Paddock stand

rjp996

rjp996

Hi, I'm after a front and rear paddock stand for my nc750x in preparation for taking the wheels off for new tyres and working on the brakes etc. does anyone have any recommendations on ones they use on the NC. I can see I need a rear one that supports the swing arm, but wondering what type I need for the front so I can still access the wheel bolts and spindle. Thanks.

Tex

I know you need to be careful with a rear paddock stand on the NC as the bobbins mean the wheel can't be removed while it's supported on the stand. I think the bobbins are mounted on the wheel spindle or something equally daft.

My suggestion would be to fit a centre stand. Much easier and cheaper too.

• Like 1
Guest Southerner

You can use a paddock stand with rubber 'cups' which lift the bike using the swinging arm.

Used mine on all sorts of bikes and if the bike had bobbins fitted, I just swapped the cups for hooks.

cazmal

I recently used a friend's Oxford Premium paddock stand on mine - so easy - lifts under the swing arm. (I was afraid I'd have trouble balancing the bike prior to lifting but was easy-peasy to do!)

I wonder, does/would the 'parking brake' cable get in the way of the lifting procedure?

Steve Blackdog

You can use a paddock stand with rubber 'cups' which lift the bike using the swinging arm.

Used mine on all sorts of bikes and if the bike had bobbins fitted, I just swapped the cups for hooks.

I have an Oxford Heavy Duty stand with adjustable rubber pads which sit under the swing arm.  Works well.

i got a universal paddock stand from aldi, you can set it up for front or rear use, for rear use it has  two L shaped brackets that fit around the swing arm, on the 700 i used to lift from in front of  wheel spindle but on the 750 the parking brake cable does get in the way so i had to  lift from behind the wheel spindle, not ideal as there isn't enough room at end of swing arm to sit in brackets correctly, even worse if chain has been adjusted.

i now have a centre stand and use the paddock stand for the front wheel.

al

ScaredyCat

Hi, I'm after a front and rear paddock stand for my nc750x in preparation for taking the wheels off for new tyres and working on the brakes etc. does anyone have any recommendations on ones they use on the NC. I can see I need a rear one that supports the swing arm, but wondering what type I need for the front so I can still access the wheel bolts and spindle. Thanks.

http://www.nc700.co.uk/index.php?/topic/9112-small-garage/ seems like a perfect solution..

Guest Carl_L

I wonder, does/would the 'parking brake' cable get in the way of the lifting procedure?

It doesn't prevent it but does make it more fiddly.

I only use a rear paddock stand when the front wheel is in a chock stand, so less of a problem for me, but it is a very valid point for DCTers.

Edited by Carl_L
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest DelBoy

When I recently did mine I found that my universal front paddock stand did not fit (the type that pivots and has a pin into the hole in the bottom yoke). it did not lift the front wheel.

So had to resort to a bit of muscle (got 'er indoors to assist) and an axle stand.

So you would need to check that it will fit ok, else get the type that fit to the bottom of the forks, which I am not keen on. sometimes difficult to remove the wheel spindle and no good if you want to remove the forks. !

I have a centrestand fitted, so no problem with the rear.

But, if you don't have a centre stand I would definately recommend the Abba stand (aharrr..!).

My pal has one and it works really well.

I have the NWS one (which I use for my other bikes), but if I had to buy again I would get the Abba, it is more compact for storage and is easier to use.

Yes, nice bit of equipment that Abba stand, however, it doesn't fit the 750X......and I assume the S is the same?

Guest DelBoy

Yes, nice bit of equipment that Abba stand, however, it doesn't fit the 750X......and I assume the S is the same?

Really.... That's a pity.

I might have to 'steal' the idea and construct something similar that utilises the main stand fixing holes......

• Like 1
fred_jb

I know you need to be careful with a rear paddock stand on the NC as the bobbins mean the wheel can't be removed while it's supported on the stand. I think the bobbins are mounted on the wheel spindle or something equally daft.

My suggestion would be to fit a centre stand. Much easier and cheaper too.

I agree.

My centre stand keeps the rear off the ground, and if I want to work on the front, as I am at the moment to fit cartridge inserts to the forks, then a small sand bag in the top box lifts the front off the ground instead, though I've also lodged a toolbox under the sump just in case the rack breaks off!   The rack didn't even flex with the load though, so that's probably unlikely.  Saves buying front and rear stands, and a centre stand is better for parking in many situations, and for re-fuelling.

