Painting the frame/swingarm

djsb

Just noticed a small patch of bare metal on the swingarm near the rear wheel. As I'm going to be removing the swingarm to grease the swingarm pivot and fit a new chain and sprockets over the summer I thought I'd do a bit of research into painting.

Here is a link to details how to do surface preparation

Not sure what paint I'm going to use though as there is not much rust, just about a 5mm patch of bare steel where a large stone has removed the paint. I suppose brushing hammerite is the default paint to use. What would people suggest?

I've just put some ACF corrosion block grease over it for now.

An inevitable part of owning a motorcycle I suppose and not surprising because of all the little rocks strewn all over the roads where I live.

PS The ultimate stuff is POR15 but it's expensive and theres not enoug rust. I just need something to do a few spot repairs.

Edited by djsb
kharli

I am lazy and just paint my rust patches with gear oil.  seems to last ages and prevents rust spread ,not for those that like shiny bikes though !

Mike5100

David,

I noticed the same problem patch on my NC700X - which then became two or 3 patches.  I then found I could remove paint quite easily with my fingernail.  But the weird thing is that the bare metal never rusted.  I was going to complain to Honda and get a new properly painted swingarm but changed the bike for the NC750X, and no similar patches have appeared.

Mike