3 members have voted

1. 1. There are two types of rear pads for NC750x - per TRW catalogue

• I have NC750X DCT and I've got MCB634 type with cutout
    • I have NC750X DCT and I've got MCB585 type without cutout
    • I have NC750X non DCT and I've got MCB634 type with cutout
    • I have NC750X non DCT and I've got MCB585 type without cutout

Juggler

Hi!

There is a strange problem I've encountered ordering nonOEM rear brake pads for my NC750X DCT ABS 14'.

I've searched EBC, FERODO, TRW, BREBMO and found out that they are selling rear pads like this:

atSzXEz.png

And guess what? Here is what I have on my bike:

3PU7EKv.png

They are slightly different in size and thickness too!

Searching in catalogs I've found out that PROPER part number in TRW should be MCB585

dyKxrMh.png

This one is exact match in shape, size and thickness.

Here is where you can lookup pads for your bike:

http://www.trwmoto.com/en/catalogue/motorbike-search/

And the same "error" found in all major aftermarket brands catalogues for NC750x!!!

So if you have already seen/replaced your pads please vote!

Either something wrong with my bike (although I bought it new from honda dealer) or there is 'special' version for russian market (I can't belive it!).

Thank you for your input, oem and non OEM part numbers you've installed would be great too.

Edited by Juggler
  • Like 1
Juggler

No one ever replaced rear brakes pads on 750? Unbelievable!

Edited by Juggler
  • Like 1
Guest scrumpymike

Hi Juggler, thanks for taking the time to post this valuable piece of information. My bike has only done 3000mls so far, so it will be a while yet before I'm replacing mine.

Guest equesta

I ordered a pair of front and rear EBC "organic" ones but am tempted to return them as I realised after looking closely that the OEM/Nissin front pads are of the sintered/HH type. Incidentally - the rear ones don't have the notch like you show (EBC FA496).

On a slightly different matter - I've noticed that the non-OEM pads you have there appear to be the "organic" type.

I'm not able to see the rear pads on mine - are the OEM ones you have in the picture sintered or organic?.

Juggler

I ordered a pair of front and rear EBC "organic" ones but am tempted to return them as I realised after looking closely that the OEM/Nissin front pads are of the sintered/HH type. Incidentally - the rear ones don't have the notch like you show (EBC FA496).

On a slightly different matter - I've noticed that the non-OEM pads you have there appear to be the "organic" type.

I'm not able to see the rear pads on mine - are the OEM ones you have in the picture sintered or organic?.

How did you realise or found out that original is sintered and not ogranic. I've seen them both front and rear (ABS) and they look like organic to me?

Usually OEM pads are organic, not sintered, coz organic pads are easy on disc brake rotors, while sintered shaves them pretty much faster.

I changed my rear pads for EBC FA496. They fitted ok and I don't have any problems. I think they cam from Wemoto. The rear caliper was in a right state so it had to come off and be stripped and cleaned. I'd done about 11000 miles but I'm quite heavy on the back brake.

Juggler

Well, accroding to the drawing of EBC FA496 they are almost the  same as TRW MCB585 except thickness (I knew it!).

So, it looks like only ECB managed to get proper dimensions for new NC750X, all others are just copied everything from NC700... And made a mistake!

Guest equesta

How did you realise or found out that original is sintered and not ogranic. I've seen them both front and rear (ABS) and they look like organic to me?

Usually OEM pads are organic, not sintered, coz organic pads are easy on disc brake rotors, while sintered shaves them pretty much faster.

I accidentally did something a little silly while inspecting the front brake which required me to pull it apart to put it back together again :whistle: . So I took the opportunity to inspect and clean the front brakes.

The short of it is the front OEM (Nissin) pads on my NC750X are definitely sintered as they looked very "metallic" and on the back had the "HH" designation on them. I was quite surprised they were sintered too.

So are you saying the OEM rear pads are definitely organic? I've done about 6k miles and the rears need changing, so I'm guessing they're organic. In fairness, that's 6k of London start-stop peak hour commuter traffic.

Juggler

I accidentally did something a little silly while inspecting the front brake which required me to pull it apart to put it back together again :whistle: . So I took the opportunity to inspect and clean the front brakes.

The short of it is the front OEM (Nissin) pads on my NC750X are definitely sintered as they looked very "metallic" and on the back had the "HH" designation on them. I was quite surprised they were sintered too.

So are you saying the OEM rear pads are definitely organic? I've done about 6k miles and the rears need changing, so I'm guessing they're organic. In fairness, that's 6k of London start-stop peak hour commuter traffic.

Hm, it is very strange to me that front is sintered while rear organic. I will investigate into it more. And it seems true. Although my bike is new (less than 1000k) rear brake feels very soft, while front is pretty strong. And it corresponds to what you've found out! I wish you had a photos of pads with nissin part numbers...

Edited by Juggler
Guest equesta

Sorry, in hindsight I should've taken a photo of it but was probably too busy not trying to put brake dust/road grime/grease all over everything!