Fred

A6K-3047129-2361-X2.jpg

Edited by fred_jb
Guest Robmdavies

I recently used a trolley jack to lift my rear wheel of the ground. I don't know what the part is i put the jack under but it looked solid. I did this in my garage and carefully lent the bike against the wall.

• 8 months later...
Guest DelBoy

I agree.

, then a small sand bag in the top box lifts the front off the ground instead, 

Genius.... :rolleyes:

I have to remove my forks too, never occurred to me to weight the back using ballast in the top box.

I have a conventional front paddock stand that fits into the headstock but it is not tall enough for the NC, so useless.

P.S. I have a YSS shock and am looking to upgrade the front (springs etc) What did you fit, and was it ok ?

Cheers Fred

fred_jb

Genius.... :rolleyes:

I have to remove my forks too, never occurred to me to weight the back using ballast in the top box.

I have a conventional front paddock stand that fits into the headstock but it is not tall enough for the NC, so useless.

P.S. I have a YSS shock and am looking to upgrade the front (springs etc) What did you fit, and was it ok ?

Cheers Fred

Glad that was useful!

I fitted Andreani inserts in the front.  I was happy with these, and found they made a noticeable improvement in addressing my main issue with the stock forks, which was the transmission of jolts from broken surfaces through the bars.  However, Griff has had a less happy experience, and also believes that the Andreani inserts may have reduced the fork travel on his NC, making it less able on very bumpy ground.

As a result, and also considering that this conversion is not reversible as it needs the standard fork tubes to be modified, then I would be reluctant to recommend this mod to anyone else, at least not without them taking independent professional advice.  

My thread on the upgrade to my forks is here:  http://www.nc700.co.uk/index.php?/topic/9285-andreani-fork-cartridges-now-fitted/

If you read through all the pages on this, you will see Griff's experiences detailed on the more recent posts.

Fred

Edited by fred_jb
embee

A relatively low cost and effective improvement can be made with springs from http://www.ktechsuspension.com/ and YSS "emulators" available from the auction site. K-tech do have suitable springs, even if they are not actually listed for the NC. A phone call will sort it. This does need some modification (drilling holes in damper rods), and selecting appropriate spring rates for you (weight and type or riding etc). This explains what "emulators" do http://www.racetech.com/page/title/Emulators-How%20They%20Work

Equally important is to use  good oil, not just the nominal grade but the actual characteristics. The white table part way down the page here lists the actual viscosities and "VI" (viscosity index, how much it changes with temperature). http://www.peterverdone.com/archive/lowspeed.htm

I use Fuchs/Silkolene PRO RSF (now rebranded as Silkolene "Maintain" RSF) http://www.fuchslubricants.com/fork-and-suspension-oils

Ideally you need to do enough reading up to understand what the mods will do for you. If you are into this sort of tech stuff then it's not a difficult mod to do. Otherwise you need to get advice from someone who does understand what they are doing and can do it for you.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest DelBoy

Glad that was useful!

I fitted Andreani inserts in the front.  I was happy with these, and found they made a noticeable improvement in addressing my main issue with the stock forks, which was the transmission of jolts from broken surfaces through the bars.  However, Griff has had a less happy experience, and also believes that the Andreani inserts may have reduced the fork travel on his NC, making it less able on very bumpy ground.

As a result, and also considering that this conversion is not reversible as it needs the standard fork tubes to be modified, then I would be reluctant to recommend this mod to anyone else, at least not without them taking independent professional advice.  

My thread on the upgrade to my forks is here:  http://www.nc700.co.uk/index.php?/topic/9285-andreani-fork-cartridges-now-fitted/

If you read through all the pages on this, you will see Griff's experiences detailed on the more recent posts.

Fred

Thanks Fred, but I think that just a spring upgrade and decent oil will suffice for me. as I only have this bike for a commuter, which I must say it has been brilliant at. I just think that the standard suspension is quite poor and I would like to improve it without too much bother/expense. For me the whole cartridge change would be a bit unnecessary for my expectations of my NC

Kind regards

Derek

P.S. keep up with the marvelous posts, I do find them most interesting and enlightening, you must, be like me, an Engineer, or at least that way inclined  :D