Secret socket storage box...

Guest John_Minus_600

Guest John_Minus_600

Bit of a strange question, and admission/warning to any other clumsy oaf's on here.

I recently fitted some givi pannier supports to my 700S, no big deal I hear you say. I thought this also, until I discovered the secret storage compartment Honda have chosen to fit under the seat.

I'd taken the seat off to get some more access to the bolts while fitting and set down a small ratchet extension and socket on top of the tank which then rolled down the tank and fell down in between the rear shock and engine. Where it landed was in a small black plastic box directly in front of the rear shock, accessible only from a small flap facing the front that as far as I can tell you would only be able to get to if the engine was out.

Apologies for the quality of the images.

IMG_2620.jpg

IMG_2621.jpg

As you can probably see to get into this magical storage box I had to remove plastics from both sides, remove off the frunk and brackets plus move the electronics just in front of the tank. What an absolute ball ache...

I did try a magnet etc before hand but could not get enough grip to pull it out past the access flap.

The offending item.

IMG_2622.jpg

So my question to you everyone is, does anyone know what on earth this box is for? Perhaps housing dome DCT electronics, or just an idiot trap?

Edited by John_Minus_600

Went through the service manual (not all 700 pages but a reasonable chunk) and there is no obvious box there. The best i can see is that it's where the ECM (engine control module) and PCM (power control module) live but no real suggestion of a 'box' in any photo or diagram.

Maybe its the optional 'drug smuggling storage compartment' - I'm sure i saw that on the options list when i bought my NC :)

• Like 2
Guest bonekicker

Yes John join the clumsy Oaf's club--we have all done it --drop a spanner--it slid down on the slippery plastic--and needed to remove several panels--before any work  on bike--cover with a old sheet--something soft that wont scratch paintwork--to catch any spanner or small part dropping into the bodywork--and the most important is cover battery terminals you don't want a spanner shorting across the live terminal. 

We all Live and Learn.  :thumbsup:

What the compartment is for ? I don't know sorry--it could simply be there for Honda mechanic's for holding bit's whilst working on the bike !!  

Guest John_Minus_600

Maybe its the optional 'drug smuggling storage compartment' - I'm sure i saw that on the options list when i bought my NC :)

Strange, the Columbian gentleman I purchased the bike from made no mention of the DSSC option....

stordz

As I had no idea it existing until you pointed it out I have no idea to it's purpose....... perhaps it a design feature or to accommodate something required in other countries...

Good to see that you managed to get your socket back, happens to us all :ahappy:

Guest Tibs

Seems like the obvious place to keep the owner's manual. You know, the one that tells you how to access the other owner's manual hidden in the bowels of the frunk.