Anybody used JT chains?

Guest The F

Guest The F

I decided to go for a "heavy duty" JT chain and sprockets last time they needed replacing. Less than 2000 miles on, and today it snapped. Very surprisingly, it wasn't even the link that snapped. I was just wondering if this is a one off, or if others have had similar problems. Not sure what to go for as a replacement now. I need to get something ordered quickly though, the bike is my daily commuter

Guest nigel w

I decided to go for a "heavy duty" JT chain and sprockets last time they needed replacing. Less than 2000 miles on, and today it snapped. Very surprisingly, it wasn't even the link that snapped. I was just wondering if this is a one off, or if others have had similar problems. Not sure what to go for as a replacement now. I need to get something ordered quickly though, the bike is my daily commuter

The one I will use when I have to replace mine will be a D.I.D GOLD

outrunner

I fitted a JT chain to the XBR when I rebuilt it, no probs so far. I would be for taking it back, as it should not have snapped.

Andy.

Guest The F

I might have Andy, if I hadnt slung it into a hedge in anger :) I suppose as a good citizen I should go and retrieve it anyway, it wasn't exactly my most environmentally friendly move.

I do think I'll be going back to DID Nigel, I need the bike to be reliable as I commute 70 miles to work every day

embee

DID VX2 for me, very happy with it. Feels a completely different class of quality to the original DID chain. I got mine from Busters online (I had a voucher), other suppliers are available.

• Like 1

I have JT chain and sprockets. No problems so far. I'd definitely call them and tell them what's happened. I've spoken to them before and they were very helpful, (Uk importer that is).

Guest EasyTiger

DID VX2 for me, very happy with it. Feels a completely different class of quality to the original DID chain. I got mine from Busters online (I had a voucher), other suppliers are available.

+1. Bought a kit with sprockets (and free chain tool) from Italy.

Even with courier charges considerably cheaper than in UK.

Edited by EasyTiger
Guest bonekicker

Peter you must complain to the supplier--be friendly at first-- and let us know how you get on with the problem--god results or bad results please pass the info on. :cry:

Guest The F

Well, I've just retrieved my chain on my way home from work, and actually it is the link that has broken. I could have sworn I saw the hollow rivets when I picked it off the road yesterday. Anyway, I've emailed the seller regarding the matter this but I do'nt expect I'll get anywhere with that. No doubt they will blame the fitting of the link, and to be honest in their shoes I would probably suspect it too. I'll wait and see what they say though

embee

If it's the rivet link which has failed you'll obviously be struggling to argue your case. That's one reason I often suggest considering an endless chain, factory rivetted. This does mean dropping the swingarm out to fit it, but on the NC it's easy if it has a centrestand.

Guest The F

Im not really trying to argue a case as such. I've told them about the concern, if they are interested in looking into it then they can do. I'm not trying to put the blame on anybody or anything, I was just interested to know if anybody else had experienced trouble with JT chains.

Actually, while writing this, I've just noticed that my chain has GTR 520h GX1 stamped all over it. I'm sure I've read somewhere that jt chains have the model stamped on them, and as I purchased the X1R chain, thats what I would have been expecting to be stamped on it. I've never even heard of a GTR model, maybe its an old discontinued chain or something, or maybe I've been well and truly had

Edited by The F
michael

No, I've replaced mine with a DID.

In doing so, I had an interesting conversation with the parts fellow, about the "tensile strength," of the chain, not merely purchasing x-number of links of a 520 chain.

All men may be created equal, but apparently some chains are more equal than others.

steelhorseuk

Ditto! Not had a problem since fitting one of these!  Now done 5000 with it and adjusted it twice. :D

-Mark-

shiggsy

Well, I've just retrieved my chain on my way home from work, and actually it is the link that has broken.

how has it actually broken ? is it just a case of it not being riveted properly and its all come loose or have the side plates snapped or a pin has sheared ? 

Guest The F

it looks like one of the riveted pins has failed, though the cause isnt 100% clear at the moment. The saga has actually taken an unexpected turn. I suspect the front sprocket is at fault, or at least contributed shall I say. Its not straight, so once every revolution it has been pushing the chain against the engine casing and has dug quite a way through it. I wonder if as the gouge has got deeper its possible the chain has snagged or something. I guess I'll probably never know for sure, and just need to get everything replaced and the bike back on the road asap. I've been trying to contact the supplier, but to no avail. The phone just rings out and he seems to be ignoring my emails. When I bought the chain and sprockets I was a little surprised that all 3 items came in seperate plastic bags, rattling about in a box that was way too big for them. I guessed at the time the seller had just bundled 3 seperate items and marketed it as an NC700 kit. The dodgy sprocket, the chain with unidentifiable markings, and the lack of response from the seller is making me strongly suspect that I've been sold some cheap crap labelled up as JT stuff. I really thought I was beyond falling for this kind of crap lol

Anyway, I've ordered a new set of JT sprockets and a JT X1R x-ring chain. I've spoken with the supplier personally and I'm quite happy with my decision. I cant wait to get it back on the road now :)

shiggsy

More than likely that damage happened when the chain broke ?

Guest The F

Its a possibility, though the sprocket doesn't appear to have been bent, as much as just not manufactured straight. I'll never really know I don't suppose, I'll just fix it, forget all about it, and ride it. At least until the next thing breaks or falls off, which is a more common occurrence than I care for to be honest

Guest The F

confirmation that the last chain definitely wasn't a JT product....

Apart from the obvious different markings, the plates are much bigger on the JT though its deceiving in the picture. The X-rings are bigger, and they are white instead of black.

IMAG0893_1.jpg

shiggsy

Its probably the sprockets only that are JT.  There is a JT Sprocket GTR Chain kit being sold on the Worlds Greatest Auction Site for £72.99, (which kind of indicates the quality of the chain).  If you search on 'gtr chain honda nc' it should come to the top. 

Guest The F

When I noticed the chain had gtr on it, I searched and searched for gtr chains and couldn't find a thing, not even on that site. Looking at that particular product you mention, I think its safe to say that's the same seller I got mine from trading under a different name. The advert is nearly identical.