I'm going to try some sintered pads on the rear brake. I've read good reviews of these and nowadays they don't wear down the discs too quickly.

embee

Slightly off at a tangent, but on that auction site there is a shop called Blackpool Honda which I've used several times, and they have just reduced the price for OE Honda front pads for the NC700 ABS version to £34-99. That's still pricey but a good reduction for Honda OE pads.

I've just ordered a set. I was out yesterday on the NC and had the nearest moment I've had for many years, a Mitsubishi pick-up decided to start to pull out of a driveway to turn right, out on a rural main road with no other traffic as I approached. Fortunately I was only doing about 50mph and sensed what was going to happen, suffice to say the brakes work very well when needed, and I'm quite happy with the OE pads so I'll use them again when they need replacing (a good bit left on the originals yet). A bit too close for my comfort though.

• Like 1
Guest chicken george

Check part numbers at http://www.bike-parts-honda.com/

Thanks embee, I have.

This is the NC700 parts catalogue

It appears that the NC700 non abs (XC) has the same part number as the NC750 abs (XAE). 06435-MGS-D31

I have ordered 06435-MEJ-016, which is NC700 XAC and XDC. I thought these were abs and dct variants.

I'll find out Monday when they pitch up.

Thanks

brake%2Bpads.JPG

Edited by chicken george
  • 3 months later...

Hi

Im from South Africa 

I recently had the same problem (resolved) 

OEM replacement parts on following brands only gives pads with cutouts 

EBC

Ferodo FDB-754

SBS 

Galfer

I found a set of Galfer semi Metal with code FD103 that is a 100% (forced my local dealer to do a match from original pads before baying it) It matches my 2014 NC750X

The braking on these pads are awesome and will replace my front pads with a set of Galfer aswell 

The local Honda dealership gave me the OEM code for there pads 

Part No. 06435-MGS-D31

F.Y.I.

i am on my 3rd set of brake pads front and rear and my bike has total of 18500km on 

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Hi Guest Riggs

Where did you get your pads from? It seems Honda in Cape Town does not have stock.

Thanks

Edited by snotkop
  • 10 months later...

Hello All,

I know this is an old topic, but now it is time to change my brake pads on my NC750 X DCT 2014 model.

I'm planning to buy EBC HH pads, but there is a little confusion what type I need for rear break.

Here in the forum everybody mention FA496HH, but the EBC catalogue drop me FA140HH for this bike and FA496HH for the non-DCT version.

Is it possible that XA and XD versions have different pads? I didn't see any difference in the original OEM pad numbers for the two models.

Is there anybody, who already changed it in 2014 750XD bike? 

Thanks

Edited by TGreg
typo
DaveM59

...and to add further confusion if you enter your bike details into Sportsbike shop it says FA174 but the picture of all three is the same.

Is there no identifying marks on the old pads?

I did not take out the old pads yet, but this is OEM, so I suppose I have the OEM part number as mentioned.

In the meantime the local EBC distributor cleared the things: in the old EBC database it was a mistake really. All NC750 model needs FA496HH.

Nevertheless the FA140HH and FA496HH is exactly the same shape, but 140 is 1mm thicker

DaveM59

Would the thicker pad fit or would it be a bit tight initially? If it would fit then go for that one as it will last longer especially if there isn't a price difference.

I have Goldfren S33 020 pads fitted to the rear brake of my 2017 NC750X.

The Goldfren catalogue is also wrong as it states 021 as the correct pad.

Below is a picture of the correct pad giving all dimensions. 

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=goldfren+020&client=opera&hs=dXR&tbm=isch&source=iu&pf=m&ictx=1&fir=0X7HVxhF6oDl7M%3A%2C26LghF8JmTj8FM%2C_&usg=__el-twVYYFX8qfd0J0hR-m3lLQRE%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiJ3Njz3fnWAhUMmrQKHbC_AdsQ9QEISzAH#imgrc=0X7HVxhF6oDl7M:

Still trying to find good front pads as have juddering/squealing with OEM, and to a lesser extent with others I have tried.

Will keep you posted on my hopefully successful outcome.

Edited by skorpion
On 15/04/2015 at 10:23, Juggler said:

Hm, it is very strange to me that front is sintered while rear organic. I will investigate into it more. And it seems true. Although my bike is new (less than 1000k) rear brake feels very soft, while front is pretty strong. And it corresponds to what you've found out! I wish you had a photos of pads with nissin part numbers...

Honda website specification lists.

Brakes Front 320mm single wavy hydraulic disc with 2-piston caliper and sintered metal pads. 2-channel ABS.

Brakes Rear 240mm single wavy hydraulic disc with 2-piston caliper and resin mold pads. 2-channel ABS.

9 hours ago, DaveM59 said:

Would the thicker pad fit or would it be a bit tight initially? If it would fit then go for that one as it will last longer especially if there isn't a price difference.

I don't know if the thicker fits, but if they offer the other one I would not risk it. 1mm is not so much difference I think. Yes, the same price btw.