New Tyres - What happened next

Guest Scubalol

Guest Scubalol

Hi members, I thought i  would share with you my recent experience.

On Friday I had 2 brand new tyres fitted at my local dealer. No dramas there.

Then took it for a few spins over the weekend and went to work on Monday morning.

As i went to leave work on the Monday night i noticed some issues with my bike.

20150126_171000.jpg

20150126_171013.jpg

20150126_171428.jpg

20150126_182210.jpg

20150126_182226.jpg

Some people who have seen these pics think the garage has not fitted the wheel back in place correctly, resulting in the adjuster plate moving and actually coming into contact with the nuts on the sprocket.

Some also think the spacers are missing, now the dealer picked up the bike on Tuesday and delivered it back home today, and there is still a very small gap between Sprocket and the swing arm, can anyone confirm if this is normal or put up a pic of the same area from their bike.

Thank you

Guest Murcuseo

I've had to tell the fitters both times I've had new tyres put on to loosen the back wheel and tighten the plates properly as they were loose.

It wouldn't surprise me if that is the culprit.

After seeing this I'm glad I made them do it. You're lucky this didn't cause some major sprocket/chain damage.

I would now have zero confidence in that dealers.

i cant think of the word that descibes those people -but It sound a bit like "tankers"

i am sure Boney will have a Lancs translation with the local slang word **** included!

MikeBike

What parts did the dealer then replace for you? Is it the photo, or does the inside face of the swing arm also look like its bent? If it is I would demand a new one fitted foc.If the adjuster thread/fork doesnt move smoothly properly in the swing arm it might prevent proper adjustment of the wheel. But anyway if it's been damaged I'd want a replacement.

20150126_182210.jpg

Guest bonekicker

What the ****** eck is going on?? it looks like the bike as been either dropped or reversed into a wall-- how could they have let this out of garage and made you pay for the privilege as ****** well.

Scubalol it is very frustrating to say at the very least-- have you phoned the dealer up and reported problem? but of course they said because you rode away and did not see or check it's not their responsibility.--- we must all check that any work done to bike is checked visually at least--that's all we can do anyway, but if the mechanic as knowing sent this bike out as road worthy then he needs to be ****** castrated !!!

Guest Southerner

Who the hell did that to your bike Scubalol? 

If the last pic is how they returned it, I'm sorry but they've mashed up that swing arm.

Honda dealer? Report to our mate Phil Dix at Honda UK.

That's interesting.

I'd agree with the comments that the adjuster nuts were not done up to hold the plate in place, which allowed it to rotate and "argue" with the sprocket nuts (which is what has bent the stud on the adjuster). The plate is dished so it locates inside the swingarm tube and this stops it rotating (providing the nuts are snugged up to it properly).

The interesting part is that my 700 Integra has cast alloy end plates rather than those pressed steel items. I know the 750 Integra has an alloy swingarm with completely different adjuster arrangement, but I wasn't aware the 700 had different end caps. Just checked here http://www.bike-parts-honda.com/pieces-honda-detail-61062-61062-NC700XAC-2012-F_26-NC+700+X+ABS.html and they are indeed different part numbers. Honda works in mysterious ways.

Some people who have seen these pics think the garage has not fitted the wheel back in place correctly, resulting in the adjuster plate moving and actually coming into contact with the nuts on the sprocket.

Some also think the spacers are missing, now the dealer picked up the bike on Tuesday and delivered it back home today, and there is still a very small gap between Sprocket and the swing arm, can anyone confirm if this is normal or put up a pic of the same area from their bike.

Thank you

I can't see any spacers in the diagram. The only parts involved are the chain adjuster, the swing arm cap, and the two nuts.

My caps are not very firmly attached to the swing arm...

Guest Scubalol

IMG_3759_zpsb522f8c9.jpg

Thank you Badger for posting the pic,

These pics are when the bike came back from the dealer. Looks like the gap is the same, which is good.

20150131_100648.jpg

20150131_100641.jpg

A very experienced bike friend has given the bike a once over and is happy they have done the job properly this time. There doesn't appear to be any damage to the swing arm.

I have not road tested it yet, due to weather, but hopefully over the weekend.

Although the dealer has replaced the adjuster and plates FOC, they are certainly not accepting any responsibility for what happened.

Lots of people have said to report them to Honda, but not sure that will make any difference, however, what will happen is I will find myself another dealer.

