Sign in to follow this  
NCs4US

NC750X Rear Shock - Upgraded Spring?

NCs4US

Hi Peeps,

5 Weeks into owning my first NC750X...

With solo use only, the rear suspension is already wound up to its max but (having fitted a nylon tie rap to the chrome stem to establish suspension travel usage) the unit is permanently on the bump stop!

Having read a selection of posts on here, it seems that many riders have discovered the rear unit is only good for keeping the arse end off the back wheel in the garage.

Many peeps are investing in an after market unit - hundreds of pounds because the OEM unit is useless!

I`ve pinged K-Tech in Derby - No options for any NC range, Hyperpro`s website also doesn`t include anything for the NC range.

Hagon want to charge NC owners £300 for their replacement Unit.

OK, here`s the question........has anyone sourced an upgraded spring for the NC750X?

From what I`ve already seen on here I think the answer`s going to be in the negative?

PS

I`ve emailed Hagon to ask if they`ll do a better-then-OEM- spring that can substitute the incumbent bic biro spring !

bazza

Hi Peeps,

5 Weeks into owning my first NC750X...

With solo use only, the rear suspension is already wound up to its max but (having fitted a nylon tie rap to the chrome stem to establish suspension travel usage) the unit is permanently on the bump stop!

Having read a selection of posts on here, it seems that many riders have discovered the rear unit is only good for keeping the arse end off the back wheel in the garage.

Many peeps are investing in an after market unit - hundreds of pounds because the OEM unit is useless!

I`ve pinged K-Tech in Derby - No options for any NC range, Hyperpro`s website also doesn`t include anything for the NC range.

Hagon want to charge NC owners £300 for their replacement Unit.

OK, here`s the question........has anyone sourced an upgraded spring for the NC750X?

From what I`ve already seen on here I think the answer`s going to be in the negative?

PS

I`ve emailed Hagon to ask if they`ll do a better-then-OEM- spring that can substitute the incumbent bic biro spring !

please see the comments from Richard of Maxtons- he did a report on my NC 750XA at Xmas which is somewhere in the forum on mods etc

What he told me makes sense.if you harden the rear it simply causes the front to take more load - and the front is under-damped as well.

Changing springs and oil can be done - but the basic suspension isn't up to much -remember it's a commuter bike sold on economy and "use friendly" not state of the art handling.

Mine had the rear shock and the front internals done -less than a grand - but you get what you pay for

photos/ see http://s1293.photobucket.com/user/bazza950/library/honda

• Like 1

motorbykcourier

MCT suspensions in Stowmarket could potentially provide you with 'another' spring.

They could also completely rebuild / refurbish the unit.

But like all the these 'half measures' they will only give you a benefit for a while.

After discussing possibilities and outcomes with them I bought a Wilber unit - one word

Unbelievable !!

motorbykcourier

I agree with Barry's comments

As I also had front end changed at the same time with different springs and oil - again

Unbelievable.....

Tonto

I have just arranged for a wilbers rear shock and front springs and change of oil in front at Revs Racing in Halesowen mid may .

Ride in and ride out , they want a couple of days trying the front and taken all my weights , I was surprised to find my bike kit weighed 6 kilos without my helmet. 

• Like 1

trisaki

Can get you a yss rear shock for £287, yss are about same quality as hagon and the firm only make shocks

Rocker66

Can get you a yss rear shock for £287, yss are about same quality as hagon and the firm only make shocks

That's a new one on me. Do you have link?

Guest RobF

You will need more than just a spring. The damping on the standard shock just isn't man enough for the job.

Nitron shocks are very good and a similar price to wilbers. I've had four wilbers shocks on various bikes over the years but don't rate them at all, I find them far too harsh.

Maxton are superb shocks. I'm also very impressed with the nitron r2 I have on my nc

TheEnglishman

I put a nitron on the rear and it made a huge difference.  The stock setup is crap so stop trying to polish a turd, as they say.

And sourcing and fitting a new spring is going to cost almost as much as getting the proper unit that works properly.

• Like 1

nigel w

I also have the Nitron on my NC. My Africa twin has a Nitron as well, very good shock.

Boxerman

Hi hypro do a spring either through that auction site or the Nc shop on the web hope you sort it and post on it regards David

gardener

I am sure I read on a Bmw owners forums that one guy on there put a CBR rear shock on as he knew people who had done likewise.I do mean on his NC750X as well and not his BMW.

Edited by gardener

Crofty

+1 for Wilbers  http://wilberssuspension.co.uk/ecoline.php

about 250 quid made to your specs from the German division of the the famous auction site

Edited by Crofty

glencoeman

Hyperpro do list progressive fork springs and rear shocks for both S and X models on their website - you need to look at catalogue download for part numbers. You can get them separately or buy the complete fork springs and rear shock in a kit called the "Streetbox". Price for that is approx £479.

Has anyone tried the Hyperpro shock as I am interested in buying one for my700S?

DelBoy

I also have the Nitron on my NC. My Africa twin has a Nitron as well, very good shock.

I had the Nitron on my Old Fazer, problem was that it was so good it "showed up" the front and had to get the Hyprepro springs. But it really handled great after that.

Will probably go the same way with the NC, although I only really use it fo commuting for which the standard suspension is okj.

Edited by DelBoy

Guest RobF

I am sure I read on a Bmw owners forums that one guy on there put a CBR rear shock on as he knew people who had done likewise.I do mean on his NC750X as well and not his BMW.

That was me!

You can apparently fit aprillia tuorno shocks as well. I'm sure there will be lots of other cheap solutions out there.

Martin at winding roads is the man to speak to about YSS rear shocks. http://www.windingroads.co.uk

dustync

Which CBR shock might that be?

Regards J

Guest razorblade41

I was thinking of the Hyperpro Streetbox but the front kit does not come with adjustors.

In the end, I settled for a Matris Front Fork Kit and a YSS rear shock. They both work great. 

I'm from Singapore by the way and the total cost of it cost me SGD$880, about SGD$70 cheaper than the Streetbox.

DelBoy

I was thinking of the Hyperpro Streetbox but the front kit does not come with adjustors.

In the end, I settled for a Matris Front Fork Kit and a YSS rear shock. They both work great. 

I'm from Singapore by the way and the total cost of it cost me SGD$880, about SGD$70 cheaper than the Streetbox.

I was considering a Nitron & Hyperpro for my NC. But think I will go for the YSS as soon as they do the fork springs, will also get the fork top adjuster.

Cheaper that the Nitron/Hyperpro route (especially as I can get the YSS stuff trade thought a mate  :ahappy: ).

Also did you know that the guy who owns YSS is the same guy who used to run & own White Power... So the quality should be there.