Puncture repair or new tyre

Guest nibbler

Guest nibbler

I've picked up a small puncture in my rear tyre right in the middle of it.  From the looks of it it was a small nail or something similar.  Is it safe to get it repaired or not?  The only reason I ask is that in my 5 years of riding its my first puncture.

bikerbampi

You will find that motorcycle dealers will probably not repair a puncture. I understand that tyre manufacturers say a proper repair is acceptable, finding someone to do it is another matter.

It's a matter of what you think is the safest for you. If the tyre is half worn I would renew it anyway.

• Like 1
Guest nibbler

You will find that motorcycle dealers will probably not repair a puncture. I understand that tyre manufacturers say a proper repair is acceptable, finding someone to do it is another matter.

It's a matter of what you think is the safest for you. If the tyre is half worn I would renew it anyway.

The trye has only got about 600 miles on it as it was only fitted about 4 weeks ago.

Huskyteer

Sounds like the right kind of puncture, in the right place! If you have a local bike mechanic, they'll probably be happy to fix it. I've done that kind of repair myself, but if it's feasible to get the bike to a mechanic I prefer to let the expert do it :)

Guest nibbler

There is a tyre place near me that can fix it so I'm going to pop in an see them Thursday on my day off.  I know that the puncture isn't that bad as the tyre lost 10 psi over 3 days.

Had similar happen to me with recent PR3 fitted to rear of NC750X: Screw dead centre of tyre. Fixed/plugged by dealer and had absolutely no problems since with several  thousands miles now done. I know some people are against puncture repairs, but so far my experience is that it isn't a problem. I'm afraid you have to make your own mind up as to what you want to do though.

Trev

Similar thread on another forum I belong to had vast majority in favour of getting puncture fixed if tyre had plenty of life left and tyre fitter prepared to do so, none reported any issue with a plugged tyre.

I myself have only ever had one tyre plugged (rear on an MT03) and it ran for the rest of the life of the tyre (over a year, approx 4k miles) with no apparent issues.

Guest dukie

as people are saying if its quite a new tyre then get it fixed the garage do a good job theses days , but it also depends where it is there are certain places on the tyre which cant be fixed but the garage should let you know....... 

bazza

I've picked up a small puncture in my rear tyre right in the middle of it.  From the looks of it it was a small nail or something similar.  Is it safe to get it repaired or not?  The only reason I ask is that in my 5 years of riding its my first puncture.

We had a good thread about it from our resident tyre expert-it's all to do with size and location -please read the forum thread (if you can find it)

Its usually down to your head -the thought of a repaired tyre ,the speed you travel at ,and way of riding!

Guest robin

It's fine to repair it in the tread of the tyre. not on the sides.  Plug it till you can take it to tyre fitters (not motorbike dealer )   He'll put a proper vulcanised plug in from the inside.  About £10...

Guest bonekicker

The main problem is most tyre fitters have for some reason stopped doing bikes??? so you will have to pay more at dealers--sorry to bring bad news--but that's life. :baby:

Rev Ken

Tyre manufacturers have strict guidelines for puncture repairs, and yours should be well within their guidelines. The only reason for someone not repairing it is if you had run it flat and when they take it off they consider the tyre structure may be damaged, or they 'can't be bothered'.

Guest Hants73

I had the same happen to me on Friday a small screw right in the middle on my rear tyre only had the bike three weeks phoned my local honda dealer who looked at it on Saturday I thought that's it a new tyre but to my surprise they fixed the puncture for me and now all good cost me £23 though but better than a new tyre .

ScaredyCat

has anyone tried one of those 'get you home' puncture kits? Are they worth having, do they work?

Derek_Mac

Do you mean one of those foam cans, or a plugging kit?

ScaredyCat

Do you mean one of those foam cans, or a plugging kit?

Plugging kit.. I think. The one where you screw something into the tyre, snap it off and then use a little pressurised thing to inflate the tyre. Like this:

bike-it_rep-and-air_tubeless.jpg

Guest Carl_L

Plugging kit.. I think. The one where you screw something into the tyre, snap it off and then use a little pressurised thing to inflate the tyre. Like this:

bike-it_rep-and-air_tubeless.jpg

Actually, the one you've pictured isn't the screw in, snap off type. The one in the picture ought to be good because it uses adhesive. However, I've always found them a pig to use & had mixed results.

The type I've used most is the stop n go mushroom plugs, but I'm getting more & more wary of them & started to look at the screw-in type (I've successfully used a bog-standard screw to get me home once).

The reason I'm getting uncomfortable with mushrooms is that you have to ream out the hole carefully so that strands from the steel belt don't cut the head off the mushroom. If you do it properly, you should be good to go but, if it does still fail, you've turned a slow puncture into potentially a catastrophically fast one.