I thought I was a valued customer, bought 2 bikes of them in the last 16 months, a 700 and now a 750 plus lots of extras, clearly that is not the case.

So they will lose a customer and Bransons on Gloucester will gain one, which is a shame as I like the people.

Thank you all for your comments and support, it is very much appreciated. I am just glad this is the worse it got, but a valuable lesson has been learned, always check the work yourself, or get someone who knows their stuff, to check it.

Loz

Guest Agothaclypse

Outrageous, a total bodge job. I never trust the dealer to do a good job, so I always drop the wheels out & take only the wheel for new tyre. Cheaper & you know its been put back together properly.

MikeBike

Name and shame.

Edited by MikeBike
TheEnglishman

So long as you only say things that are true you're fine.  All those Esther Ranzen programs do it.  You're only screwed if you make things up.  Like the tabloids do.

Derek_Mac

Actually, that's not true debateable.

People can still take you to court for damages, in Scotland we can plead 'Veritas', latin for truth, which I recently had to do after calling a property developer a lying weasel on a web site that I had created.

The Sherriff agreed with me. :D

Edited by Derek_Mac
  • Like 1
Rocker66

I think it may be that it would be the difference between fact and opinion.For instance simply stating what happened to the bike would be fact whilst calling someone a lying cheat is only opinion albeit a justifiable one

MikeBike

Several people have asked that Mike, not sure where I stand, legally.

Happy to post in a PM, but this isn't a private forum!

Loz

Well we know it's NOT Bransons of Gloucester, as you are likely going there. Any others in your area you think you could possibly also try?  ;-)

On the other hand the offending dealer didn' just wash their hands and say not us mate, but fixed your bike. And I suppose we all make misssteaks.

Edited by MikeBike
TheEnglishman

FWIW, the website owner is also open to complaint as they're deemed 'the publisher' 

oh - and my right hand end plate is a bit loose(it jiggles) but as I've not had the rear wheel off yet I haven't seen what may cause that.  But I'm guessing 90 odd NM of torque* on the bolt may have something to do with it?

*So glad I bought a 1/2" torque wrench in an autojumble

Guest Peterpoddy

I'll tell you what's happened there:

The adjusters weren't done up evenly, meaning the axle wasn't square between the sections of swing arm. As the axle nuts were done up this forced the axle into the correct position, and as one side can't move forwards (the adjuster stops it) the other side must move back. This leaves the adjuster plate loose in the swing arm. It won't fall off as the locknuts hold it in palce, and at a quick glance it looks fine.

I've done exactly this myself, but noticed it happening as I tightened the axle nut and readjusted the adjuster locknuts.

These days I don't tighten the outer locknut down until I've tightened the axle in place for exactly this reason.

To my mind, any professional mechanic should be aware of this exact issue and should check for it. I'm a pro bicycle mechanic and there's many similar things that I have to keep an eye on.

I'd go back, be nice and polite, and ask them what their view is. If they're any good at all they'll grovel and replace your adjuster for you.

Guest Peterpoddy

Several people have asked that Mike, not sure where I stand, legally.

Loz

People do it all the time on other forums. Bugger all anyone can do about it. I use another forum that gets millions of hits a year and thousands of posts a day and we'd have no problem at all naming the culprit. If they have any balls, they log on and explain themselves.

Mistakes happen. It's how you sort them that counts. I could turn this mistake round and make a the OP a regular customer.... If it were me, that is.... :)

EDIT

Just checked the other forum. Nearly 7 million posts in in excess of 600,000 topics in about 6 years....

Edited by Peterpoddy
Guest Peterpoddy

So long as you only say things that are true you're fine.  All those Esther Ranzen programs do it.  You're only screwed if you make things up.  Like the tabloids do.

^^^ This.

trisaki

Wheel spindle should be tightened first before the chain adjusters are fully tightened

regarding the right hand adjuster  jiggling, i noticed this when adjusting the chain on my 700 i would make all the adjustments on both sides and then when i came to tighten the axle nut  i would be  behind the wheel and with the spanner hanging down i would pull the spanner  towards myself ,inadvertently pulling the axle nut and wheel spindle back slightly, this left the adjuster slightly loose and the wheel out of alignment, i now have the end of the  spanner pointing upwards so that i push towards the front of the bike.

al

• Like 2