Replacing front brake pads - NC750X

Guest surreyhills1

Guest surreyhills1

Just wondering those of you have replaced your front pads, Is it best practice once the retaining pin is moved to remove one of the calliper bolts and swing the calliper up for better access.

Or is there sufficient space to slide them out once the pin and retaining spring has been removed from the calliper?

Guest surreyhills1

Michael - Thank You for posting the details of the REAR Brake pads installation.

I will save this for when I get around to doing the REAR pads.

Don't suppose you could post the details of the FRONT pads by any chance.

Being of a pensionable age I can understand that you have probably only just woken up and not had your Horlicks and the eyes and not yet in full scanning mode :yawn:

(Only Jesting)

Mike

Derek_Mac

Here you go - FRONT brakes. :)

frontbrake.png

I've done it. Very easy (and I recently had a chat with a Honda mechanic to ask him why the dealer charges 1/2 hour for the work).

The key thing the instructions don't mention above is to clean the piston(s) before pushing back into the caliper. You don't want road grit to be forced back passed the seal. So: undo the screw; drop out the pads; clean the pistons of rubbish; push the pistons back in; seat the new pads; insert pin. Voila.

No need to rotate the caliper at all. It only gets a bit tricky if you're putting on a new disc with new pads (as you have less wiggle-room).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Nickj633

Have just done both the front and rear pads, together with a clean of the caliber and a re-grease it took about 20-30 minutes. Very easy, and I dread to think what a dealer would charge. Pads from webmoto at £22. Happy bunny.

• 5 years later...

Hi. I think I'll need to change mine soon, what do you clean the pistons with? WD40?

I've copper grease to put on the retaining pin thread, but wondered what was best for cleaning the pistons.

Also, do you remove brake fluid from the reservoir? 

Thank you

Edited by Tom_Bez
fj_stuart

WD40 will work but solvent brake cleaner is better to remove the muck. An old toothbrush is good to scrub the piston & caliper.

No need to remove brake fluid.

A caliper retracting tool is useful to push the pistons back in.

s-l500.jpg

stephenmcg

On all my previous bikes, I have changed pads without removing wheels or calliper housing but I have a memory that with my previous nc700x, I could only take out one of the rear pads and the other had some sort of bolt or something in the way.

i seem to remember doing a post on it.

like all bikes, doing an inspection of pads in situ give a pessimistic idea of wear and when you take them out, there is plenty left.

I have not tried on my 750x, Will check if similar issue

smcg in cold glasgow

embee
1 hour ago, Tom_Bez said:

Hi. I think I'll need to change mine soon, what do you clean the pistons with? WD40?

Don't use WD40 or any sort of mineral oil type product on the caliper/piston seals. The rubber used for brake seals is not compatible with mineral oils, WD40 is basically naptha (similar to white spirit) and a mineral oil mix.

Use brake cleaner, easiest to use is aerosol stuff. It evaporates so quickly it doesn't cause any issues with the seals. I always clean around that area with brake cleaner and a soft paint brush, and then use a small artist's type paint brush to apply "red rubber grease" around the exposed part of the piston to provide some resistance to corrosion. The RRG gets very grubby with dirt but stays soft so will subsequently clean off very easily next time.

RRG can be had in 500g tins for around £10, which will last you a lifetime (literally), or do a search on the auction site and you'll find a lot of suppliers of smaller size tins, albeit more expensive. Be extravagant and get a big tin, it'll always be there in the future and can be useful for all sorts of rubber items, good brands are Castrol, Millers, Renolit (Silkolene) etc.

Use the brake cleaner to clean the discs from dirt/grease/oily stuff, I do mine quite regularly.

• Like 1
alhendo1

While this thread is up and running.... What if anything is the best stuff to put on the pins?...I took mine apart before Xmas and gave everything a quick once over but tbh it was fairly clean anyway... I didn't put any grease on anything as it's a quick enough job to give them a clean every so often but if folks feel it's beneficial to put something on the pistons and pins then would a thin smear of Rubber Grease do both? 

stephenmcg

Alan

copper grease, it is a pinky colour and comes in small tubes.

copaslip,

copperease

other brand names I cannot remember

if you want to try it, give me a message and I will come over

i can throw you the tube from the road and you can throw it back when finished.

smcg (looking to get a haircut today if any open)

• Thanks 1
On 3/20/2020 at 07:34, alhendo1 said:

While this thread is up and running.... What if anything is the best stuff to put on the pins?...I took mine apart before Xmas and gave everything a quick once over but tbh it was fairly clean anyway... I didn't put any grease on anything as it's a quick enough job to give them a clean every so often but if folks feel it's beneficial to put something on the pistons and pins then would a thin smear of Rubber Grease do both? 

Try Bremtech brake lubricant PG10A. It's about £2.5 per tube on that auction site. 

• Thanks 1
alhendo1
On 20/03/2020 at 09:18, stephenmcg said:

Alan

copper grease, it is a pinky colour and comes in small tubes.

copaslip,

copperease

other brand names I cannot remember

if you want to try it, give me a message and I will come over

i can throw you the tube from the road and you can throw it back when finished.

smcg (looking to get a haircut today if any open)

Thanks for the offer Stephen...I've got a tub of coppergrease...it'll probably outlast me😅....wasn't sure if that was good for the pins but if it's worked for you then I'll put a thin smear on next time. Thanks.

alhendo1
35 minutes ago, matt28 said:

Try Bremtech brake lubricant PG10A. It's about £2.5 per tube on that auction site. 

Thanks for the suggestion....I might order one up in future and give it a go...see if there's any difference between that and copper slip.

I have some copper grease that I usually put on the spark plug threads when changing then, I'll put a very thin coating on the brake pistons. Thanks

I'll get some brakes cleaner ordered

Edited by Tom_Bez
outrunner
29 minutes ago, Tom_Bez said:

I have some copper grease that I usually put on the spark plug threads when changing then, I'll put a very thin coating on the brake pistons. Thanks

I'll get some brakes cleaner ordered

Personally, I would not use copper grease on the brake pistons, I use red brake grease.

Andy.

• Like 3
Grumpy old man
20 minutes ago, outrunner said:

Personally, I would not use copper grease on the brake pistons, I use red brake grease.

Andy.

+1