If you travel a lot at night on a bike without a centre stand, a can of the foam stuff is still worth it's weight in gold - life's too short to worry about upsetting tyre fitters

Edited by Carl_L

I have such a repair kit. Never used it though. However I had 5 (yes 5 ;() punctures the year before and all of them were fixed with plugs. Didn't had any issues. However all tire guides says up to 3 fixes are allowed. All of them should be in a reasonable distance of each other. Anyway. I sold the bike and I don't know if the new owner changed it or not. It wasn't so critical as the top speed of the bike was 137km/h :)

Derek_Mac

Andy,

I've used the Rema kit that was in your pic.

It did work, but even after reaming out the screw hole I found it very difficult to get the plug through the  hole.

It did an excellent job of sealing the hole though.

Also, +1 on carrying a pump of some type.

I've also used a Stop'n Go kit, the one with the mushroom plugs, and I found the plugs didn't seal very well for me.

• Like 1
embee

Lots of threads and discussions on the topic of temporary puncture plugs over the years.

I recently watched a youtube vid of someone comparing various types of plugs in deliberately punctured bike tyres. The screw-in/snap-off type didn't work very well for him.

Personally the wiggly worm (snotty string) type seems to be the easiest to use effectively especially out in the field when conditions might not be ideal (wet, dark etc). watch the youtube vids to see how it's done, or not. The usual mistake they make is that you should get the plug ready fitted in the needle inserting tool before you pull out the nail/screw and start reaming out the hole. Hopefully you still have some air pressure left in the tyre, this makes it all easier, it gives resistance for when you push the reamer in.

Ream the hole, leave the reamer in place to plug the leak, apply rubber solution to the plug, pull out the reamer and push in the plug as quickly as you can. One and a half turns of the tool and withdraw. Leave it to set for a few minutes, trim off the excess, check for leaks if it still has some pressure and then re-inflate.

When touring I carry a 12V pump which is simply the internals taken out of a cheap car compressor, the working parts are relatively small and not too heavy. Shorten the hose and lead down to just comfortably useable lengths to reduce bulk.

Also as a side note, having just changed my Integra tyres which the previous owner had put Ultraseal in .....................it is vile disgusting stuff and it won't darken my doors ever. :mad:

Edited by embee
Guest Carl_L

Lots of threads and discussions on the topic of temporary puncture plugs over the years.

I recently watched a youtube vid of someone comparing various types of plugs in deliberately punctured bike tyres. The screw-in/snap-off type didn't work very well for him.

Personally the wiggly worm (snotty string) type seems to be the easiest to use effectively especially out in the field when conditions might not be ideal (wet, dark etc). watch the youtube vids to see how it's done, or not. The usual mistake they make is that you should get the plug ready fitted in the needle inserting tool before you pull out the nail/screw and start reaming out the hole. Hopefully you still have some air pressure left in the tyre, this makes it all easier, it gives resistance for when you push the reamer in.

Ream the hole, leave the reamer in place to plug the leak, apply rubber solution to the plug, pull out the reamer and push in the plug as quickly as you can. One and a half turns of the tool and withdraw. Leave it to set for a few minutes, trim off the excess, check for leaks if it still has some pressure and then re-inflate.

When touring I carry a 12V pump which is simply the internals taken out of a cheap car compressor, the working parts are relatively small and not too heavy. Shorten the hose and lead down to just comfortably useable lengths to reduce bulk.

Also as a side note, having just changed my Integra tyres which the previous owner had put Ultraseal in .....................it is vile disgusting stuff and it won't darken my doors ever. :mad:

Wow! It's amazing how easy it sounds when you apply common sense - it's a pity I don't have any!

Another great explanation Murray, many thanks.

On a side, side note, I don't use Ultraseal (puncture prevention) but I'd still gladly use the foam repair stuff late at night - I can always bung the tyre fitter a healthy tip!

Guest Carl_L

P.P.S: I wouldn't mind a link to the video if you've got a mo'. When you say they 'didn't work for him', is that in regards to a medium/long-term fix, or a 'get-me-home' measure?

Personally, I'd rather avoid reaming a puncture hole at all - they tend to be the opposite of bullet holes, in that they have a large entry hole & no more than a pin-prick inside.

My uneducated and, probably, misinformed, sense of logic suggests that a short stubby screw should hold quite well in rubber & be less of a danger if pulled out - as I've said, I've used a bog-standard metal screw in the past & it worked surprisingly (amazingly, in fact) well.

Incidentally, I'm a geek-freak & use a Garmin sat-nav with TPM's, so I'm able to monitor falling pressures quite easily - just don't want to risk catastrophic drop in pressure, which is always a risk with a reamed-out puncture IMHO.

embee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMBSLVuuDbM compares 3 types

For the wiggly worm type, this chap is quite good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fGAV6cZXyk

A screw will usually keep air in quite well for "get you home" purposes. Even if plugs leak a bit it's very unlikely to be catastrophic, If you're aware it's been plugged and make sure you stop if it feels like it's going down you'll probably be OK, just be sensible.