Chain tool-Which one?

djsb

I may have to remove the OEM chain and fit a new one quite soon. Never had to do this before as I've only ever had to replace chains with a clip. Can anyone recommend a suitable chain removal/replacement tool or Kit? Thanks.

embee

If you have a centre stand you might consider getting an endless chain i.e. factory made continuous item, and removing the swingarm to fit. I've had the swingarm out of my Integra and it's an easy job, no special tools required, doesn't take long, and it also gives you the opportunity to grease all the bearings in the linkage and swingarm itself. This mean you don't have to buy the riveting tool and do the riveting yourself and you are confident all the links are good.

If I needed to fit another new chain this is definitely what I would do. You can get them from the likes of M&P, Busters etc who have their own sites and also shops on the auction site. I can recommend the DID VX2 chain from my own experience, a world better quality than the OE item.

If you don't have a centre stand it's more tricky.

As for chain tools, grind the pin heads off to remove a link, this gives the pin removal tool a much easier life. "Whale" chain tools get recommended on other bike forums but I have no experience of them personally (quite expensive for genuine Whale). Note there are different tools for different design of pins, hollow end or solid etc., make sure you have the right type for the pin.

Edited by embee
  • Like 2
kharli

I got the `free`  tool  with the ognibene chain I tried ,I have used it on three chains now but in my opinion you nearly have to break it to get the right spread on the rivets but it does work . I was disappointed with the ognibene chain though as it needed constant adjusting every 400 (but suffered no stiff links) miles until about 5000 miles when I swapped to a vx which has needed no adjustment for the 3000 miles it has been on . 

I will take embees suggestion for the endless chain next time ,as to my shame I still haven't checked my swing arm lubrication.

I also now use the rear sprocket for two chain life's with no noticeable detriment . I always replace the front sprocket,

Thanks.

Is there anywhere I can get a complete chain kit for the NC750X (520 X 112 CHAIN 17T FRONT, 39T REAR)? If not, where have people bought their sprockets and chain. I've just looked on the Busters and M&P sites and they only have the rear sprockets, not the front.