Now here's a thing !

Guest surreyhills1

Guest surreyhills1

When I asked my local Honda dealer if they had loan bikes they lent out whilst my bike was being serviced,Yes they said no problem,but there is an £18 charge for insurance!

OK right,but having tried out a Cross Tourer demo at the same dealer a few weeks ago there was no charge made for Insurance.

Also when I brought my NC from them last year and tried out the demo again no insurance charge.

Call me cynical but I think this is a way to make a bit more money out of us customers.

Mike, it's very tempting to be cynical under such circumstances. And with some justification. But I wonder if the insurance companies see 'rest rides' and 'loan bikes' as different? Most test rides are less than an hour, which reduces the risk compared to an eight hour loan? That sort of thing. Who knows? Of course, it might be you're right and now they have your money..

Having said that, my Triumph dealer make no charge for loan bikes, they actively encourage people to try the 'next one up'. In fact they once told me that most of the 1200 Explorers they sold were to people who had them as a loaner while their 800 Tiger was being serviced. That's the way to do it!

MikeBike

No other bikes you'd like to demo, whilst yours is in for service??

And if they say it's for insurance is that fully comp? With demos its normally only 3rd party. If not, and it's only 3rd party, and if your own insurance covers you for others bikes, then you don't need a second insurance and can show the dealer your policy cert/schedule.

But I guess it's just a way of recouping their costs for those that need or want the benefit. Normally demos are only short but a loan bke maybe gone all day.

But if I was a dealer, and I had the impression you were really a potential purchaser of the cross tourer, I think I'd be saying "Do you want to try the cross tourer again?"

Edited by MikeBike
Guest dentonlad

My dealer charges £20 if you have a loan bike and use it on their insurance. They don't charge you anything if you ride it on yours. If you have a test ride using their insurance, they charge £20, but you get that back if you buy the bike.

Once they know you they tend not to make the charge.........

My dealer charges £20 if you have a loan bike and use it on their insurance. They don't charge you anything if you ride it on yours. If you have a test ride using their insurance, they charge £20, but you get that back if you buy the bike.

Once they know you they tend not to make the charge.........

At £20 for a test ride I guess they don't get many takers, never heard of having to pay any cost for a test ride and I certainly wouldn't pay a dealer for them to try and sell me a bike 

So just for the record , we want the dealers to operate at mates rates and then let us ride around on their demos with the free petrol and wear out the tyres etc . On the loan bike issue well I think they should make one available if they are working on yours and it's convenient for you to go about your business , but as a dealer this must come at a price .

Mind you Whenever I've had my bike serviced at Kent Honda , they've always had a bike available , but I have bought several bikes from them so it's a balancing act I suppose

Rocker66

So just for the record , we want the dealers to operate at mates rates and then let us ride around on their demos with the free petrol and wear out the tyres etc . On the loan bike issue well I think they should make one available if they are working on yours and it's convenient for you to go about your business , but as a dealer this must come at a price .

Mind you Whenever I've had my bike serviced at Kent Honda , they've always had a bike available , but I have bought several bikes from them so it's a balancing act I suppose

I also always get a loan bike from Kent M/Cs at no charge. However I always try to take it back with at least as much fuel in it as when I take it out. Not necessary but only seems fair

ChrisCB

In the car world (leading Germany franchise) new or used car demo's have a £500 excess if the customer has a prang, the service loan vehicles have a optional £12 fee to wave the excess. My Honda dealer has never charged for demo's or loan bikes only highlighted the £1000 to £1500, depending on model, excess!

Rev Ken

In the car world (leading Germany franchise) new or used car demo's have a £500 excess if the customer has a prang, the service loan vehicles have a optional £12 fee to wave the excess. My Honda dealer has never charged for demo's or loan bikes only highlighted the £1000 to £1500, depending on model, excess!

Got it in one! This is the choice you make when getting a loan bike. While I am insured by my insurance fro any bike, it is third party only except for my bike.

Edited by Rev Ken

Meant to include in my last post about the issue of Honda uk wanting to charge the dealer for brochures that promote the bikes , not sure if they had to coincide , but it's a tough world .

I'm sure the dealerships that make spurious charges and give indifferent service will end up driving genuine riders away to another outfit and lose out in the end . It did in my case that's why I travel to Kent Honda

• Like 1
Rocker66

Come the pring we really ought to arrange a meet at Kent M/Cs as there seems to be quite a few of us that use them

dazznutts

Yes 

Come the pring we really ought to arrange a meet at Kent M/Cs as there seems to be quite a few of us that use them

Yes agreed

Tonyj

I shall be visiting my preferred dealership and getting little nancy spruced quite soon has its on 7500 +_ miles , i will let you know who I am as I will have a copy of the telegraph under my arm wearing a sports jacket under the big clock. :0)

Mikdent

I bought mine from Kent Motorcycles and get down there from time to time for a breakfast etc, keep me posted on any arrangements and I'll make a point of popping in for a brew and a chat.

• 3 weeks later...

A few years ago, my local dealer started charging the £20 for demo rides.

They had suffered several cases of accidents on test rides by "oiks" who were taking the bikes out for a blast, with no intention to buy.

They do use their discretion with serious customers, and I've never paid, even for loan bikes.