each other, much care is needed!

And when putting it back together, you find that there are bolts that look the same but have different size collars at the top of the thread. So a fair bit of swapping around!

But, its so well put together and the body work is so enclosing, that once its covered in ACF50 I reckon its a once a year job. Shame I had run out so need to do it all again!

Edited by CBR45
Fishmanboy

Looks complicated, i'm sure there are only about 6 bolts on my SV650 and you have access to pretty much everything (The rear spark plugs are still a pain though)

Do that before taking it to your stealer for a service, save them snapping chunks out of it and knock 3 hours labour off the service bill :D

• 2 weeks later...
Guest happy

No, I just HAVE to know how all my bikes go together! It's not properly mine until I do!

Yeah, I know what you mean.

:P

Guest Kagan

when it is naked can somebody put a picture of the air filter-engine connection from different angle of view? I want to check an inlet point for scottoiler.

OK I accept I should wait for my bike but maybe somebody make me a favor.

The part is something Al or plastic, cylindrical, maybe you can see a throttle valve inside when you disassemble the air filter. Second throttle valve adj then sync adj are made at this point.

Guest DrPJT

Well, I did this today...

IMG_20120412_152334.jpg

Its the biking equivilent of a Rubiks cube!

Lots of hidden bolts, lots of clips, panals that slide into each other, much care is needed!

And when putting it back together, you find that there are bolts that look the same but have different size collars at the top of the thread. So a fair bit of swapping around!

But, its so well put together and the body work is so enclosing, that once its covered in ACF50 I reckon its a once a year job. Shame I had run out so need to do it all again!

You sir are a genius. :yes:

Just trying to get the side panel off to route wires for the scottoiler. Not having fun.

My first tip is don't try to do this at night on a black bike at night. :BangHead:

Guest CBR45

Um, it's a month since I stripped it, and I cant remember if you need to take the top plastics off (the fake tank and beak) before you can get the side panels off.

Sorry!!

Edited by CBR45
Guest CBR45

when it is naked can somebody put a picture of the air filter-engine connection from different angle of view? I want to check an inlet point for scottoiler.

OK I accept I should wait for my bike but maybe somebody make me a favor.

The part is something Al or plastic, cylindrical, maybe you can see a throttle valve inside when you disassemble the air filter. Second throttle valve adj then sync adj are made at this point.

You cant see that part well enough to photograph unless you strip the airbox off as well.

Guest happy

Hey guys,

can you point out the "airbox/airfilter" out in the picture for me ?

Thanks.

:D

Does the air-intake (on the front) actually channel air into the airbox?

Or is it a dummy vent (cosmetic) like the old Vmax?

Edited by happy
Guest DrPJT

Um, it's a month since I stripped it, and I cant remember if you need to take the top plastics off (the fake tank and beak) before you can get the side panels off.

Sorry!!

Sorted it. I managed to get the side panel off without removing the beak. The secret is to take your time and keep track of which allen bolt came from where. I had to take the odd one out from the other side to check the size. Went back together ok but had a bolt left so had to strip it again this morning to see where it fit. It's a lot easier in daylight.

Rev Ken

All I can say is that I hope it isn't as frustrating as the CBF1000 - it took several hours of swearing and straining for what should have been an hours job as the bolt holes don't line up, and some of the plastics aren't that clever. Still I managed - eventually and even washed it to-day - so of course it will be raining to-morrow.

Guest DrPJT

All I can say is that I hope it isn't as frustrating as the CBF1000 - it took several hours of swearing and straining for what should have been an hours job as the bolt holes don't line up, and some of the plastics aren't that clever. Still I managed - eventually and even washed it to-day - so of course it will be raining to-morrow.

The NC seems really well put together all the panels lined up really well. I've even started to get used to the silly little clips that are everywhere.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Mike5100

I always get allyearbiker.co.uk to ACF50 my bike as soon as I get it. They have a misting spray that gets the stuff into every nook and cranny without having to strip the bike. It's pricey but worth it I think.

Mike

Rev Ken

I agree, I've had my bikes done for the last four years and it is the only time my bike is REALLY clean and gleaming. More importantly the treatment protects the bike - but not if you drop it. :shocked:

He now has a range of his own products called 'Halo', but I haven't tried any yet. I've no connection other than a very happy customer. Oh and I think it costs £50 - and I get it done once a year.

• 2 weeks later...